• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sling style pack

scar1617

For those of you who use a sling style pack, what are the advantages/disadvantages over a conventional pack. Do you wear your pack while climbing and setting up or drag it up after sticks and platform are set up?
thanks.

I like messenger and sling style bags for work and school (that's over, thankfully) but not for hunting. I would rather have the load distributed over two straps and can't see a good reason to use one.

The only way I could see it being useful is if you slung sticks over one shoulder and the bag on the other. I'm curious to see if anyone likes them.

I use both types of packs. I like the sling style in the early season when its warm or I am not having to walk far to set-up I don't need to bring layers of clothing etc. in September and October its still decent in regards to temps. Plus I can walk about through the woods without my quiver on the bow because my pack has a molle style attachment for it along with a handy bino or optic pouch as well so nothing around my neck or just in the way. I find no interference with sling sticks over one shoulder along with the pack. I like a double strap style when it approaches the colder months or for all day sits where I can bring layers, lunch and or if I am walking far to my set-up. Both of my packs are Tenzing and Fieldsupply.com has pretty low prices compared to the big box stores.

Sling style minimalist pack. I love this pack, as you can see I use it as a two sided pack. Going up and coming down ever thing I need is in arms reach. Once I am in the tree I have the other side face me and all my calls and gear for the hunt are on that side. I think this is my 3rd year with this pack and I haven't looked for another pack, no need to.

[youtube]KdV1LCztpOQ[/youtube]

Thanks,
Boswell

Boudreaux said:
Sling style minimalist pack. I love this pack, as you can see I use it as a two sided pack. Going up and coming down ever thing I need is in arms reach. Once I am in the tree I have the other side face me and all my calls and gear for the hunt are on that side. I think this is my 3rd year with this pack and I haven't looked for another pack, no need to.

[youtube]KdV1LCztpOQ[/youtube]

Thanks,
Boswell
I have to second Boswells recommendation on this. This will be my second year with it, and it is so good. First, it can handle more than you think, and second, you are carrying too much anyway :D I use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076Z ... ge_o04_s00 ) in the inside pack for water.

One of the things that I think is great is that it hangs long and slim. I might be overthinking it, but the profile of the larger pack hanging off the tree doesn't look as stealthy as I think I am ;).

The only thing I would say negative is that the "pen pockets" on the inside are very easy to have a pen come out from putting it on/off.

The folks over at Paqlite were nice enough to send me out one of their new packs more designed toward hunters and outdoorsman. The Outpaq, its a molle webbing on the outside giving you the ability to make it modular for you and how you want the pack set up, it also has a second zipper pouch length wise and modular internal pockets.
[youtube]3DXpb_5ORJU[/youtube]

Thanks,
Boswell

I can't find these by searching Paqlite or the names of either bag. Any help?

I never have used the packs that Boudreaux has used, but really like the designs and might have to start.

If I am using a cross pack the one I have used for years is this one http://www.gameplangear.com/productcart ... ategory=11

It's definitely bulkier than those other packs Boudreaux uses, but if your looking for something that has a pouch in the back it has that and also has the ability to strap your coat on the bottom of it and pack it in so you don't sweat the whole way to your location. I can shoot with it on, but typically take it off once I get into the tree. If you have a back support treesaddle you will definitely have to take it off once in the stand. If you are using a sit n drag you could probably wear it the whole time in stand.

I use a messenger bag that was made by Sitka. I bought in on clearance. I really like it. It has some great organization and keeps me from taking too much :confused2: but allows me to carry everything I need. It also caries well if I have a tree stand on my back.

I use the paklite, and I like it. All my stuff is right where I put it, and it keeps me from adding things I don't need. Thats probably the biggest thing. This year, I started carrying a camelpak on longer hunts and that has a couple of pouches for food. The paklite does hang nicely on the tree, keeping a low profile.

Back