• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Shelf life of Scent control products?

d_rek

Hi,

I know we have a few members here with chemistry backgrounds - question to those few:

What is the effective shelf life of scent control soaps, washes, sprays, etc?

I know some sprays are made with vegetable enzymes, which I would assume are more volatile and cause them to lose effectiveness over shorter periods of time.

But what about washes, soaps, etc? What are the shelf life on these items? I rarely go through a full bottle of soap or scent detergent in a season, so often have some left over from the previous. Should I consider these things a one-and-done? Or are they good for several seasons?

Thanks for your time

Regards,
d_rek

Great question d-rek!! I'm left holding a little after each season as well and would rather not discard if its effectiveness isn't altered by time.

I am no chemist but like you guys I always have a little left over. I will never go past two seasons with a product and have not seen any ill effects.

Soaps, washes and deodorant I have had for years and used them.
If I find that stuff on clearance I buy a bunch.

I bet I've used them 5 years old.

Sprays I always assumed they wore out earlier. Now, one of the chemists will probably tell me I have it backwards...

But I can say that if I use the soap and deodorant, even with a long walk, carrying a climber and then climbing up, hunting, climbing down and hiking out with climber - I don't smell myself. Not the same as a deer or even close. But I am sure if what I used was completely useless I would stink after warm weather hunts like this.

Found some facts. I just opened a box from 2014.

The deodorant says expires 5/17.

The bar soap says 7/18.

My bad eyes don't see anything that resembles an expiration date on the Spray bottles - which is what I'm most concerned about.

Found some facts. I just opened a box from 2014.

The deodorant says expires 5/17.

The bar soap says 7/18.

My bad eyes don't see anything that resembles an expiration date on the Spray bottles - which is what I'm most concerned about.

I looked at all of my HS, scentlok, dead down wind, and wildlife research sprays, detergents, shampoo, soaps - EVERYTHING! - and could not find a single expiration date.

Back