• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scentlok cold blooded

Root

Does anyone have the scentlok cold blooded jacket and pants? If so, are they quiet enough to bow hunt with? Will they hold up if I have to dry them a bunch after rain /snow hunts? Anything else I should know?

I'm upgrading my hunting clothes for next year. I am in need of warmth, water proof, and scent control. Is there anything else you would recommend instead?

If you want a suit strictly for bitter cold weather, the Covert is the suit to get as it's windproof and quiet as it has a deep napped fleece exterior. I would personally never trust a membrane lined brushed tricot (which is a light fabric) exterior to be quiet enough for hunting in the winter.

I will check those out instead thank you.

I have to second the covert suit. I have owned it for 2 seasons now and it is my go to late season suit. The only thing I dislike is the cheap suspenders but I have a cheap military surplus canvas belt I just leave on the pants.

It is not waterproof, but is very very quiet (did not say silent). I have not been busted because of noise wearing this suit. It is water resistant, but if you need waterproof I would recommend a thinner waterproof shell to go over your suit. I have a core4element waterproof suit that goes over all my other gear, but it is no longer being made. Anything waterproof is going to have some noise IMO, but some brands are quieter than others. RiversWest, Sitka, Scentlok all make uninsulated lightweight waterproof shell layers...

The cold blooded suit is much noisier and bulkier than the covert suit from what i've seen in the store. I have read some other reviews on archerytalk and users have returned it because of the noise.

If you shop around on ebay I was seeing the covert jacket + pants go from $150-200 saving you a little on buying at full retail.

My biggest problem is just to check it out is a 100 mile round trip. So before I go I'd like opinions from people that have it and tested it.

My biggest problem is just to check it out is a 100 mile round trip. So before I go I'd like opinions from people that have it and tested it.

They carry the cold blooded at most of the major sporting goods stores. At least I know I've seen it at ****s and Field and Stream stores so if you have in of those close they might have it. Also Scentlok had s great return policy you could always order it direct from them and return if you don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Covert suit has a waterproof polyurethane membrane, however the seams are not taped so they can't label it waterproof even though it would have to rain a lot before you got wet at the seams. The suit however is too warm to wear if its above 30 degrees anyway. The Covert is designed for very cold weather when it would be snowing, not raining.

If you want a suit you can layer under like the Cold Blooded suit (comes with a vest layer piece) I highly recommend Scent Loks Vortex windproof suit as it has a polyurethane waterproof membrane without taped seams (like the Covert), a deep napped fleece exterior to mask the noise of the membrane, and it's my all time favorite cold weather suit by Scent Lok because I can layer under it as needed. I don't know if it will be in the 2017 SL catalogue as they are not going to make them any more, but I know they have some inventory on line. I typically wear a medium jacket and I have a couple of the Vortex in size large for layering underneath. It's also a very affordable suit. You won't be sorry with this suit as you can wear it anywhere from 10 (with under-layers) to 40 degree weather and it blocks the cold winds which is a huge deal.

The Covert suit has a waterproof polyurethane membrane, however the seams are not taped so they can't label it waterproof even though it would have to rain a lot before you got wet at the seams. The suit however is too warm to wear if its above 30 degrees anyway. The Covert is designed for very cold weather when it would be snowing, not raining.

If you want a suit you can layer under like the Cold Blooded suit (comes with a vest layer piece) I highly recommend Scent Loks Vortex windproof suit as it has a polyurethane waterproof membrane without taped seams (like the Covert), a deep napped fleece exterior to mask the noise of the membrane, and it's my all time favorite cold weather suit by Scent Lok because I can layer under it as needed. I don't know if it will be in the 2017 SL catalogue as they are not going to make them any more, but I know they have some inventory on line. I typically wear a medium jacket and I have a couple of the Vortex in size large for layering underneath. It's also a very affordable suit. You won't be sorry with this suit as you can wear it anywhere from 10 (with under-layers) to 40 degree weather and it blocks the cold winds which is a huge deal.

I did not know that about the wind proof and covert suits. I wear the covert 40 and below but anything above that you will be baking in it. I saw the vortex suits have been popping up on discount gear websites so you may be right about discontinuation. Might be a good time to stock up!!

I also own two sets of the vortex windproof suits but one is in vertigo camo and I could only wear it in late season. Now I have a second in realtree, but they are very versatile suits for mid and late seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely d_rek

The buck I took in Ohio was using a Vortex in Vertigo and if I can I'm going to get another. A phenomenal layer garment is scent loks vertigo fleece vest as it has a membrane to aid in blocking wind, frees up your arms, and keeps your core warm.

Absolutely d_rek

The buck I took in Ohio was using a Vortex in Vertigo and if I can I'm going to get another. A phenomenal layer garment is scent loks vertigo fleece vest as it has a membrane to aid in blocking wind, frees up your arms, and keeps your core warm.
So you have a good experience with the vertigo pattern?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've had great experiences with Vertigo when the situation called for it. Either snow in trees and on ground or in a tree with a sky background.

If I had to have only one suit, it would definitely be RTXtra because it fits the most situations.

Thanks I will be checking them both out. The closest box store to me is in Buffalo roughly 50 miles north. It's hard for me to get the time to go there just to browse and usually when I do I have my two young boys with me. That quickly turns into babysitting two kids who want to go look at all the animals and not wait for dad to browse the hunting clothes.

Back