• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing machine

Root

_20171003_222726.JPG
Well the price was right (free) so it's time to do something with this. It's a singer 6233. I'm not sure what is rated to do and I couldn't find much online so far.
What are you guys using for thread? Do I need something that tolerates the weather we see in trees? I'd like to make some pouches to start with.

I've used Spider Wire, and Berkley Fire line with good success out of my old Singer 1591 as long as I don't go too big of diameter. The type of needle makes all the difference.

Any suggestions on where to look for what needles to run?

A sharp needle, you can find them at any craft store.
Everything I've read suggests that you replace the needle prior to beginning EACH and EVERY new project. I haven't always performed this step, but it probably helps. I'm a complete hack with sewing....er, I mean injecting thread. That being written, my circa 1935 single stich Singer can push thread through multiple layers of webbing and cloth so I don't worry too much and just plunge away.
It probably matters more if sewing stuff for ultralight backpacking or other ventures where the cloth can snag on the slightest of burrs on your needle. As for me, I sew nylon webbing and cordura cloth. If it snags, I don't want it!

For thread I've used upholstery / outdoor thread made from poly or nylon. Neither has let me down (quit literally) so far.

Google a quilting or sewing shop in your area...that is what they do for a living.
I would personally suggest Singer needles as you own a singer.
I have used heavy denim needle with excellent success sewing three layers of single ply webbing with a bar stich.
I don't recommend a leather needle as they are designed to cut rather than pierce the material.
I would also practice with just plain old cotton thread on an old shirt just to get the hang of your machine before trying webbing or heavy material. These will require more attention to detail .
Not hard at all once you're familiar with what your machine likes and dislikes.
A stitching awl is a real help with heavy duty stitching that the machine can't handle.

I have used the Gutermans polyester its weatherproof. As stated above a sharp needle is key. There is info out there, youtube has a bunch of stuff,...(yes you will probably be watching some lady stitch up a floral day bag) don't ask me how I know that!! Different materials like different types of needles. I have made up several hammocks and a couple of baffled down underquilts , & just added a waist belt and some gear loops to my sit drag...
Remember to backstich the first few stitches to lock in the thread. Happy Thread injecting

The youtube comment brought me back to some videos i used that were extremely helpful.

Sewing basics....found this video to be very straightforward. The lady in the video is very good at explaining everything she is doing.

Sewing webbing...

The webbing videos are a series of 4 or 5 videos. Very good info in them.

Thank you. Once my material shows up I'll be trying my hand at making a pouch for the tl.

Well I finally sat down the other night to make a quick pouch. That's when I discovered the machine doesn't work. Thinking I could probably figure it out and fix it I jumped on line and tried to figure it out. The needle thread tension adjustment is broken. I don't have time to mess with it so I took it to a repair shop and I'm waiting for the news. They ended up lending me one so hopefully tonight I'm injecting thread.

Cheap is the biggest thing. It'd just be nice to make my own custom stuff for what I actual use it for.

Ask around...you probably have a friend that can sew. Sewing is hard enough when everything is working perfectly. Troubleshooting when you don't know what you are doing is HARD!

I have a few pro seamstress friends...I have been meaning to take a class :)

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I’d want a sewing machine ... but now at garAge sales all I look for is sewing machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm off and running with the loaner. First time I've sewed since home economics in middle school 21 or so years ago. If this pans out and mine can't be fixed I'll be hitting up craigslist once the hunting fund gets out of the red.

Well I made a phone pouch to hang on my saddle. I like to take pictures and video with my phone in the tree and since the saddle blocks my normal pockets I put it in my pack. Getting it out with deer close is to risky. So hopefully this thing works. I'm not a huge fan of using the snap but I made it so the lower part falls down below and shouldn't make noise. _20171019_223835.JPG _20171019_223909.JPG _20171019_223943.JPG

I didn't have any pins to hold anything or a marker that would draw on it. So free hand it is. I have a bunch more stuff I want to make. Hopefully by next year I will have built my own pack since I've never had our seen one I really like. I'd also like to build some insulated chaps that I can throw on quick when the temps drop.

Back