• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scouting Video Suggestions

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
I am heading out again tonight for another weekend of Scouting. I have a few treestands to prep and some more mineral licks I want to get out. Also have a couple Cameras I've had out since December I'm going to pull and check the cards.

I like doing these short videos to help any of the new young hunters getting into bow hunting. But I often feel like I'm repeating myself. Anyway, is there anything in particular any of you would like for me to film while I'm out there this weekend?

I might do an update on my Nucanoe as i get a lot of questions on it and how I use it.

Just keep doing what you are doing. We enjoy just being out there with you. Its good to hear others thought process when they walk into an area. Sometimes we get stuck in a rut of thinking one way and its good to hear others views.

I'd like to see a walk thru of your mineral site setup. Where, why, & how you set your cams on them.

Also if you could show anything relate to your pre-boots on the ground work. What are you looking for when doing your map work?

Cbigbear said:
I'd like to see a walk thru of your mineral site setup. Where, why, & how you set your cams on them.

Also if you could show anything relate to your pre-boots on the ground work. What are you looking for when doing your map work?

OK I am actually going to set up two mineral licks so I will try to remember to take video of them and give explanation for why I picked that spot.

As far as map work I will see what I can do but I am usually very leery of posting actual aerial photos and maps as last year it cost me a couple spots. I frequent another site and keep an on-line journal. I had posted some maps and photos and last year two places were over run with "new" hunters there. These were areas I have hunted for several years and never saw anyone in before.

For the most part what I do when I want to hunt a new WMA - is google earth it to get an aerial photo. Then here is specifically what I mark on my map/photos
1. Access points.
2. Water (creeks, rivers, lakes, etc)
3. I mark all edges and funnels
4. I then zoom out and locate all neighboring PRIVATE land crops, water and farm roads)
5. I look for hardwoods
6. Large weed fields with points/isolate trees

Once I do this initial marking, I then look for and eliminate most of the easy to get to and obvious sites. I also look for unique ways to enter - kayak, drop off on Highway (I never park where I hunt I will have the little lady drop me off on major highways/county roads as I don't want people seeing my truck - yes she has gotten up at 4:00 AM to do this for me). I then look for potential food sources (I focus in on acorns, browse, plum thickets, etc.).

Then I make two scouting trips. The first one I go light and cover everything - at this point I have no plan on setting anything up as to many times in the past I settled for first good spot and not the best spot. I look for rubs, scrapes, funnels, elevation changes, water sources, and travel corridors. I am also looking for confirmed bedding spots (I try to identify them as doe or buck bedding), entry/exit trails (especially faint downwind/J Hooking trails), I confirm food sources (especially natural browse) I look for other tree stands, and finally I am looking for good entry and exit routes. Overall I am looking for those areas near buck/doe bedding, and then natural travel corridors and then isolate where terrain or cover will make them most vulnerable. I pass up a lot of good spots if they don't tip the odds in my favor. One other thing I pay attention to is the way the weeds are laying over as this will give some indication of the most common winds in that particular spot (over winds are not always the best indicator as terrain can do some wild things to cause winds to shift direction)

In between the first and second trip I pour over my notes and maps/photos and decide the best locations for ambush sites, mineral sites, and best camera spots. The second trip I pretty much know the best areas I have found and I go in and set up trees and put in any cameras and minerals I determined to do.

There is so much that I think about in between the first and second trip. One final thought, I don't set up my tree if I am wondering did I pick the right spot. I would rather wait until I have a pretty confident gut feeling that I did enough ground work and thinking to where I feel like I have the best ambush spot. If I can't get there I rely on camera and observation stands to get me dialed in.

I will see if I can get some videos and pics together for this but it will probably be May after I get all my initial scouting done. I will try to focus some videos more on why I am looking at a spot in the mean time.

DaveT1963 said:
Cbigbear said:

OK I am actually going to set up two mineral licks so I will try to remember to take video of them and give explanation for why I picked that spot.

As far as map work I will see what I can do but I am usually very leery of posting actual aerial photos and maps as last year it cost me a couple spots. I frequent another site and keep an on-line journal. I had posted some maps and photos and last year two places were over run with "new" hunters there. These were areas I have hunted for several years and never saw anyone in before.

