• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope for Stepps?

KYHunter

I recently purchased some off-brand “Stepps” on eBay that came with the 1” straps and cambuckles. I want to cut them off to save some weight and reduce noise but I cant decide on what rope to use. I’m looking at the WildEdge replacement ropes, amsteel or even buying my own polypropylene rope.

What are some ropes that other Stepp users have used and had success with? Advantages/disadvantages of one type over another?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I just changed all my ropes on my steps to amsteel...very easy to do. I actually did it in my office while on boring business calls...helps with my add.

I saved all the original stepp ropes but a lot of mine got pretty sketchy over the 15+ years.

I think the original rope is easiest to adjust especially in the cold but they do not pack well at all compared to amsteel. I've got amsteel on one stepp to try and have to say it will probably be on all of them before season. Have 8ft lengths of notch dryad on two stepps for the base of big trees, not easy to adjust the knot but packs better than the amsteel.

Are you all in on Amsteel with the loop knot?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah man. I did both sets of Stepps like that. I don’t find a problem with adding slack or taking it up with amsteel. You just have a stepp in one hand and the side of the loop in the other. Pull on the stepp and push the amsteel thru the knot at the same time too loosen, reverse to tighten. It’s usually only 1/2 or less rope passed thru the knot needed to adjust either way.
At least I think that’s how I’m doing it. Lol
I’m gonna have to go do it to remember for sure.

Yeah man. I did both sets of Stepps like that. I don’t find a problem with adding slack or taking it up with amsteel. You just have a stepp in one hand and the side of the loop in the other. Pull on the stepp and push the amsteel thru the knot at the same time too loosen, reverse to tighten. It’s usually only 1/2 or less rope passed thru the knot needed to adjust either way.
At least I think that’s how I’m doing it. Lol
I’m gonna have to go do it to remember for sure.

Is the loop knot a different way of tying in, or are you just refering to the regular Stepp knot?

And what length of amsteel did you start with before splicing?

And thoughts on gong smaller than 1/4 amsteel?
It is harder to work with. Also, amsteel is not incredibly abrasion resistant. I'm actually considering going the other way. 5/16 amsteel. I'm going to give 1/4 another go though.

It is harder to work with. Also, amsteel is not incredibly abrasion resistant. I'm actually considering going the other way. 5/16 amsteel. I'm going to give 1/4 another go though.

Any size of amsteel will be lighter and easier to pack. Amsteel gets fuzzy on the tree sometimes but it is hard to cut, so is abrasion really a problem?

There has to be a coating we can put on amsteel to make it less "snaggy" I have some 1/4 from four years of use that is frayed like crazy, however I bet I could hook it up to the truck and still use it as a winch line and be amazed how strong it still is. and I doubt it. I really don't worry about its strength loss with it becoming frayed as much as I do about how noisy it becomes when working against bark..... it just snags on it like crazy after it becomes "worn."

Is the loop knot a different way of tying in, or are you just refering to the regular Stepp knot?

And what length of amsteel did you start with before splicing?
Got a new video uploading to explain everything. I used 1/4in amsteel. Raw length of 8ft. Locking brummel loop on one end with 12in of bury (probably over kill) and on the other end I buried the end about 5in to add weight if I need to throw it around the tree and makes a nice hand hold. Comes out to a little over 6ft.

I don't know about consensus. I didn't like 1/4 inch. Especially with cold fingers. I'm going to try it again and also 5/16.

I don't know about consensus. I didn't like 1/4 inch. Especially with cold fingers. I'm going to try it again and also 5/16.

Let me know how it works. I'll try it again but I'm with you. Tying it wasn't hard for me, it was adjusting it or untying it!

I'm glad some are coming over from the dark side. Great little tip on adding the loop. I never found it too difficult, annoying a little perhaps, to untie Stepp Knots made in Amsteel. I found it extremely annoying dealing with that noisy bag/rope combination and trying to stuff the things back in the sack.

Last edited:
Back