• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewing machines

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
First off, I have absolutely no clue about sewing machines. All I know is I could really use one for some projects.

I want to get a sewing machine capable of sewing webbing and possibly tarp material.

From what I gathered here I want a single stitch machine with reverse.

Can anyone suggest ideal models to look for?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

There are alot of mach out there. If you want an all around , readonably priced mach, go to sailrite. com, and check them out. I have one , and its great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you go on Rokslide.com, they have group of guys that are constantly making and modifying equipment. They jokingly go by the "seamsters". You'll find more than you want to know. My mom sews, and I have two machines....and I've used neither. That's going to change.

There is a line of Singer "Heavy Duty" machines that are good and cheap. On the Hammock forum they call them "thread injectors".

I have a 1935 era Singer treadle. It only does a straight stitch, but I have sewn through multiple layers of webbing and cordura with it.
I bet I could sew two pieces of plywood together with it.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

First off, I have absolutely no clue about sewing machines. All I know is I could really use one for some projects.

I want to get a sewing machine capable of sewing webbing and possibly tarp material.

From what I gathered here I want a single stitch machine with reverse.

Can anyone suggest ideal models to look for?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
Psss.. .They are called Thread Injectors here :)

Craigslist is your friend.

I have been all over Craig's list but it's tough not knowing anything. I know I want something old, with metal gearing, and standard available parts. Though, I don't know which models that may be.

I am sans computer right now because I moved my family already in advance of my retirement from the Corps in a couple months. 1 Feb I go on terminal leave after 23 yrs 9 months and 14 days - not that I am excited about it or anything!
Tomorrow I'll see if I can narrow down some model numbers for you.

One key thing to look at is what models have 'normal' bobbins. Some have a elongated ones that are difficult to find. I would think you'd want a regular type that you can pick up anywhere.

I bet there are some threads here that list models you can try.

I bought a Singer Heavy Duty on Amazon for around $80. It's done everything I've ever asked of it.

I watched for a straight stitch older machine for quite a while. Prices were high around me. Ended up finding a late 60's early 70's Kenmore zigzag machine for $25 on Clist. Looked brand new and came with everything including the manual. Once I figured out the proper way to thread, it has been great. The only items I have had trouble with, I knew at the start were pushing the limits (3 layers of webbing). Anything outside of the limits of the machine I do with the speedy stitcher.

As your watching listings, Google the models. Tons of sewing machine reviews out there. And if the machine is strong enough to do what you are wanting, you will generally find reviews saying so. My general guideline was to look for something older than 1970 with standard parts.

For those of you that have done webbing is it important on how the material feeds? I've also been looking and I'm held up on reading about different feeding methods.

I can't speak for everyone, but my treadle machine flys through stuff like cordura and other fabrics. For webbing - especially multiple layers of webbing, I just take my time and spin the big wheel on the right of the machine by hand. I only make saddles for myself so if it takes me a while, so be it. If I made them to sell my method wouldn't be cost effective.

I think worrying about various feeds (like a walking foot) is more important when sewing things like nylon or silicon impregnated nylon for ultralight backpacking. Don't ask how I know, but if you did ask I'd tell you it is cheaper to just buy someone else's already sewn up pack.
You'll cuss a lot less too...trust me.

What I would like to be able to also do is heavy marine vinyl and canvas for my fishing boat. Which is what led me to a walking foot, but that's where I'm lost.

What I would like to be able to also do is heavy marine vinyl and canvas for my fishing boat. Which is what led me to a walking foot, but that's where I'm lost.
What is your budget? I bought an old singer walking foot a couple of years ago. It will sew through anything I can get under the foot. It's a simple straight stitch with reverse, but it's a beast.

It was made in the 40s and I bought it from an upholstery shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd like it to be somewhat cheap, but I would rather spend more for something that will do what I need it to without having to fight it all the time.

Back