• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rook Positioning Laynard

Boomstick300

Hi!

My name is Mike and I'm new to the forum and new to saddle hunting. After years of watching John Eberhart I finally decided to give this a good dedicated try!! My question is what are people's opinions on using a Rook style system on a tether over a ropeman. I understand it's more metal and weight, however, I bought it specifically as a linesman belt a few years ago-because I like the idea of still having a Prusik over a mechanical device but still have ease of positioning. Still awaiting my Kestrel to arrive!!! Can't wait to train and hunt with it!!! You guys have been a great help on this forum. Appreciate all the knowledge!!!

http://www.sherrilltree.com/sherrilltree-rook-positioning-lanyard-10ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been using the ropeman ascender for 3 years and I just don't know how you could find a better system. It's realtively inexpensive, super compact and just so easy to use. I'm not saying there's nothing better but the ropeman is just tough to beat. I use the same Sterling Tri-tech rope lanyard you posted the link to, with the Ropeman. It's a great combination and an awesome lineman's rope.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Arkrider-Thanks for the response... Absolutely, I think it's a great and cheap add on and gets rave reviews on here from what I have read. I might give it a try at some point. I only ask because I already have the Rook and like the way it works in combination to the Prusik just didn't know if I'm missing something safety wise.

Ropeman 1 all day everyday

Arkrider-Thanks for the response... Absolutely, I think it's a great and cheap add on and gets rave reviews on here from what I have read. I might give it a try at some point. I only ask because I already have the Rook and like the way it works in combination to the Prusik just didn't know if I'm missing something safety wise.

You're most definitely not missing anything safety wise. With the Rook you just a have a lot more tool than you need for hunting. For doing tree work I would choose the Rook over a Ropeman seven days a week and twice on Sunday. It's just a much more versatile lanyard compared to a rope grab device. But hunting isn't tree work so use what ya got and have fun :D

I use the ropeman1 for the first time today. It's a pretty neat little tool work great but I do have one question the carabiners that came with the Kestrel are a little tight but they seem to work it's there some other ones that you guys use on ropeman1 or the ones that came with the Kestrel be alright. I am worried about wear.

Back