• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quick climbing question

parkersdad

I see a lot of guys using the etrier on their Lone wolf or muddy sticks. Has anyone ever tried just hooking a Lonewolf or some type of strap around the tree and hooking in a tree and climbing up and sliding it up as you go? Here's a picture I stole off of archery talk. This guy has a rope tied through the loop on his. Could you not strap it to the tree and climb up
1120307a2109384978653ffd8ffb932b.jpg

I know it would probably be too close to the tree to get your feet in, maybe if you stuck 1 foot in it would be out far enough to climb. I have one on the way and will probably use the one stick method with this attached. I was just curious if anyone had ever tried what I mentioned above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIY sportsman tried it. Said it was more work than it was worth. He has a youtube vid of his go at it. I believe at the end of the video he said that he preferred using two sticks. Bottom one with a long etrier then he would climb to the top of that and use the second stick to finish his accent using the one stick method.

Without a stick it would be tough because there's nothing to grab onto to stabilize yourself. I use the short 20" muddy stick with five step aider and it's no problem climbing the aider while using the stick. One stick doesn't weigh much so I'll take the extra stability and height myself

I will probably end up with one stick. Every etrier I order is back ordered

DIY sportsman tried it. Said it was more work than it was worth. He has a youtube vid of his go at it. I believe at the end of the video he said that he preferred using two sticks. Bottom one with a long etrier then he would climb to the top of that and use the second stick to finish his accent using the one stick method.
I used two sticks with two etiers all last fall. It was a quick way to get 15 feet and then I could use the second stick to one stick climb. With good cover 15 feet was enough 70 percent of the time

I used two sticks with two etiers all last fall. It was a quick way to get 15 feet and then I could use the second stick to one stick climb. With good cover 15 feet was enough 70 percent of the time
Same but usually I go between 30 and 40. I like to move a lot lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Same but usually I go between 30 and 40. I like to move a lot lol.

The swamps I hunt don't give good shots if I am too high and I cannot trim anything alive or bigger than my finger. So cover for me is better than high

The swamps I hunt don't give good shots if I am too high and I cannot trim anything alive or bigger than my finger. So cover for me is better than high

I prefer to hunt lower when I can but my main area is all select cut timbered and I usually have to go 30+ feet and sometimes closer to 40 to get out of sight since there's no cover. The buck I shot last year I was almost 40 feet in a tree lol. I envy you guys that can climb two sticks and be done! Haha

I prefer to hunt lower when I can but my main area is all select cut timbered and I usually have to go 30+ feet and sometimes closer to 40 to get out of sight since there's no cover. The buck I shot last year I was almost 40 feet in a tree lol. I envy you guys that can climb two sticks and be done! Haha

I got my buck this fall at 15 feet and 15 yards away but I will go 30 feet in certain places. I am also 59 years and age has reduced my tolerance of heights. I envy finginairos youth and energy

Last edited:

Like flingin my area is mostly mature woods on ridge lines. Not much undergrowth with high canopies. Most of the trees are telephone poles so going stupid high is my only choice.

I will say that being really high helps with scent.

Like flingin my area is mostly mature woods on ridge lines. Not much undergrowth with high canopies. Most of the trees are telephone poles so going stupid high is my only choice.

I will say that being really high helps with scent.

I am sure you are both correct in your situation I would do the same I am sure it helps with scent and movement. I missed out on buck opportunities by being busted at low heights

Back