• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Smoke deer sausage

swampsnyper

Made a few different batches to try out and start working a recipe. Jalapeño and cheese, sweet heat, and a venison mix from academy.
Going in the smoke house tomorrow.
2deb924c726c82dae9c34bc31265984c.jpg

Any recipes you're willing to share? What ratio are you blending with pork or whatever else you're stuffing the casings with?

60/40 deer/pork
Don't have anything worked out yet. Just starting the 1st trail batch.
Best advice I can give you is don't use the Fiesta brand venison sausage mix from academy. Those are gonna go into the neighbor corner of the freezer for the moochers! Lol
Jalapeño and cheese I use jalapeños from a jar of mt olive diced jalapeños and used regular shredded mild cheddar from the store.
Sweet heat is something the processor by the house came up with. It's delicious. All I know is it has jalapeños, brown sugar, and pineapples in it. So I threw something together hoping to find my own recipe.

I would suggest high temp cheese. You can get it at any butcher and it resists the heat from the smoker better so you have cheese after cooking instead of oil

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Erniepower said:
I would suggest high temp cheese. You can get it at any butcher and it resists the heat from the smoker better so you have cheese after cooking instead of oil

Yes, I'll get around to that one day. Don't know of any butcher near by and I didn't prepare ahead of time to order the high dollar stuff! The test fried patty tasted good but it was all melted into the meat. Baby Steps! Thanks for the advice. Keep them coming. Got a lot to learn. For instance I realized I shouldn't have twisted into links. It made the sausage fold over the bars to much and the links are touching in spots because of it so I'll have discolored spots but hopefully it eats good anyway!

I do all of my own processing, and have tried a bunch of different methods. If you have questions definitely ask

I do all of my own processing, and have tried a bunch of different methods. If you have questions definitely ask

swampsnyper said:
Erniepower said:

Yes, I'll get around to that one day. Don't know of any butcher near by and I didn't prepare ahead of time to order the high dollar stuff! The test fried patty tasted good but it was all melted into the meat. Baby Steps! Thanks for the advice. Keep them coming. Got a lot to learn. For instance I realized I shouldn't have twisted into links. It made the sausage fold over the bars to much and the links are touching in spots because of it so I'll have discolored spots but hopefully it eats good anyway!

I want to get stainless hooks, even if it means buying welding rod and bending it. I have twisted in the past, but ran into what you did. My last batch of snack sticks I just ran a 3-4ft length, left a little space in the end and tied a knot(start end I tied a knot prior to stuffing). I then start at the start end and squeeze flat between my finger and thumb, then fold it over and work my way down the stick. So I end up with no air gaps and links that are folded, not twisted. This method uses less casing, but more importantly easier to do. I then laid them out on racks, but the stainless hooks would be ideal.

As for the cheese, I had heard of the high temp as well, but cheese at a normal store isnt labeled as such. I bought a block of hot pepper jack and cut it into small pieces and just mixed it in. I did that on the summer sausage I made and no issue with it melting or dissolving. Maybe I got lucky, but will do it again on the next batch. Nothing better than cheese and meat. :cool:

Question
I ground twice through a med plate then fried a sample and the meat texture was perfect. Then I stuffed with the grinder. The meat texture in the finished sausage is too fine for me. Is that from stuffing with the grinder? A designated stuffer is on my list to Santa.

Back