• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent control products

Root

What do you use for your scent control regimen? Why do you use that specific thing? What brand are you using?

I use Dead Down Wind products. After several seasons of strictly using them i find them effective. I have used scent killer in the past but as stated before i am strictly using DDW now. Based on my experience using them i am less winded by deer in changing conditions which is more an observational basis rather than scientific one. I should add that i buy new product every year to ensure effective freshness which might just be an ocd thing lol!!!

I use Vanishing Hunter. It is a sodium bicarbonate based spray which is baking soda. I also use an ozone generator in a plastic tote on all my gear unless it is something that it can harm. I shower with scent free soap and shampoo. Use arm and hammer deoderant and toothpaste. All baking soda based and all much cheaper than scent elimination products. I feel like I have been busted by wind very little but it's possible I have deer avoid me that I don't know about. But the amount of deer I had within 10-20 yards last year was impressive. I also use nose jammer on my boots and clothes walking to the stand. And every hour or so I will spray some on my tree so it is going with the wind.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I got the Vanishing Hunter idea from Chris Eberhart. He recommended it in one of his books.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I use Dead Down Wind products. After several seasons of strictly using them i find them effective. I have used scent killer in the past but as stated before i am strictly using DDW now. Based on my experience using them i am less winded by deer in changing conditions which is more an observational basis rather than scientific one. I should add that i buy new product every year to ensure effective freshness which might just be an ocd thing lol!!!
Same here. I believe it even says on the bottle that it is good for (x) amount of time. Atleast the refill packets do... i believe it is around 3 months. I also have the best luck with dead down wind and switched from scent killer.

I'm a big scentlok fan. I use their brand clothing both outer and baselayers, though mix and match with merino wool depending on the weather.

I've used dead down wind and noticed a difference. Then last year I put up a small room and ozoned all my hunting gear after and before each hunt. I noticed it seemed to work for about the first 45 minutes then it was back to same old story. So the reason I started this is because I bought some scent lok and I'm wanting to know what you guys use to clean everything else. Laundry soap? Body soap? How are you cleaning the rest of your equipment?

So if you read through this thread I pretty thoroughly explain my scent control routine: ScentLok base layer

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...threads/ScentLok-base-layer.702/&share_type=t

I use scentlok garments that are cared for and stored properly. I use a boot dryer for boots and have previously used zeolite powder by dead down wind but it was kind of a hassle and I kept forgetting to put it in my boots. For hair/body care I use Dr Bronners unscented liquid soap. This stuff is amazing for anyone with hard well water. I don't get crazy with trying to mask toothbrush scent because I have to use sensitivity toothpaste and there isn't any on the market that I'm aware of that isn't minty. Deodorant I use DDW of scentlok brand deodorant and that seems to work pretty well, but I'm sure you could use any old nonscented antiperspirant.

Neither my wife or I use scented detergent or fabric softener in our washer or dryer (lifestyle choice not related to hunting) so no fear of scent contamination there.

As for the rest of the "rest of the equipment"...

Saddle + ropes - put into 5 gallon bucket or tub large enough and fill with cold water and add some DDW detergent and agitate by hand, alternating between soaking and agitating. Rinse with cold clean water and air dry.

Bow, quiver, arrows, and release aid - wipe down with DDW scent wipes before each hunt. Though there is a part of me that suspects these are simply unscented baby wipes you could buy a lot cheaper.

Backpack/pack - usually delicate cycle wash in the washer and depending on size of pack may or may not dry in the dryer. It goes into an airtight tote with a carbon web adsorber.

Sticks/climbing aids - this stuff I just give a thorough spraying down with scent killer spray before the season. I was considering washing the webbing straps on my lone wolf sticks but... idk... these items are handled infrequently in the off season. My biggest fear is contamination from other VOCs in the garage ie gas cans, lawnmower, etc. regardless I usually spray and/or wipe them down once or twice a season.

Anything I didn't cover? Feel free to ask...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What about other things like how do you care for the outside of your boots?

The one thing in debating on its what to use for lotion on my hands. Between working in the woodshop and running my fabrication /diesel business my hands take a beating and I have to keep them lotioned or my fingertips split and bleed. Right now I'm using Working man's hands lotion and it keeps them from splitting. I can't sense a smell from the container but I'd be open to proven options.

