• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddles and Ridges

IndianOutlaw

Are you guys finding that you can hunt at a lower height on ridges because you can use the tree to hide yourself?

Makes sense. There's not a lot of ridges where I hunt (Georgia Lowcountry), but the logic works.

On top of a ridge yes, depends on tree cover tho. Most of the time I hunt the side of ridges and have to hunt really high to avoid being seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On top of a ridge yes, depends on tree cover tho. Most of the time I hunt the side of ridges and have to hunt really high to avoid being seen.

ok, i modified my sticks to get higher this year with the hopes of only taking three with me, but it sounds like i still need all four. you think 30' will suffice in a big woods late season setting?

ok, i modified my sticks to get higher this year with the hopes of only taking three with me, but it sounds like i still need all four. you think 30' will suffice in a big woods late season setting?

Donsome research on the one stick method. You can still use all your sticks to get most of your height but you can also hang from your tether and move the top stick up to gain even more height. That way you don't have to carry extra sticks. My typical height in the select cut logged areas I hunt are 30' because all the trees are wide open. I don't have any problems with deer seeing me when I hunt that high

Thanks guys. Flingin, ive looked at the one stick method but i think id rather just carry the extra couple pounds and be done with it. My fat man harness isnt too comfortable lol. Just from the past week from being on this site Ive dropped my stand/stick weight from 24lbs down to 11 3/4lbs. Ill try that out this season and if i get into better shape. i was at 24' last year with a hangon and was staring deer in the face on the uphill side of the tree. the shot angle was an easy double lung but more then one deer at a time and it was a problem trying to get drawn without one seeing my movement.

I agree with flingin. Any of the ridges I hunt on are mostly straight hardwoods so I try to get up as high as I can, usually to the first break up on the tree whether it is a fork or just the bottom of the canopy.

I agree with flingin. Any of the ridges I hunt on are mostly straight hardwoods so I try to get up as high as I can, usually to the first break up on the tree whether it is a fork or just the bottom of the canopy.

My buck last year I was nearly 40' up lol. He came out level with me on the side of the ridge and he was 41 yards. Looked way farther because of how high I was haha

My buck last year I was nearly 40' up lol. He came out level with me on the side of the ridge and he was 41 yards. Looked way farther because of how high I was haha

Yea, the distances can really be deceiving when you're on the side of a hill lol. I always make sure I range landmarks when I first get up to verify rather than guessing!

Back