• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rubber Boots & scent

Sipsey

I've read with interest most of the posts on scent elimination strategies and techniques. I've tried a good many of these over several decades with some success. What I've not seen mentioned, and maybe overlooked, was the gradual degradation of the rubber in boots over time. I was made acutely aware that my rubber boots held scent one day years back on a bow hunt. My neighbor lets me bow hunt his property behind my house. I usually kept my cloths and boots on back porch and after showering simply stepped out, dressed, took a shot at my target and headed out through my swampy back yard and up a dirt road to where I hunted. This one particular day I purposely walked and waded in some puddles/mud to make sure my boots were scent free. I had to walk across a trail to my stand. As I waited I saw two figures headed down a trail to where I had walked. It was two coyotes and as soon as they hit my tracks they bolted as if shot at. I was downwind. After reading a good bit trying to figure it out I came across an article that stated that rubber boots have a lifespan of a few years before they develop small cracks, which will then retain scent if not meticulously cleaned. Anyone else experience being busted while wearing rubber boots? I've seen someone post that they use peroxide for cleaning their boots. Any other suggestions?

I could believe that. This year I was using my oldest pair of rubber boots. I had a doe who didn't bust out of there, but definitely got edgy after she crossed my trail, and I never see that happen anymore. These boots were very worn down and I noticed the rubber was breaking down. I assumed that scent was coming through the boots from my feet, but I wouldn't be surprised if scent got trapped in the cracks too. Probably both.

Rubber boots don't totally eliminate your scent new or old. I've had deer react on my trails with new boots and old boots and everything in between. They are just better than the alternatives.

As long as your rubber boots don't leak water, they are waterproof and don't allow human odor to pass through.

Whenever you take a step you displace the earth, break leaves and grasses and alter the odor of the ground and while we as humans can't smell the ground alteration odors, animals can. I oftentimes have mature deer stop once they hit my entry trail because they smell ground disturbance yet can't pick up any human odor, otherwise they would immediately spook. They are inquisitive and oftentimes will follow my trail for a few steps before losing interest and going on about their business. There has also been times when mature does will start searching the trees and area for hunters because even though they can't smell human odor, they know something isn't right because there's ground disturbance odor, but it's not related to any animals in the area.

Coyotes are just so smart that when they typically cross a ground disturbance odor that doesn't have any animal or human odor, they know something isn't right and they immediately leave.

As long as your rubber boots don't leak water, they are waterproof and don't allow human odor to pass through.

Whenever you take a step you displace the earth, break leaves and grasses and alter the odor of the ground and while we as humans can't smell the ground alteration odors, animals can. I oftentimes have mature deer stop once they hit my entry trail because they smell ground disturbance yet can't pick up any human odor, otherwise they would immediately spook. They are inquisitive and oftentimes will follow my trail for a few steps before losing interest and going on about their business. There has also been times when mature does will start searching the trees and area for hunters because even though they can't smell human odor, they know something isn't right because there's ground disturbance odor, but it's not related to any animals in the area.

Coyotes are just so smart that when they typically cross a ground disturbance odor that doesn't have any animal or human odor, they know something isn't right and they immediately leave.

So would you suggest an animal cover scent to be used on boots to ease the deer?

First thought is fox urine, however fox don't urinate and then track it all over the woods. It's not natural in this scenario.

Next idea would be to use a pelt from an animal(raccoon, mink, non predator) to rub on boots and outerwear.

I wear Lacrosse hip boots 90% of the time and lacrosse/muck knee boots the other 10%. Because I wear only rubber boots I assumed I was leaving very little scent(if any at all);therefore, I have never used cover scents and have little knowledge of the use of such tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If i've ever been scent busted because of my rubber boots i have never seen/heard the deer doing the busting...

I wear lacrosse aeroheads. My first pair developed a small leak in the ankle but lacrosse replaced them for me. I now own two pairs one in 3.5mm and a 7mm pair. They tend to run true to size so I ordered a size up in each to accomodate thicker socks in cooler weather.

As far as care and storage go...

I don't store my rubber boots in an special place/container. Most of the time they sit in my garage near cars, lawnmower, trash, etc... Probably a big scent taboo but I don't currently have a better storage option. During the season they often stay in the trunk of my car along with a bin of hunting clothing (in an airtight container).

At least once a season I will use scent-eliminating detergent/wash and scrub the entire exterior of the boot and rinse.

Before every hunt I usually spray my boots with scent-eliminating spray. Not just a few dainty sprays either - they get a regular dousing! They will often be dripping with scent spray when I am done.

Per John's recommendation from his book I started to drap my scentlok clothing over my boots and NOT tuck them in. IMO It's more comfortable to wear them this way, and feel like the air displaced from the interior of the boot gets mostly trapped in my scentlok.

If I get to standing water and don't want my clothes getting wet I will roll up the pant leg to wade and then unroll after i'm done.

So would you suggest an animal cover scent to be used on boots to ease the deer?

First thought is fox urine, however fox don't urinate and then track it all over the woods. It's not natural in this scenario.

Next idea would be to use a pelt from an animal(raccoon, mink, non predator) to rub on boots and outerwear.

I wear Lacrosse hip boots 90% of the time and lacrosse/muck knee boots the other 10%. Because I wear only rubber boots I assumed I was leaving very little scent(if any at all);therefore, I have never used cover scents and have little knowledge of the use of such tools.

IMO cover scents do more harm than good. I would buy some scent spray (I use dead down wind) and give them a thorough dousing before each hunt.

