• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sewn and wrapped eye

CharlieRayT

Just finished sewing and wrapping an eye on one end of my Predator rope. First I measured out 16 inches and made an 8 inch fold. I used a double strand of nylon speedy stitcher string and stitched a four inch long section on both sides of the rope. Then I used some number 36 bank line and wrapped up about a 5 1/2 inch section. I basically wrapped it like a bow string serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 147
You pretty confident in its holding power? I'm sure it will be fine but would be cool to do a rope like that and torture test it to see what it could handle!

You pretty confident in its holding power? I'm sure it will be fine but would be cool to do a rope like that and torture test it to see what it could handle!

I'm confident in its holding power. I have some regular Home Depot camo and black rope that is about the same diameter. I'll sew one up and see what happens. Any ideas how I can test it. I'm thinking I could use my Tacoma some how.

I'm confident in its holding power. I have some regular Home Depot camo and black rope that is about the same diameter. I'll sew one up and see what happens. Any ideas how I can test it. I'm thinking I could use my Tacoma some how.

Hook it to the hitch and a tree maybe? Lol.

You may want to knot or burnish the tag end coming out the bottom of the serving to prevent it from slipping up through the serving. At least that's what's done on bowstrings.

I'd have to look at how string builders make their loops on strings. I don't think they are just served to hold the loop, though I could be wrong.

I just figured out what kind of bothers me about this though - bowstring builders are ALWAYS building their strings pre-loaded and under tension. If you didn't build this the same way i'm guess the predator rope is going to stretch considerably when you place a load on it and will screw your serving up.

Last edited:

2 things - Please video the test, And make sure someone says "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Seriously tho, that's very nice looking work.

I think the Tacoma is begging for a cameo in the test video....

That looks like a "by the book" sewn eye, though, so I doubt there are any issues with its strength.

I think the Tacoma is begging for a cameo in the test video....

That looks like a "by the book" sewn eye, though, so I doubt there are any issues with its strength.

I didn't think to take pics of the stitching but I looked at several examples first. I also used a dull needle so as not to damage strands in rope.

You may want to knot or burnish the tag end coming out the bottom of the serving to prevent it from slipping up through the serving. At least that's what's done on bowstrings.

I'd have to look at how string builders make their loops on strings. I don't think they are just served to hold the loop, though I could be wrong.

I just figured out what kind of bothers me about this though - bowstring builders are ALWAYS building their strings pre-loaded and under tension. If you didn't build this the same way i'm guess the predator rope is going to stretch considerably when you place a load on it and will screw your serving up.
A friend of mine works at a pro shop and builds strings daily ; he told me after wrapping the strands on the jig the ends were cut to opposite ends and after all servings are woynd with the string tied at 300 lb tension as to pre stress it, he never ties the end off to anything.
I was interested in learning the craft but since he only charges me material prices I haven't pursued it further....
So the sewn wrapped eye would in my opinion be stronger if only wrapped (very tightly) and not sewn ,as to damage any fibers of the rope.

Back