• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Scouting

So I went out scouting yesterday and seen this while I was out on public land. It looked to be about 5' long.
04116747a04c36f91211e60d3ca8ea35.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah, they had said they had turned some loose out there, but the past couple of years I haven't seen any until then kinda woke me up I guess, lol.

I have seen one up here. One was enough for me. I bumped into this guy on the side of a ridge a couple weeks ago. Just not a snake fan.
ddb6760c65bcf634621a2a280eeb0812.jpg

As bad as I hate snakes, it's just part of it in the southeast. I do as little scouting as possible may-August though.

Yeah, I've got a camera out now I'll wait for 2-3 weeks or so before I go back

I put a couple cams out in a public swamp in late june and had a close encounter with a cottonmouth. Plan to go back and get those in a few weeks and am sure I'll encounter another.

I have been walking the south GA swamps for almost a year now. I have yet to see a single snake. Go figure.

Now Alligators...all the freaking time. They're EVERYWHERE!

I have been walking the south GA swamps for almost a year now. I have yet to see a single snake. Go figure.

Is there gator hunting on Fort Stewart?

NO! it's not allowed on Fort Stewart and they are waaaaaaay overpopulated. Every time I get on the river I see more than 1.

Timber rattle

They were going to release a bunch of timber rattlers at a resivior not too far from where I live because they had become nearly extinct... there was too much opposition from the locals though so the plan was botched...

As bad as I hate snakes, it's just part of it in the southeast. I do as little scouting as possible may-August though.

Mississippi is eat up with snakes. That's why I try to get all my sets done during February and early March. Just out watching deer at long range a few weeks ago and almost stepped on a cotton mouth.

Maybe the alligators are eating all the snakes.We have timber rattlers here and copperheads here in southern Indiana but I've never ran into a rattler but have the copperheads.

In Ontario we have one small rattle snake but it does not exist where I hunt. The only thing poisonous that I have encountered is poison ivy. Got a bit scouting last week
If you hate snakes move here:grin:

They were going to release a bunch of timber rattlers at a resivior not too far from where I live because they had become nearly extinct... there was too much opposition from the locals though so the plan was botched...
Yeah I wish I would have known before hand don't know how much I could have done but at least tryed, all this happened several years ago before I hunted this area. I guess I've got to be a little more careful out there

In Ontario we have one small rattle snake but it does not exist where I hunt. The only thing poisonous that I have encountered is poison ivy. Got a bit scouting last week
If you hate snakes move here:grin:
Yeah that would be nice, not to have to worry about snakes in the early season this years they are saying the weather is going to stay warm up till Nov and from what I have seen on the weather forecast they are saying in the 80's, not good!!

Back