I would not use any cover scents. I have also experienced what John said, where the deer come through there and know something else came through but can't figure it out. The ones I have seen are just inquisitive, and then go on about there business. That was why I knew something was up with the boots I referred to earlier in the thread. After that experience I found out the boots were shot and had a leak.

I used to use cover scents religiously (mainly Fox Urine) and I did have deer cross my path, give a quick whiff and show no signs of alarm. They just continue on about their business and some of those feed my family the following year. Then I had those that immediately bolted as soon as they crossed my path. I don't think I put much thought into their use until I took a writing class my freshman year in college. We had to write a research article about anything we wanted. I chose deer hunting and randomly came across an old article regarding cover scents by a Dr. (can't remember his name, just that he was a Dr.) He talked about deer having a false sense of security when using fox cover scent but that deer would learn to associate the cover scent mixed with a hunters scent as a threat and then eventually deer being spooked by just fox urine. The more hunters used cover scents the more this would happen. I immediately thought of all my hunting buddies spraying fox or coon urine on their boots and I haven't touched them sense. To me it makes sense, especially in high pressure areas like mine.

Agree with all on cover scents and scents in general depending on what you're hunting for of course. I'm a sales rep for one of the largest scent companies and one of the largest cover spray companies in the country and although I could get whatever I want for free, I don't use any cover or attractant scents and never use cover sprays.

Hate to sound like a know it all, but if you're hunting mature bucks in heavily pressured areas, hunting as clean as possible is best. On big bucks, cover and attractant scents can alter the current mindset of a moving mature buck. If I did my homework and am hunting in a destination area where I assume he may come to anyway (that's why I'm there), there's no reason to take a chance on altering his mindset and altering his route by using scents of any sort.

The reason I say heavily pressured areas is that mature bucks in such areas have survived through several seasons of fake tactic use and improper scent use by hunters within his core living area and they typically don't fall for that stuff once they reach maturity. At least that's been my experience in the past and is why I quit using them. Personally I don't use anything commercially bottled that could potentially change the mindset of a mature buck.

With properly cared for Scent Lok suits and clean rubber or neoprene boots, there's no need to use sprays either.

Agree with all on cover scents and scents in general depending on what you're hunting for of course. I'm a sales rep for one of the largest scent companies and one of the largest cover spray companies in the country and although I could get whatever I want for free, I don't use any cover or attractant scents and never use cover sprays.

Hate to sound like a know it all, but if you're hunting mature bucks in heavily pressured areas, hunting as clean as possible is best. On big bucks, cover and attractant scents can alter the current mindset of a moving mature buck. If I did my homework and am hunting in a destination area where I assume he may come to anyway (that's why I'm there), there's no reason to take a chance on altering his mindset and altering his route by using scents of any sort.

The reason I say heavily pressured areas is that mature bucks in such areas have survived through several seasons of fake tactic use and improper scent use by hunters within his core living area and they typically don't fall for that stuff once they reach maturity. At least that's been my experience in the past and is why I quit using them. Personally I don't use anything commercially bottled that could potentially change the mindset of a mature buck.

With properly cared for Scent Lok suits and clean rubber or neoprene boots, there's no need to use sprays either.
Are you still using the Vanishing Hunter elimination spray or are you just being meticulous with your other scent control tactics?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

John,

If any one IS a 'know it all', you would at least be in the running :)
As already stated, rubber boots won't outsmart a coyote.

I've used "Deer Dander" on my boots and have watched deer follow my trail. I'm not hunting 'mature bucks' though. I am just trying to get a shot. Of course for all I know, hundreds of deer might have avoided my trail because of the deer dander.

Makes sense. I've never thought of it like that. I suppose that's why I assumed they were smelling my scent.

Using attractive type scents buck, doe, heat ex. for me are line using my decoy. When the situation calls for it, I look at it like a hail marry. In my logs it works about 20% of the time. Just like my decoy I have gotten some decent bucks from it, but I've had it screw me up more often. If I'm at a site where several deer will come through usually a decoy or scent will cause them to go on alert and typically they eventually will burst out of there. I would rather have a live deer in front of me than a decoy or scent as my attractant.

Totally agree Root, different situations at differing times of season call for different measures and on several occasions over the years I've done a hail mary a day or two prior to gun season and tried things at specific locations that I never would have done in late October or early November when they needed to hunted clean and on their own merits. Can't think of any however that have worked on a mature buck, but tried things at locations that I'd hunted without success, and thought it was worth the effort.

DwadeCham

I've never used Vanishing Hunter synthetics however my son Chris did. I've never used any sprays on my clothing or boots but do use Pampers scent free baby wipes ($4 for a big tub) on my bow grip and keep some in a Zip Lok in case I need to wipe down my face and hands once set up.

Sort of interesting on the boots thing with deer cutting and following your trail out of curiosity. That should make you feel very good because if you were leaving human odor, they would immediately leave.

Totally agree Root, different situations at differing times of season call for different measures and on several occasions over the years I've done a hail mary a day or two prior to gun season and tried things at specific locations that I never would have done in late October or early November when they needed to hunted clean and on their own merits. Can't think of any however that have worked on a mature buck, but tried things at locations that I'd hunted without success, and thought it was worth the effort.

DwadeCham

I've never used Vanishing Hunter synthetics however my son Chris did. I've never used any sprays on my clothing or boots but do use Pampers scent free baby wipes ($4 for a big tub) on my bow grip and keep some in a Zip Lok in case I need to wipe down my face and hands once set up.

Sort of interesting on the boots thing with deer cutting and following your trail out of curiosity. That should make you feel very good because if you were leaving human odor, they would immediately leave.
Ah... Had the two of you confused.

Thanks for the ideas.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back