• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Screw in steps or ladder stix?

Autumnrider

For a preset tree setup, do you prefer climbing using screw-ins or a ladder stick? Why?

I've been using 20' stix. why---- seems easy but I have yet to try any other method, plus just by adding up the amount for sticks and screw-ins, sticks are cheaper.

Pegs will let you hunt trees where steps either wont work due to diameter or angle. Otherwise you are right - sticks can be purchased fairly cheap.

It's strictly a matter of preference (or budget).

I use both. I prefer sticks, but screw-ins are easier to transport. If I'm going a long way, or setting up where there is a fair chance of another hunter finding my spot, I'll use screw-ins.

My favorite are the ladder sections from sportsman's guide. The 3 packs are only $26!!! I use 4 or 5 sections depending on the tree. I use the top section as part of my platform.

Screw in steps. Sticks are bulkier to carry and they stand out like a sore thumb on a tree if you are leaving them there.

Redsquirrel is right - the sticks do stand out.

I still prefer them for ease of use, plus I like to use the top as part of my platform. They're also faster to install and easier to climb. They suck for concealment though. There are definitely tradeoffs.

Back