• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent control podcast up

Great podcast. Looking forward to Part 2 & Part 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me as well...but without question I will in no wise be "checking in" on the other site for analysis. That is futile.

Great podcast from two successful hunters.
They agree. Controlling scent is critical. Both hunters are detail oriented when it comes to scent.
One uses scent lok plus detailed controls to prevent scent from leaving you The other controls where the scent goes by detailed attention to the wind. Milkweed and thermals.

End result scent control and dead bucks

I think Dan and John could learn from each other

Dan needs to try a saddle. John could be more open about Dans methods of bed hunting.
Open minds would make them both even better hunters
What I learned. Control my scent
Also being mobile is important.

Last edited:
I agree both of these gents have valid points/techniques and I have learned from both. I frequent another site where closed minds seems to be the norm for some and the need to discredit abounds..... and many still believes one methods is the "Holy Grail" of hunting. I listen to most, try a little from each, and adopt what works for me and the particular area I am hunting. I have picked up a ton of great tactics and tools right here.... I would still be using prussic knots had not someone brought the Ropeman and Kong Duck to my attention.

I listen to most, try a little from each, and adopt what works for me and the particular area I am hunting.

I have not listened to the podcast yet, but I could not agree with this statement any more Dave. I think the thing to take from both of these guys is that they have developed awesome systems that work for them. Everyone needs to find a system that works for themselves in the area that they are hunting.

And it is hard to blame either one of these guys for being "set in their ways". Over time they developed a system that works great for them. Once you develop that with the success they have, why would you change?

I agree both of these gents have valid points/techniques and I have learned from both. I frequent another site where closed minds seems to be the norm for some and the need to discredit abounds..... and many still believes one methods is the "Holy Grail" of hunting. I listen to most, try a little from each, and adopt what works for me and the particular area I am hunting. I have picked up a ton of great tactics and tools right here.... I would still be using prussic knots had not someone brought the Ropeman and Kong Duck to my attention.
Bingo. Nice to see this thread much more open minded than the other one. You can learn a lot from both hunters and no issue treating their philosophies like a cafeteria.

I'm looking forward to the later podcasts. I posed some good questions for John.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have not listened to the podcast yet, but I could not agree with this statement any more Dave. I think the thing to take from both of these guys is that they have developed awesome systems that work for them. Everyone needs to find a system that works for themselves in the area that they are hunting.

And it is hard to blame either one of these guys for being "set in their ways". Over time they developed a system that works great for them. Once you develop that with the success they have, why would you change?

As an employer I used to tell people how I do it why I do it and let them know the end goal and let them deviate from my way to achieve the same goal. That way I could get better
Both these guys are great hunters

I like Ontariofarmer am a late comer to the bow hunting craft for white tail. There has been no greater influence on my progression than John Eberhart and Dan Infant, and am grateful for their interest in helping other guys be more successful. This topic in particular polarizes hunters more than any other. Unfortunately the fruits of that are more than abundant and ripe on other sites.

Now here's a cool hunting show idea. Dan and John taking turns being mentored in their different methods in the interest of education. Evaluating the results of the hunt from their personal experience, then taking what they view as positive and applying it to their own games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over time they developed a system that works great for them. Once you develop that with the success they have, why would you change?

If I was killing big bucks like John E. in Michigan with a bow I WOULD NOT CHANGE A SINGLE THING. Ditto for Dan in WI. As it is, I try to set the killing big buck bar low so these guys, and others like them, can excel. :)

Me being Naive to forums and all and was directed to check out the podcast by John E . I didn't realize that the host (s) were very active disciples/members ( along with yourself ) on the other site until yesterday, it kind of makes sense now how the heavily editing fits into the finished product of the podcast. I am now taking that into consideration before making judgements about one of the guests demeanor. But I do agree, interested in parts 2/3.

Last edited:
Bingo. Nice to see this thread much more open minded than the other one. You can learn a lot from both hunters and no issue treating their philosophies like a cafeteria.

I'm looking forward to the later podcasts. I posed some good questions for John.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I think saddle hunters are in general more open minded. Always willing to try and improve.

I'm going to say this now as I usually do with scent control related topics. These topics tend to bring out very strong opinions. I have not listened to the podcast yet, but both of these hunters represent those extremes. They are entitled to their opinions as is everyone on this site. Please continue to keep this discussion civil as we move forward. Thanks guys.

Just finished part 1. Fascinating to say the least. It is intriguing how different their approaches are. I believe both men have a ton of knowledge to offer. I hope to one day have 1/2 the hunting smarts of these two.

To me...the best part of this podcast is how it highlights that hunting is not one size fits all. A good thought for all hunters to keep in mind.

Two masters sharing their wisdom? What's to argue with? I'll take a page out of both of their books and hope I can be even a fraction as successful while being grateful they shared their knowledge at all!

Totally

Back