• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Some of my self filmed videos

swampsnyper

Just to help get through till next season.

I short drew my long bow on this buck and you can tell the arrow flew stiff (point to the left of fletching during flight). Another lesson learned in my trad adventure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtSffxEdbw

Couldn't get this buck to give me a comfortable trad bow shot, but who knows, I probably would have short drew and missed at 5 yards anyway. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxGU0bod0zw

And a day after shooting a doe at 38 yards this buck gives me a 32 yard shot and I fail again! Maybe I just need to stick to doe hunting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxbMo13vsB8

Some summertime therapy waiting on deer season to open again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1eNg1bvEo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjiBhe1NVg

Lil trip to the midwest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzL0qqMv28

Good stuff. I personally will pass on the trad gear. I'd rather kill what i shoot at instead of being ducked.

That's all part of the challenge. It's not just getting them close but you have to try to interpret what they will do on the shot. Sometimes they don't pay attention to it and others they freak out. Then you have to make that arrow go where you want without sights. Killing doesn't matter that much to me. I just check each close encounters off as a gun kill or very possibly a compound kill. I got my kids hunting and filling the freezer. I'm just in it for the sport of it. Sometimes you can kill multiple game with it because it's so quiet, as long as you are a good shot. Lol

Reactions: WHW
Awesome videos man. I agree with you about the sport of it. I like the excitement. The challenge. I sometimes still hunt with recurve or crossbow or rifle, but I just enjoy it most with my compound bow. Hell, I've thrown and missed with spears, knives, anything i could think of. I've shot a Bunch of things (with rifle especially) through the years, and at this point, I wanna get something for the freezer when I go, but it's not as big a deal as it used to be. Now I try to just concentrate on doing things right and enjoy the experience whether or not it feeds me. As long as I don't get busted doing something stupid and the animal Sees or smells me, I believe I'll get a shot at the animal.I do hate to get busted though, but it's gonna happen sometimes . Great videos seriously. I enjoyed them very much.

Search on my channel. I got some with the kids. Those are my favorite ones. I watch them all the time. Hunt with what you want, I have no problem with any weapon. I may give my buddies a lil grief but they bust on me way more! Lol it's all about having fun. And I love guns. I like building them and shooting every chance I get.

I get it man completely. Just like i think killing a deer with a gun isnt much challange to me. I gave up fishing poles now i dive down while holding breath and battling waves with sharks and try to stalk fish with a speargun. I get it man i do. I just think its 2015 and we owe it to the critter to kill it fastest. Not stick it in the neck, leg or guts when we coulda used modern tech and sealed the deal.

The weapon definitely can do the job. I practice all year. It has its limitations. I hate to wound them too but it's a part of killing. It's not always pretty. Neither is over population and car wrecks and disease. When game commissions set limits, I would think non recovered deer is put into the equation and way more are not recovered from guns as a whole because more hunters use them. We could use missiles and guarantee a quick kill. Sometimes I go to stomp a roach and it goes between the grips of my shoes and I just break his legs. Killing gets messy sometimes.
I shoot fish and frogs with a bow also. Would love to do a duck or goose hunt with it. Spear fishing would be awesome. It's just my thing. Good bad or ugly.

yeah, I like weapons. It doesn't matter that I don't usually hunt with a rifle anymore. I live in the country and we shoot regularly. I also think that there's possibly if not probably more deer not recovered by gun hunters just due to the number of hunters using them. I hate when that happens. It's happened to us all, I imagine, but we try to avoid it. I hit a small branch this past season and partially deflected the arrow I shot at an eight pointer. Fortunately, my neighbor was rifle hunting in front of where the buck ran to bed down. He said he knew I had hit him from the blood and the way the deer couldnt really use his front leg, and he shot the buck at fifty yards with a 30.06 . At least that one didn't have to suffer. The back of my property is bordered by alarge creek, on the other side is hunt club lease. We find several deer shot and dead on our side every year. I know how terrible ifeel if I don't recover something I shot, but some guys don't act like they care. Also, Ducks Are fun to shoot with bows.just thought I'd throw that in there

My cousins would go spear fishing in the Gulf of Mexico at the oil platforms. Always wanted to make a trip with them. Cool videos! I liked them.

Some outstanding videos there man.

