• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sit drag vs Kestrel vs TL Saddle?

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
I bought a Trophy Line Saddle a few years ago with full intentions on primarily using it (instead of hang ons)for strictly bow hunting. I'm an experienced hang on hunter and I'm an agile climber not afraid of heights.
But I just can't stay comfortable for more than a couple hours in my saddle. It's mostly hip pressure that bothers me.
My question: is the sit drag or Kestrel more suited for all day sitting or do I need to alter or adjust the TL Saddle in some way? I realize there are many factors involved that effect comfort including platform choice.

Where are you attaching your tether to the tree? For reference I attach mine around eye/forehead.

[QUOTE="My question: is the sit drag or Kestrel more suited for all day sitting or do I need to alter or adjust the TL Saddle in some way? I realize there are many factors involved that effect comfort including platform choice.[/QUOTE]

All three saddles have the same issue. Spending time in any saddle is the best way to get comfortable in it. Learning how to make adjustments and re-positioning yourself in the saddle is key. Transitioning to saddle hunting is not something you do quickly in fact don't be surprised if you really need to dedicate a season to it. I started in a TL saddle and moved to a Kestrel last November. If you're not comfortable in your current saddle, don't buy another because you'll have the same issues. Spend more time hunting in your TL saddle and keep asking questions here and slowly you'll see that saddle hunting is a viable option to a conventional stand.
Oh yeah, welcome aboard!!

Where are you attaching your tether to the tree? For reference I attach mine around eye/forehead.
I've played around with it a little but it's usually around the top of my hrad.
And if it matters, my Saddle is basically stock except I replaced the suspenders with clip on style, but that won't effect sitting comfort. But I am still using the stock tether and bridge. I didn't know if the bridge, etc would make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a lot of hip pinch until I asked some questions. Apparently I was attaching my tether through the top layer or my TL bridge and that pulled my lower layer tight together. Others on SH.com advised to hook into both layers...problem solved....but I use my TL for bulky winter clothed hunts and my NT Evo for lightweight/medium clothed hunts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I ....but I use my TL for bulky winter clothed hunts and my NT Evo for lightweight/medium clothed hunts.

So, there IS a difference in comfort with these diffent systems? I'm assuming the the Evo and Kestrel are very similar? Is that an OK assumption on my part?

So, there IS a difference in comfort with these diffent systems? I'm assuming the the Evo and Kestrel are very similar? Is that an OK assumption on my part?

I don't have a kestral, so I can't speak of that, but I know there is more adjustability to the evo.

I've played around with it a little but it's usually around the top of my hrad.
And if it matters, my Saddle is basically stock except I replaced the suspenders with clip on style, but that won't effect sitting comfort. But I am still using the stock tether and bridge. I didn't know if the bridge, etc would make a difference.

As an experiment, try moving it down and see if it helps, that is the easiest thing to control with the trophyline.

As an experiment, try moving it down and see if it helps, that is the easiest thing to control with the trophyline.
Okay. And I assume that shortening the tether should help with hip pressure because it would shift more weight to my feet??

Okay. And I assume that shortening the tether should help with hip pressure because it would shift more weight to my feet??

It's all about the angle created by your tether. Having the tether higher up creates a larger angle which often results in hip pinch (everybody is different and you have to find a spot that works for you). Lots of guys are happy with the tether around eye level so that is a good place to try and then work from there. It doesn't have anything to do with shifting weight to your feet. I sit in my saddle with about 90% of the weight on my butt in the saddle.

Also, which bridge does your TL have? Mine have extremely short bridges which can lead to discomfort.

Also, which bridge does your TL have? Mine have extremely short bridges which can lead to discomfort.
I put a pair of Petzel ring opens through the factory sewn loops with a ropeman 1 on the right side ring , fed the bridge rope through it with a small biner on the other end to experiment with a longer bridge vs the factory short bridge...I would estimate it almost doubled the comfort combined with tree rope hookup at about forehead height. I've found the tree height hookup for me is a little more forgiving to comfort.

As other have posted ... it's a personal preference. Find yourself a place to hook up at low altitude and play around with different bridge? lengths, and tree height .
Also , is your TL in your size range...?
I fall between small and med. Went with med to account for layers late fall. It's possible that going up in size could make a big difference.

Also , is your TL in your size range...?
I fall between small and med. Went with med to account for layers late fall. It's possible that going up in size could make a big difference.

It's a medium with a 21" original bridge and tether. And my circumference around my hips is 39 and a half inches...if that helps with sizing.
It seems to me that somewhere along the line before I bought it, I'd heard that smaller saddle size usually works better and that a lot of people buy them 1 size too large. Was that info correct? I wonder if a small would be better for me.
Also, I have the nylon mesh style, not the leather style.

I think a large would be a better fit.
I tryed a small mesh awhile back thinking it would fit better but way too tight with hunting clothes and base layers.

Here's a pic from bowsite.com
A larger TL does work, just baggy on the walk in. Maybe you can find someone close who has a large to try for fit...?00small43340380.JPG

I bought a Trophy Line Saddle a few years ago with full intentions on primarily using it (instead of hang ons)for strictly bow hunting. I'm an experienced hang on hunter and I'm an agile climber not afraid of heights.
But I just can't stay comfortable for more than a couple hours in my saddle. It's mostly hip pressure that bothers me.
My question: is the sit drag or Kestrel more suited for all day sitting or do I need to alter or adjust the TL Saddle in some way? I realize there are many factors involved that effect comfort including platform choice.
I recommend the Kestrel over the TL saddle I had a TL neoprene for years and I didn't like it so I sold it. The Kestrel is very comfortable and I had no problem with it. If you want something that is very comfortable try and get your hands on a Guido's web that saddle is awesome for comfort but it's a little bit bulky.

It's a medium with a 21" original bridge and tether. And my circumference around my hips is 39 and a half inches...if that helps with sizing.
It seems to me that somewhere along the line before I bought it, I'd heard that smaller saddle size usually works better and that a lot of people buy them 1 size too large. Was that info correct? I wonder if a small would be better for me.
Also, I have the nylon mesh style, not the leather style.

They do run big .When I bought mine it was a large and it was way to big so I settled on a medium . My pants size is a 38 medium worked out great

I never found any of them to be uncomfortable. I think it is a lot about expectations. I am not expecting a lazy boy tree saddles (that would be the tree lounge). When compared to a regular tree stand I find ALL the saddles mentioned above far better in regards to less back pain. Now when I used pegs and a high tether then I experienced a lot of foot pain. Used with a platform, a saddle is pretty dang comfortable IMO.

But I also exp3ect that I will have to shift my weight and move/readjust from time to time. That is due to GRAVITY not a fault of the saddle. even patients in nursing homes that lay all day have pain from constant pressure on the same point.

So I guess my point is, play around with it, have reasonable expectations and then practice with it more to build up your tolerance. The saddles themselves are pretty good at distributing the weight across the saddle.

Back