• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scouting Video

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Just Uploaded the 1st video in my 2018 scouting video series. This one covers how I first go about selecting a public land WMA to hunt and then zeroing in on exactly where to focus my scouting efforts using aerial photos.

Just watched this. Look forward to the next several!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I tried to upload video 2 but it was rejected due to size. Man it is hard to cover enough without going over the size limit of you five. I'll try to work on out this evening... disk I had afterward to where I could but this one into two seperate videos. More to come.

Been having trouble getting the second video sized down to fit on YouTube. I am going to try to reshoot it this week and probably make it a few videos.

Also, since I found a pop up blind 10 yards from one of my favorite trees last week I am NOT going to use any aerials form my actual hunting spots. Sorry, but this is the third time now I feel like posting on social media has burned me. Could be coincidence but I seriously doubt it as I have been hunting these spots for almost a decade and I have never had company.

Been having trouble getting the second video sized down to fit on YouTube. I am going to try to reshoot it this week and probably make it a few videos.

Also, since I found a pop up blind 10 yards from one of my favorite trees last week I am NOT going to use any aerials form my actual hunting spots. Sorry, but this is the third time now I feel like posting on social media has burned me. Could be coincidence but I seriously doubt it as I have been hunting these spots for almost a decade and I have never had company.

Sorry to hear that. That's really ****ty of that individual.

I don't blame you Dave. I will not post any of my spots online either.

Thanks again Dave!

Any chance you'll be bringing your camera with you on the 20th? If it doesn't expose your area, it'd be awesome to see specifically what you're keying in on while you're scouting for beds and how you plan to hunt them. Is it similar to what Dan shows in the hunting beast DVD's or are there any modifications you've made to those tactics to up your odds at hunting the whole bedding area vs. a specific bed?

Thanks again Dave!

Any chance you'll be bringing your camera with you on the 20th? If it doesn't expose your area, it'd be awesome to see specifically what you're keying in on while you're scouting for beds and how you plan to hunt them. Is it similar to what Dan shows in the hunting beast DVD's or are there any modifications you've made to those tactics to up your odds at hunting the whole bedding area vs. a specific bed?

Yes - video 3 I will highlight two or three specific areas on one of the micro maps and then video 4 will be out in the field scouting and confirmation. This is all going in blind so we will see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Yes - video 3 I will highlight two or three specific areas on one of the micro maps and then video 4 will be out in the field scouting and confirmation. This is all going in blind so we will see how it turns out.

Right on man! You just made my day! Looking forward to it!

Shot two videos this evening showing the aerial photos and how I plan on scouting this public land next weekend. The first video is up.

Last edited:
For those that have been following this Saturday I will head out to the areas we looked at on the aerial photos for some actual scouting. Since I do NOT have editing software, nor do I have time, I will post several videos from the day next week showing the four areas I highlighted on the recent scouting video. if there is something you want me to address or cover post here, or email me davet1963@ymail.com and I will try to cover them while out there. This is first time I have ever stepped foot on this property and the goal Sat is to scout - determine if there are bucks worth pursuing in the area, identifying trees to prep, selecting some mineral site/licking branch spots to set up and place cameras to take inventory, then of course looking for ambush spots, bedding areas, doe bedding, travel corridors, other hunter pressure, etc.....

Later in year (March/April Time frame), depending on what I find Sat - I will make additional videos as I prep trees, cut shooting lanes, establish entry/exit strategies, set up cameras, etc....

Should be fun?

Back