• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Random gear review (grapple hook )

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
There has been some discussion on grapple hooks lately and I got this thing in the mail and had to share.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P...1503884906&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

It's small, has a pretty strong magnet and weighs nothing. The pins store inside when not in use.

I am definitely going this route this year. In the past I have always hauled everything up in one load and this year I am going to put parachord loops on all my gear to haul up one at a time.

e9f63cf9cddfb1a1c6bddbfd36230ddb.jpg
26d3675890854e8836a34a6dae04422b.jpg
cfe6cb7c262da24311c7eee53b625259.jpg
b8ef7c22acd94e6ddcf7f8bb910102fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks! Just spontaneously bought one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It would be cool if you could twist or pull the top and the spikes deploy outward then do the same to fold them in for storage. I don't like loose little parts.
On another note, use paracord with reflective tracers or wrap some reflective tape on your loops and hook. Makes it a lot easier to grab in the dark.

Thanks for the review! This is something I will definitely be waiting to hear an update on after some field use. The loose parts are concerning to me as well. I like the design...but I think I would be tempted to glue the pegs in place.

Thanks for the review! This is something I will definitely be waiting to hear an update on after some field use. The loose parts are concerning to me as well. I like the design...but I think I would be tempted to glue the pegs in place.
I'm taking it with me tomorrow to try. It does come with three extra pins just in case.....

I'm taking it with me tomorrow to try. It does come with three extra pins just in case.....

Are you planning to transport it with the pins inside or set up on the outside?

Probably assemble once I get tied in and set. I figure as long as I don't drop all 3 pins I will be able to get my stuff.

Probably assemble once I get tied in and set. I figure as long as I don't drop all 3 pins I will be able to get my stuff.

Fair point! Good luck tomorrow!

I looked at that grapple, but ended up making one out of a large treble hook thinking I would save by making myself. I probably spent just as much as yours cost! Oh well it was fun making one though!

It would be cool if you could twist or pull the top and the spikes deploy outward then do the same to fold them in for storage. I don't like loose little parts.
On another note, use paracord with reflective tracers or wrap some reflective tape on your loops and hook. Makes it a lot easier to grab in the dark.
That sounds like an engineering challenge, retractable pins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can already hear the sounds of the pins bouncing off the tree :) (that would be ME). I have tethers on pretty much everything now.I like the idea of having a hook even though I pull up my gear in one pass as I just have backpack, bow and quiver and they are easy to attach

Well four days in the field, and I love this hook. The magnet could be stronger, but it made lowering and lifting my gear so much easier. And as an added bonus, I used it to pull branches back and tie them off to create a window to shoot through. I wouldn't have been able to reach those branches otherwise.

Attach it to a doyles

IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1409.jpg

tearing down and lowering gear like boba fett

could you take a picture of the inside of it? Think I can shove enough lead shot (in some kind of sleeve), to make it weigh 5-6oz?

Could double as a throw weight for getting throw line in tree.

Well four days in the field, and I love this hook. The magnet could be stronger, but it made lowering and lifting my gear so much easier. And as an added bonus, I used it to pull branches back and tie them off to create a window to shoot through. I wouldn't have been able to reach those branches otherwise.

Great...something else to add to the "need" list. Thanks for the update!

could you take a picture of the inside of it? Think I can shove enough lead shot (in some kind of sleeve), to make it weigh 5-6oz?

Could double as a throw weight for getting throw line in tree.
The center isn't hollow, but perhaps you could bore it out

3d3e8bd317a3210bb98b1c65f2802aa5.jpg

A 1"x4" steel cylinder works out to .9lbs... Boring a hole in the middle for rod storage,threading the end, it could end up around 12 oz....if only I had a lathe!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Yup. Super handy tool. I like pulling branches in too.

Back