• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sitting still

Hillclimber

do you all find it easier to sit still in the saddle or treestand when deer are approaching?

LOL

what he meant to say is you can hide behind the tree in a saddle - can't do that in a stand. Staying still is easier since you are way more comfortable
I know, but I just had to say it.

Get yer laughs in... this past year (before I discovered saddles) I hunted out of a Summit Goliath, and I thought I liked it.

I had to add molle backpack straps & waist belt so it was bearable on a long hike in or out. My son wouldn't carry it, even though it was more comfortable than his gorilla climber, but then he would expect to switch with me so I went up in the small, uncomfortable gorilla. Goliath takes up the entire back seat in my truck, unless I turn it upright when it only takes up most. 21 lbs, plus molle backpack & belt, bow holder and side bag attached, plus stability straps, plus separate backpack, plus bow. AND: clank, clank, clank, every step I take unless I strap it all together, test it, then re-arrange the straps to do a better job getting it quiet.

I know we all came to saddles from somewhere else, but here's what I'm looking forward to ditching this year when I reach my tree:
  1. Set it down off my back, which requires unclicking the waist belt and chest strap, then dropping it quietly into the leaves.
  2. Sigh and stretch back. Notice sweat all over head.
  3. Remove the silencer strap from around it (vertical) Hook it to the top platform so I don't lose it.
  4. Unhook & un-lace the stabilizer straps I use to keep the top & bottom from separating while climbing or in the tree, don't let them clang.
  5. Unhook the elastic backrest straps and try not to let the metal hooks clang on the aluminum stand they're wrapped around (horiz)
  6. Wiggle my backpack out of the back-rest/seat space I crammed it into
  7. Wiggle the big foam seat out from between the footrest bars I had laced it into to make it fit without getting in the way while walking
  8. Separate the bottom platform from the top and lay it up against the tree base
  9. Pull the tree-strap release lever and pull/wiggle the tree strap (rubber coated steel cable with stoppers welded every 6 inches) out from the frame it's tucked into
  10. Feed the tree-strap around the tree and try to stay out of the bushes behind the tree
  11. Lift the bottom platform to a steep angle against the tree and feed the tree strap back into the frame as far as possible.
  12. Tension the tree strap against the frame edge quietly.
  13. Lift the top platform onto the bottom platform - try to get the seat foam cushion between them so it doesn't clunk when they touch
  14. Repeat the whole tree-strap release, pull/wiggle, lift and thread and tension routine with the top.
  15. Lift the top platform as high above the bottom as I can, and then tug it downward to make the teeth bite the bark so it doesn't fall
  16. Climb onto the bottom platform (still at a steep angle), holding the top for balance and keep it from falling.
  17. Dammit. Forgot to get my hoist rope out and connect it to my bow & backpack. Get back down. Connect them.
  18. Get back on the stupid platform. Bundle up the seat & backrest and secure it with the elastic cords and hooks so it stays out of the way while climbing.
  19. Lower the top platform to butt-height and sit on it
  20. Hook my feet into the "easy climb" straps & stirrups.
  21. Dammit II. Forgot to put my stupid tree harness strap around the tree and hook in. No doubt my son is watching this. If I tell him HE has to do it, then I have to, too.
  22. Connect stabilizer straps loosely from bottom platform to top, so if it falls I can pull it back up to where I'm now stuck.
  23. NOW I can finally switch with him so he uses it... or start lifting the bottom platform, scraping against the bark as I go, high as I can lift my legs.
  24. Stand up on bottom platform and hope it bites without shifting and making me load my pants.
  25. Raise tree strap up out of the way around the tree.
  26. Lift top platform to waist height, trying not to scrape against the bark again, and pull my butt up on it.
  27. Repeat steps 24-26 making about 15 inches progress each time, up to 20-25 feet.
  28. Sweat profusely.
  29. Tighten the stabilizer straps so the top and bottom are locked together and against the tree by my weight.
  30. Unhook & arrange the backrest, lean against the tree to pull the elastic cords around and hook them together so it stays up
  31. Put a bow holder around the tree
  32. Slide the seat cushion into a usable location
  33. Pull the accessory rope with my bow & backpack up
Going down is pretty much the reverse. Looking back, I'm surprised we saw deer last year at all... because in addition to all that, I was usually up the same tree as the boy-child, and he's been huffing and sighing about how hard this is the whole way, just 6 feet above me, on the other side of the tree. And then he can't sit still. It's like riding a washing machine spin cycle as he keeps wiggling, moving, standing up because his legs are sore, etc.

Oh yes. This year will be better. Goliath will never make it out of the garage.

Get yer laughs in... this past year (before I discovered saddles) I hunted out of a Summit Goliath, and I thought I liked it.

