• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pursskit not failed

There was a lot of back and forth in that thread, so I'm not sure exactly what happened, but its a good reminder to always inspect your equipment.

THere is a pic....
Looks like bad rope tied incorrectly.
00small51421237.JPG

As an aside...this is also why you should clip into the tag end of your tether.
I would put money that he had a lot of slack on his tether and took a hard fall on the crap prussic and it couldn't take the force.

he probably just had an overhand knot tied in it. Hard to tell what the knot in his tether is...isn't an 8 and no tail

figure 8s or a splice on everything taking a load, prusik gets a double fishermans knot

and you don't want to cut your tails super short.

I took an assault climbing course while I was a Marine and I've never seen a Prussik tied like they have in that thread.

1st when you clip in you should never be clipped in on the knot. The knot should be offset from where it wraps around the main line.

2nd the knot to join the Prussik rope together should be tied with a double fisherman knot.

Which none of those are.
I'm sure there is more than one way to skin a cat though.

3rd make sure you use the correct rope. I use 8mm cord. My main line is 11mm static.

Gus's I need to Google the double fishermans knot. I no mine from lone wolf is a overhand knot. Anyone has enough 8 mm up two Prussik knots. Mine are to shot to make a different knot.

I agree its hard to tell what knot he has tied in that tether. I prefer the figure 8 on a bight or a spliced loop. I will also 2nd to not clipping into a prussic on the actual knot and it should be offset. Tethers should not have slack and everything should be taught. I would also be curious to know what kind of line that is as that is also important especially when life safety is concerned. I will always try to not spend top dollar if it can be avoided however when it comes to me going home to my family i will pay more for safety without question.

Have you used one of these. I like the looks of it. Is it sewed together or is that somekinda shrink tubing.

It's sewn. And yes that's what I use. It's rated over 4K lbs. I believe. The shrink tube just makes it look nicer. It serves no other purpose.

Nice I think will go that route. What knot are you using on your limbs rope

not sure what you mean by limbs rope. I use a 2in1 type lanyard. It allows me to work off both ends and go over limbs when I'm climbing and always be hooked in. When I get to the top I just tie off with a figure 8. And that Prussik that I linked is the only thing that keeps me from falling.

Wow! Scary. Couple observations from me.

I believe it should be a double fishermans (not a single fishermans or heavens forbid an overhand knot). According to grog knots app, it is easy to tie incorrectly and fail, so should be inspected. Double fisherman knot will lock tighter as more pressure is put on it.

As said, the knot should be offset from the carabiner connection.

It did not look like there was enough rope to have a proper double fishermans knot on the prusik cord.

This could have turned out different if a second figure eight was on his "tag end" and had that clipped to his carabiner as a backup.

Just curious, but I wonder how a ropeman would have handled (or not handled) this. I wonder would a second figure 8 not even help if the ropeman broke the main tether rope.

In any case, I wish him a speedy recovery and I hope it brings out a good conversation here that would help us all learn and practice better safety. Complacency kills.

Wow! Scary. Couple observations from me.

I believe it should be a double fishermans (not a single fishermans or heavens forbid an overhand knot). According to grog knots app, it is easy to tie incorrectly and fail, so should be inspected. Double fisherman knot will lock tighter as more pressure is put on it.

As said, the knot should be offset from the carabiner connection.

It did not look like there was enough rope to have a proper double fishermans knot on the prusik cord.

This could have turned out different if a second figure eight was on his "tag end" and had that clipped to his carabiner as a backup.

Just curious, but I wonder how a ropeman would have handled (or not handled) this. I wonder would a second figure 8 not even help if the ropeman broke the main tether rope.

In any case, I wish him a speedy recovery and I hope it brings out a good conversation here that would help us all learn and practice better safety. Complacency kills.

A rope man probably would have prevented the fall because he had the Prussik tied incorrectly.
Complacency does kill. Were you in the service ?

Saddle assasin - google arborist 2in1 lanyard. There are different layouts but the concept is the same. 1 rope that you can work off and be tied off on either end.

Back