• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Snack sticks

swampsnyper

1st time smoking sausage so I made a small batch of snack sticks to test. I did a dry run in the smoker last week regulating my temps low as if I was smoking sausage to get use to the process.
I used 3 pounds of deer and 3 pounds of Boston butt. Grinded medium and mixed with Lem snack sticks mix, some Tony's, some cayenne pepper, and enough cure for the addition 1# of meat I had. The Lem pack was for 5#s.
2cfe4609c9ea186dd2131866f696fa5b.jpg
6915d756e18dd97874ce92b95d806a70.jpg

Stuffed in casing and placed in smoker. I fried up some of the left over mixed meat to sample and the seasoning was good. Only thing I'd change at this point is I would grind with the fine plate next time. It would be goods as is for sausage but I think fine would be better on the snack sticks. We shall see.
e46e849063e1d38e164b1fe6d587233b.jpg

dba20f5f5004826749d2ba49fdcc18d0.jpg

Nice, how do you regulate the temps? Do you have a vent on the door to keep the air moving?

I just created an All Things Cooking section that I am moving this too.

Great job! I just got a kamado style smoker for christmas and my wife even let me set it up early! My first attempt at a pork shoulder low and slow was an adventure, but I did another one yesterday and it came out really good! I've also grilled up a few steaks and some venison sausages and the charcoal flavor is awesome!

kenn1320 said:
Nice, how do you regulate the temps? Do you have a vent on the door to keep the air moving?
Those 3 holes you see on the bottom side of the smoke house, I have the same set on the top of that side and the opposite side with a slide over them to adjust. I have pics of the smoke house on the DIY forum somewhere. Maybe Red can bring it to this board.

So to regulate heat you just throw more wood in the bottom? Reason I asks is mine is propane and I have to fiddle with the temp a lot. As the house gets up to temp I have to turn it down. As the meat temp rises I have to turn the heat down. I thought it would be a set it and forget it deal, but for mine its not.

I recall your build now, its in the diy. Looks great.

kenn1320 said:
So to regulate heat you just throw more wood in the bottom? Reason I asks is mine is propane and I have to fiddle with the temp a lot. As the house gets up to temp I have to turn it down. As the meat temp rises I have to turn the heat down. I thought it would be a set it and forget it deal, but for mine its not.

Seems like you should be able to keep it regulated with a damper on top. Do you have one? If not maybe adjust a crack in the door. Sometimes I open my door if the temp climbs to fast when a log lights up to let out the heat fast. But once they are just smoldering, the dampers do all the work.

swampsnyper said:
kenn1320 said:

Seems like you should be able to keep it regulated with a damper on top. Do you have one? If not maybe adjust a crack in the door. Sometimes I open my door if the temp climbs to fast when a log lights up to let out the heat fast. But once they are just smoldering, the dampers do all the work.

Yes I have (2) house floor vents, 1 on each side about 6" from the top. I typically close the one side where the wind is coming from and crack the other as needed. They are 3x10 I believe. I have another on the front door that I rarely touch, but its about 3/8 of the way open. I installed a needle valve on the tank to fine tune, but I still found myself chasing temps with the upper vents as well.

swampsnyper said:
kenn1320 said:
Those 3 holes you see on the bottom side of the smoke house, I have the same set on the top of that side and the opposite side with a slide over them to adjust. I have pics of the smoke house on the DIY forum somewhere. Maybe Red can bring it to this board.

Moved :cool:

Hey Snyper,
I'm convinced that those sticks are delicious just by looking at them. How do I order a batch?

huck72412 said:
Hey Snyper,
I'm convinced that those sticks are delicious just by looking at them. How do I order a batch?

I don't think I can help you on that but you can buy the LEM backwoods snack stick seasoning and do some in a smoker or the oven if you had too.

Ugly drum smoker. It's a diy smoker build using a 55-gallon drum. Works similar to a Weber Smoky Mountain except that it stays closed during the entire cooking process. (Use the minion method, which is placing unlit coals/chunks in a fire basket and then dumping a small amount of ashy coals on top)

It's a little difficult to do low heat smoking, but it's possible. I've had pretty good results with summer sausage. It's perfect for butts, briskets, turkeys, chicken legs, etc!

I'm sure you can do it just like I did as long as you can regulate the temp. I started around 130 for an hour then went to 140 for an hour then 150 for an hour then 160 -180 till my internal temp got to 160 which took another hour.

Back