For the most part what I do when I want to hunt a new WMA - is google earth it to get an aerial photo. Then here is specifically what I mark on my map/photos
1. Access points.
2. Water (creeks, rivers, lakes, etc)
3. I mark all edges and funnels
4. I then zoom out and locate all neighboring PRIVATE land crops, water and farm roads)
5. I look for hardwoods
6. Large weed fields with points/isolate trees

Once I do this initial marking, I then look for and eliminate most of the easy to get to and obvious sites. I also look for unique ways to enter - kayak, drop off on Highway (I never park where I hunt I will have the little lady drop me off on major highways/county roads as I don't want people seeing my truck - yes she has gotten up at 4:00 AM to do this for me). I then look for potential food sources (I focus in on acorns, browse, plum thickets, etc.).

Then I make two scouting trips. The first one I go light and cover everything - at this point I have no plan on setting anything up as to many times in the past I settled for first good spot and not the best spot. I look for rubs, scrapes, funnels, elevation changes, water sources, and travel corridors. I am also looking for confirmed bedding spots (I try to identify them as doe or buck bedding), entry/exit trails (especially faint downwind/J Hooking trails), I confirm food sources (especially natural browse) I look for other tree stands, and finally I am looking for good entry and exit routes. Overall I am looking for those areas near buck/doe bedding, and then natural travel corridors and then isolate where terrain or cover will make them most vulnerable. I pass up a lot of good spots if they don't tip the odds in my favor. One other thing I pay attention to is the way the weeds are laying over as this will give some indication of the most common winds in that particular spot (over winds are not always the best indicator as terrain can do some wild things to cause winds to shift direction)

In between the first and second trip I pour over my notes and maps/photos and decide the best locations for ambush sites, mineral sites, and best camera spots. The second trip I pretty much know the best areas I have found and I go in and set up trees and put in any cameras and minerals I determined to do.

There is so much that I think about in between the first and second trip. One final thought, I don't set up my tree if I am wondering did I pick the right spot. I would rather wait until I have a pretty confident gut feeling that I did enough ground work and thinking to where I feel like I have the best ambush spot. If I can't get there I rely on camera and observation stands to get me dialed in.

I will see if I can get some videos and pics together for this but it will probably be May after I get all my initial scouting done. I will try to focus some videos more on why I am looking at a spot in the mean time.

Great post Dave!! I am really enjoying your videos and It has given me some new ideas in my scouting for this year. keep up the good work!

Nothing I hate more than a hitchhiker or piggybacker. Thats why I like to hunt and scout alone. Seeing a plan come together is more rewarding than the actual kill. Most people don't feel that way and its all about the hero pic to put on the internet. Takes a special person to be a true hunting buddy.

swampsnyper said:
Nothing I hate more than a hitchhiker or piggybacker. Thats why I like to hunt and scout alone. Seeing a plan come together is more rewarding than the actual kill. Most people don't feel that way and its all about the hero pic to put on the internet. Takes a special person to be a true hunting buddy.

Boy aint that the truth! I have a SMALL group of good friends that I share info and hunting spots with and they do the same for me. Very hard to find friends willing to put in the same amount of work and time.

Good stuff Dave. I follow your journal on the beast as well. Anything related to Southern hunting & particular bed hunting down here gets my attention.

I'd like to see anything about your mineral sites as well. Even a video with your recipe and putting it together. My hunting time is going to be drastically cut now that I have a baby and I am going to put more effort into trying to locate specific bucks to hunt prior to the season this year.

My formula is pretty simple. 2 parts of Tractor Supply general all purpose livestock mineral to 1 part fine stock salt . I really work this into the ground using a special hoe... I will show it in the video this weekend. Then to help the deer find it I will use 1/2 bag of deer cane right on top. I use 20 pounds of mineral/salt mix for initial set up. I put out a mineral lick about 1 for every 75 acres and I try to place then near bedding on exit trails that are easy to get to. More to come this weekend...

I picked up some mineral salt and stock salt right before my shoulder injury. Hopefully i can get it put out sometime next week. The two areas I want to inventory the most would both be near little water holes way back in cover. I have high hopes for those both being high traffic hunts early season when it is still mid 80's and everything is thirsty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back