I wear rubber boots and the exterior gets scrubbed with scent free laundry detergent before the season. Before a hunt I spray them down with scent killer spray but it's a heavy drenching not a piddly mist.

Dead down wind makes a scent free lotion but I don't know how it compares to other stuff: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Dead...G4pP2hCCxWtm1YjjIrgaAomLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have used their chapstick and it works good.

I'll be spraying my boots and using ozone on my clothes. The lodge we stay in will smell like bacon and eggs in the morning. It's impossible to avoid.
I have a full face mask for use with ozone, I may ozonate my self for a few minutes before climbing in my truck.
Boots will be sprayed and put on before the walk begins. Base layer only on walk.

After using ozone after and before each hunt all last year I doubt I'll be using it much if at all this year. It took it's toll on my hunting gear.

After using ozone after and before each hunt all last year I doubt I'll be using it much if at all this year. It took it's toll on my hunting gear.
Yes, you definitely have to be careful what you use it on. I damaged some rubber boots the first year I used it.

I shower with scent free shampoo and body wash and I follow that up with scent free deodorant. I exclusively use rubber boots when deer hunting and I occasionally spray the bottoms with scent killer. I use ScentLok base layers, scent-blocker pants and shirts, followed by a ScentLok Full Season outer layer. I wear a ScentLok beanie, a ScentLok facemask and ScentLok gloves (I wish ScentLok made a hand warmer). My outer ScentLok layers are put on in the field and stored in sealed bags when not in use. My backpack is washed on a regular basis in scent free detergent and sprayed down with scent killer. I always handle it with my ScentLok gloves on. I have had excellent success using this system, I can't remember the last time that I got winded by a deer, however I have never had the confidence to "forget the wind". I am debating trying that this year though. My Scentlok Full Season jacket is about 9 years old now so I am getting concerned about its age and adsorption capacity.

I shower with scent free shampoo and body wash and I follow that up with scent free deodorant. I exclusively use rubber boots when deer hunting and I occasionally spray the bottoms with scent killer. I use ScentLok base layers, scent-blocker pants and shirts, followed by a ScentLok Full Season outer layer. I wear a ScentLok beanie, a ScentLok facemask and ScentLok gloves (I wish ScentLok made a hand warmer). My outer ScentLok layers are put on in the field and stored in sealed bags when not in use. My backpack is washed on a regular basis in scent free detergent and sprayed down with scent killer. I always handle it with my ScentLok gloves on. I have had excellent success using this system, I can't remember the last time that I got winded by a deer, however I have never had the confidence to "forget the wind". I am debating trying that this year though. My Scentlok Full Season jacket is about 9 years old now so I am getting concerned about its age and adsorption capacity.
This is very similar to my system. Go for it and hunt without the wind. I never play the wind and I never see deer wind me (the few rare times I have, it is because I got lax and had a breakdown in my system. ie. left my backpack open with an open ziplock bag of chocolate.)

I use scentlok early season layers all year. I wear clean cold weather layers over top of them which I wash frequently. I do use and abuse my scentlok through the course of a season so I rotate through 2-3 sets during the season and swap the pieces out every 1-2 years as needed. I pick the stuff up when they have big sales to make it cost effective.

No Scent Lok, rarely wear full rubber boots unless it's very swampy. I shower scent free, my clothes are stored scent free. I never touch my steps without gloves. Periodically I'll wash my equipment to keep it fresh. I play the wind. Most of my setups are just as they "button hook" to approach their final destination. A lot of deer travel with the wind almost to their back before turning it to their advantage. At least the older deer do.

How come I can smell ozone and get a massive headache but deer don't?

Your not supposed to breath it. It does make a smell that will remain for days. Don't breath it it while its being made. Don't breath it for an hour after you've turned the machine off. That's at room temp. If it's colder, it takes much longer to break down and be safe.
I have a full face mask with P-100 rated carbon filters on it. It protects my eyes and lungs. If you're going to use it I'd recommend a mask.

My point is that it leaves a residual smell. I worked in a recording studio that had a fire. It got deep cleaned and heavy ozone treatment from ServePro. I had to stay out of it much longer than their recommendation and opened all the doors and ran fans. It still made me feel bad.

You could still smell the ozone for a really long time.

Ozone is a natural smell. It is common after thunderstorms.

Back