I had to add molle backpack straps & waist belt so it was bearable on a long hike in or out. My son wouldn't carry it, even though it was more comfortable than his gorilla climber, but then he would expect to switch with me so I went up in the small, uncomfortable gorilla. Goliath takes up the entire back seat in my truck, unless I turn it upright when it only takes up most. 21 lbs, plus molle backpack & belt, bow holder and side bag attached, plus stability straps, plus separate backpack, plus bow. AND: clank, clank, clank, every step I take unless I strap it all together, test it, then re-arrange the straps to do a better job getting it quiet.

I know we all came to saddles from somewhere else, but here's what I'm looking forward to ditching this year when I reach my tree:
  1. Set it down off my back, which requires unclicking the waist belt and chest strap, then dropping it quietly into the leaves.
  3. Remove the silencer strap from around it (vertical) Hook it to the top platform so I don't lose it.
  4. Unhook & un-lace the stabilizer straps I use to keep the top & bottom from separating while climbing or in the tree, don't let them clang.
  5. Unhook the elastic backrest straps and try not to let the metal hooks clang on the aluminum stand they're wrapped around (horiz)
  7. Wiggle the big foam seat out from between the footrest bars I had laced it into to make it fit without getting in the way while walking
  8. Separate the bottom platform from the top and lay it up against the tree base
  9. Pull the tree-strap release lever and pull/wiggle the tree strap (rubber coated steel cable with stoppers welded every 6 inches) out from the frame it's tucked into
  10. Feed the tree-strap around the tree and try to stay out of the bushes behind the tree
  11. Lift the bottom platform to a steep angle against the tree and feed the tree strap back into the frame as far as possible.
  13. Lift the top platform onto the bottom platform - try to get the seat foam cushion between them so it doesn't clunk when they touch
  14. Repeat the whole tree-strap release, pull/wiggle, lift and thread and tension routine with the top.
  15. Lift the top platform as high above the bottom as I can, and then tug it downward to make the teeth bite the bark so it doesn't fall
  16. Climb onto the bottom platform (still at a steep angle), holding the top for balance and keep it from falling.
  17. Dammit. Forgot to get my hoist rope out and connect it to my bow & backpack. Get back down. Connect them.
  18. Get back on the stupid platform. Bundle up the seat & backrest and secure it with the elastic cords and hooks so it stays out of the way while climbing.
  21. Dammit II. Forgot to put my stupid tree harness strap around the tree and hook in. No doubt my son is watching this. If I tell him HE has to do it, then I have to, too.
  22. Connect stabilizer straps loosely from bottom platform to top, so if it falls I can pull it back up to where I'm now stuck.
  23. NOW I can finally switch with him so he uses it... or start lifting the bottom platform, scraping against the bark as I go, high as I can lift my legs.
  24. Stand up on bottom platform and hope it bites without shifting and making me load my pants.
  26. Lift top platform to waist height, trying not to scrape against the bark again, and pull my butt up on it.
  27. Repeat steps 24-26 making about 15 inches progress each time, up to 20-25 feet.
  28. Sweat profusely.
  29. Tighten the stabilizer straps so the top and bottom are locked together and against the tree by my weight.
  30. Unhook & arrange the backrest, lean against the tree to pull the elastic cords around and hook them together so it stays up
Going down is pretty much the reverse. Looking back, I'm surprised we saw deer last year at all... because in addition to all that, I was usually up the same tree as the boy-child, and he's been huffing and sighing about how hard this is the whole way, just 6 feet above me, on the other side of the tree. And then he can't sit still. It's like riding a washing machine spin cycle as he keeps wiggling, moving, standing up because his legs are sore, etc.

That’s an AWESOME post!!! I know the exact feeling!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly why I am switching to saddle hunting. After my 3/4 mile hike through a bever dam swamp, I was way too sweaty. Great description!!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Saddle for sure. Use the tree to hide. Be one with the tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. Sweat profusely.

Ah fond climber memories LOL. Yes SH is like nirvana compared....

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

When the deer are approaching is about the only time I am still. I am constantly slowly swinging around with my head on a swivel looking for deer. When I spot one, I get in position for my expected shot. That often includes moving behind the tree to hide. If I'm not already there I will slowly swing into shooting position when they are not looking to shoot.

LOL

what he meant to say is you can hide behind the tree in a saddle - can't do that in a stand. Staying still is easier since you are way more comfortable

I made a blind to go around the sides and bottoom of my summit climber out of real tree camo fabric. The deer and squirrels thought it was so natural some squirrels would try to join me in the stand thinking it was part of the tree.

28. Sweat profusely.

LOL this sure brings back memories!!! I did it for YEARS!

Back