• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scent lok life span

CharlieRayT

I have several scent lok garments. I have washed them many time with sports wash. Will they still have the same effectiveness as when new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Copied off the internet"

10 Points on Proper Care for Activated Carbon Suits

1. All Scent Lok branded garments use carbon derived from charred coconut shells. Coconut carbon has smaller pores than most other carbons making it one of the best available carbons for adsorbing small molecules associated with human odors.

2. To reactivate carbon garments, put them in a household or commercial dryer for 30 to 40 minutes on a high heat setting. The heat makes the bonded human molecules move rapidly (become more energetic) and the motion breaks a percentage of the molecules free from the carbon (carbon is not affected by the heat) and allows them to escape out the dryer vent. The energetic molecular motion is very similar to why there are expansion joints in highways and steel bridges. Without expansion joints our highways and bridges would buckle from energetic molecular motion or expansion when temperatures exceed a mere 90 or so degrees. The reactivation process should be repeated every 4 to 6 hunts. Due to the extreme amount of odor coming out of your hair follicles, mouth, nose, and hands, head covers and gloves should be reactivated more frequently than the jacket and pants. New carbon garments should always be reactivated prior to use in the field, because they are loading up as they hang in the store.

3. All carbon garments should go directly from the dryer into an air-tight storage container (garbage bag, carbon bag, or a Scent Tote) that allows no outside odors (air) inside. Never put scent wafers, pine boughs, dirt, or any foreign items in the container with your suit because their odor molecules will prematurely load up the carbon, requiring more frequent reactivations, and shortening the life expectancy of the suit. Carbon suits have a life expectancy of about 8 years with average use and proper care before they can no longer be effectively re-activated.

4. Carbon lined garments must be kept in their container until used in the field (not even to be wore in the vehicle). When finished hunting the suit goes back into the storage container prior to getting back into the vehicle or walking into the house. Do not wear carbon garments in the house, car, getting gas, in restaurants, etc., just hunting.

5. It is advised to wash all undergarments in a non-scent detergent and taken care of them (storage unit) in the same manner as the carbon clothing.

6. Scent-Lok branded garments can be washed periodically (once or twice per season) if they have physical dirt or blood on them. This can be done in a washing machine using a small amount of scent free detergent for carbon clothing (preferably Scent Lok’s or Scent Blocker’s). Suits should be air-dried in the dryer first to assure there is no shrinkage. Once air-dried, reactivate them with heat as described in section two.

7. There is no need to spray scent inhibitors over your suit.

8. It is advised to shower and shampoo with non-scent soap, and use a non-scent
anti-perspirant prior to going hunting.

9. Always wear clean knee high rubber boots in conjunction with your suit, and wear your pants outside of the boots instead of tucking them in. Every time you take a step a puff of air comes out of your boots and the carbon in the pant legs will adsorb it.

10. Keep your fanny pack or backpack scent free by frequently washing it in scent free detergent, and keep your loaded pack in its own air-tight container. Nearly every hunter gets into his or her pack every day they hunt to reload or reorganize it before or after each hunt, and they never wash their packs. Hunting with an unwashed pack is like taking a large human scent wick in the tree with you. So, if you don’t keep your pack clean and get winded, don’t blame it on your carbon suit.

An activated carbon suit will only take care of you if you take proper care of it and everything else you take hunting with you. A properly cared for suit wore in conjunction with scent free accessories will make a huge difference in the amount of deer you get close to.

-John Eberhart

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Hmm. There should be some life in them yet.

Yeah. Pretty much don't wash them unless the are bloody or heavily soiled. Just throw them in the dryer. I use sent loc wash when I wash mine

Sent from my
At 20' up

Yeah. Pretty much don't wash them unless the are bloody or heavily soiled. Just throw them in the dryer. I use sent loc wash when I wash mine

Sent from my
At 20' up

What scent blocker suit do you have? looks like it would work well for bow season, does not look to hot

I had the sent loc helix and full season. They were stolen from my truck a last year. I was wearing scent blocker knockout pants and jackets. I love them they are well made gear imho

Sent from my
At 20' up

It's Whitetail Elite. I believe I got it from ****'s Sporting Goods.

I had the sent loc helix and full season. They were stolen from my truck a last year. I was wearing scent blocker knockout pants and jackets. I love them they are well made gear imho

Sent from my
At 20' up

Thanks guys for the reply... which do you prefer for bow season that has an early season average temperature of 70+?

I've only had experience with the one suit. I also have Scentlok base layers. I've worn just the Whitetail Elite on fairly warm hunts with light undergarments and didn't get too awfully overheated.

Back