• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rifle break in

Erniepower

Vendor Rep
Do you guys go through the effort to "break in" a new gun? This is my first time trying it. It takes forever!

bb6705292183f0895f3eb8a3d5821b0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know if it really makes a difference. I just shoot and clean after some target practice. It will break in on its own after so many shots. How many? I don't know. Seems like after one shot with a clean bore all the pores of the barrel will be coated with copper. If that's the case then one shot and it's broken in!

Its a tikka super lite in .270.

I bought it for this back pack elk hunt I have coming next month.

5 hours, 50 shots fired, and 20 cleanings later, in done and have no idea if it will make a difference. My shoulder is sore though

Honestly I don't know, I got tired and sore. All I did was shoot at 50 yards with cheap ammo. A return trip will be needed. I chronographed all my shots though and was surprised at the spread. Almost 200 fps over the 50 shots without a real trend one way or the other.

Oh I want to try that on one of my rifles...... how hard is it? I assume it's a special paint?

I used duracoat rattle van for the base then just rustoleum camo paint for the camo patterns on top. Duracoat is like $30+ a can. The real key is to degrease well. I use break cleaner but be aware it will strip paint if any is present. The break cleaner will leave a slight white powder look when dried. Just wipe everything down with alcohol after and keep oily fingers off. The duracoat called for a scrub with a scotch bright pad before degreasing so I did that this time. In the past I used alumihyde II from brownells with good results. Dura coat is suppose to be stronger I believe. Just wanted to try something different. I love camo! Lol

If you don't like it you can always strip it off. Camo doesn't have to be perfect so have no fear. Just keep it out the action and barrel. I actually like it better a little warn. I want to get an airbrush set one day to have more control.

Do you guys go through the effort to "break in" a new gun? This is my first time trying it. It takes forever

Not really. I'll clean after each shot for the first 5 or so. Maybe more if it's really puking copper but typically just the first handful are the worst. Then once after 5 and again after 10 and whatever after that. No magic formula, that just seems roughly when decent quality barrels need to be cleaned initially based on what the patches look like coming out of them. Lower grade barrels may need more. Top grade hand lapped barrels maybe less.

Oh I want to try that on one of my rifles...... how hard is it? I assume it's a special paint?

The rustoleum spray paint didn't adhere to the duracoat as well as I'd liked. The duracoat it hard and great! The top coats of camo spray paint aren't so durable. Lesson learned. It will have some character with use.

Well I got a chance to go shoot again today. Here is my last group of the day. 1.3" at 200 with a pretty good cross wind. The hornady elds ended up being the best factory load i tried and very consistent (+/- 15 fps) centered around 2870 with a 145g bullet. I'll take it
9b6a9fe526d5c60f86f34d7d69503be8.jpg

Last edited:
1.3" at 200 is a solid group off a bipod with no rear bag. The part I like about it though is it shows minimal vertical dispersion. Vertical is a killer as the distance gets longer

1.3" at 200 is a solid group off a bipod with no rear bag. The part I like about it though is it shows minimal vertical dispersion. Vertical is a killer as the distance gets longer
I'm happy with it. I have to wait for a calmer day to set zero, but it's gonna work for my purposes.

Now to just see antlers.......

Back