• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling Rigs

CharlieRayT

Anyone care to post some pics of their rappelling gear? How would you attach to an Aero Hunter? Thanks in advance.

Can't post a pic now, but to hook up to the aero hunter you would just have a biner coming from your choice of rappel device which will attach to the bridge of your aero.

That is one simple type of rappel device. I would search around, there are lots of different types out there. I prefer a petzl grigri 2 personally.

But yes, that device would hook onto the rope, your biner would connect to the device and then to your bridge.

The grigri is a little more expensive than that one , but you have more control with it. Unless you have more experience, be careful, if using the one in your picture.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I honestly have no experience other than having used a Tree Saddle years ago. I am looking to you guys for guidance though. I want to put a good Saddle kit together rather than spending and not being happy then having to spend again. Spending a little more on tried and true equipment makes more sense to me.

I know there is going to be a huge learning curve but I feel confident I can become proficient at it. ( With a lot of help,advice,and practice that is).

I know there is going to be a huge learning curve but I feel confident I can become proficient at it. ( With a lot of help,advice,and practice that is).
Feel free to ask questions and you'll find help. We have tried almost everything around here. The grigri is nice but expensive. A simple figure 8 works on the way down, but not as well on the way up. I can take some pictures of my srt set up if you want. I added a hand ascender with a small carabiner and long foot loop to my grigri. On the way up I use all of it, but only the grigri on the way down. I haven't gotten comfortable with the idea of hanging from the grigri during my hunt however and use a second tether with a ropeman for that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's the one. I lock it off like this.

I used it all last season and it worked great. I'm considering upgrading to something like the GriGri2, but I'm not sure if I will or not.

@g2outdoors Uses this. You can wrap the rope around it a certain way as a brake to take your platform down.

https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Exotica...478552786&sr=8-1&keywords=Rock+Exotica+Mini+8

I will be purchasing this one this off season for next season.
Yep. I used a micro 8 with blue water titan rope for rapelling most of last year. I used it with a dual rope rappel. It works but some people didn't like the size of the rope.
cf5f365fedf81de5f81ca02588bcac6e.jpg
659bd0c4a6440815656cdbe515a28764.jpg

Is the orange rope your autoblock?
Yep. It's a blakes hitch with the other end attached to my d-loop. There is so much friction in this setup that the autoblock is really only there in case I slip or want to stop to remove platform etc.

The only problem I had with this system is the rope sheath tends to milk itself like a whoopie sling over the inner chords and then gets really tight. The bottom of the rope also seems to spin as I come down and can get a little tangled. It works and is very light weight. I can put the rope and the micro 8 in molle water bottle pouch. Currently I think I have somewhere around 85 feet of rope which may be too much, but I can't seem to bring myself to cut it.
ac7f21043000330a8de6a02f576c5c41.jpg
7d2675ebefb14a7bceda6c4d693d38df.jpg

I too purchased the micro 8 for a few reasons. It is small, light, and simple to use. I have only used it a few times just to practice but it will work and save on the wallet lol. I don't mind spending top dollar for my gear but "hey who doesn't like to save a little cause it would be going back to the next saddle hunting item anyway" lol

Ive been using a mini8 with sterling htp 9mm and after a rappel the rope gets stiff. Coiling it up, is like coiling up wire the way it bends.
Is this normal? Or is this combination damaging the rope

Ive been using a mini8 with sterling htp 9mm and after a rappel the rope gets stiff. Coiling it up, is like coiling up wire the way it bends.
Is this normal? Or is this combination damaging the rope
This is the milking I was describing above. I think the outer sheath is sliding down over the inner strands and since the top is secured, the sheath tightens up like a Chinese finger trap. I bet the rope below where you stop rapelling is really flexible?

The titan rope gets very stiff. It's one of my only complaints. Perhaps this is just a side effect of this type of friction brake? Or is it a rope quality. I don't seem to see the same problem on my bigger rope when using the grigri

Back