I had to laugh at the end of the first video, that's the way I feel most days in general. lol

Hunting with traditional gear is the most fun out of all the hunting I've done. I've only killed a hand full of animals with a recurve, but they were some of the greatest hunts ever. This past year I gave away my recurve because of my shoulder. I couldn't shoot it anymore, it hurt way too much to practice enough. Watching this makes me even more sad now. I feel fortunate to be able to shoot my compound still with high letoff, but I feel like there may come a day when that isn't possible anymore either.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. Definitely awesome videos. I'll be watching more of them. Oh and that doe was ENORMOUS!!!! And for some reason the hog hunt made me think of Deliverance....lol

rr79 said:
I get it man completely. Just like i think killing a deer with a gun isnt much challange to me. I gave up fishing poles now i dive down while holding breath and battling waves with sharks and try to stalk fish with a speargun. I get it man i do. I just think its 2015 and we owe it to the critter to kill it fastest. Not stick it in the neck, leg or guts when we coulda used modern tech and sealed the deal.

RR79 if that is true how do you explain guys missing them with scoped rifles at 50 yards, crossbows at 40, and modern compounds at 20? Just because a person shoots a modern weapon doesn't guarantee a kill nor does it mean they won't wound an animal it happens everyday and if you look at the success rate for any of the legal weapons you'll find it rarely gets above 12 to 15 percent.

I've seen guys with compound who could shoot 80 yards and blow out the bullseye come back opening day whiffing at 20 yards, it happens more times than not. We have a saying when we shoot badly or miss an easy shot, "The nut behind the stock needs tightening!" All hunting equipment is scary accurate until the human element is added.

I will agree though that if your wounding too many animals it is time to try something different but it doesn't always resolve the problem, if a person has extreme buck fever even the most accurate centerfire rifle may not help.

Roger

Matty said:
Some outstanding videos there man.

I had to laugh at the end of the first video, that's the way I feel most days in general. lol

Hunting with traditional gear is the most fun out of all the hunting I've done. I've only killed a hand full of animals with a recurve, but they were some of the greatest hunts ever. This past year I gave away my recurve because of my shoulder. I couldn't shoot it anymore, it hurt way too much to practice enough. Watching this makes me even more sad now. I feel fortunate to be able to shoot my compound still with high letoff, but I feel like there may come a day when that isn't possible anymore either.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. Definitely awesome videos. I'll be watching more of them. Oh and that doe was ENORMOUS!!!! And for some reason the hog hunt made me think of Deliverance....lol

Matty I have to agree I had more fun hunting with longbows and recurves than anything else and even an afternoon of just stump shooting was a blast! I wish I could still shoot it but my shoulder won't allow me to shoot enough to stay proficient past 15 yards and the older I got the harder it was to pick a tiny spot past 10 yards so i went back to the compound but I would jump at the chance to shoot traditional equipment again. Every year I try a couple of times but I have to rest 2 or 3 days to shoot one and you know with the traditional equipment it's all about the practice and I don't feel it's ethical to hunt with a bow, especially, one you shoot instinctively if your not practicing all the time. There was nothing like stalking the ridges and hills of the Delaware Water Gap with just a stick bow and hunting pack or still hunting down a firecut in Greenwood WMA hoping to spot the deer before they spotted me, the deer won that game most of the time. Even though I came back empty handed most of the time as far as game was concerned I brought home a lifetime of wonderful memories and amazing encounters and I truly miss those days, not the best way to fill your tag but a great way to experience the outdoors and good for the soul! >>>>>--------->

Roger

stykbow1, I have a friend who is in the same boat as you. I met him and became friends after his trad days were over but he has mentored me on my journey. He still hunts with his compound but man I wish I would have known him in his trad days. Love the old stories.

swampsnyper said:
stykbow1, I have a friend who is in the same boat as you. I met him and became friends after his trad days were over but he has mentored me on my journey. He still hunts with his compound but man I wish I would have known him in his trad days. Love the old stories.
Swampsnyper,

I think you are doing a great job of making your own memories and having fun while doing it! In my humble opinion the traditional equipment in the right situation and with a hunter willing to accept it's limitations it is just as deadly as any other bow, if the hunter does his part. I think that because your keeping it simple there is less to go wrong mechanically but a larger margin of error for the human factor, but people still miss even with the most modern of weapons.

For me what makes the traditional equipment so appealing is that it puts the emphasis on woodcraft and self reliance more than any other type of equipment except for spears or primitive hunting tackle. Also you end up immersing yourself in the rich history of archery and bowhunting. The next thing you know your crafting your own equipment arrows, quivers, arm guards, tabs, etc... When you take an animal with a bow that you helped make or made yourself and arrows that you patiently crafted it just adds to the mystic of the whole process and accomplishment. I think it's like building your own house from the ground up it's yours through and through and comes with a great sense of pride.

I've killed deer with shotguns, crossbows, compounds, recurves, and longbows but I have to say that I can remember every aspect of the kills with the traditional equipment with vivid detail but some of the others not so much. I realize hunting with traditional equipment is not for everyone and in some cases that is a good thing but it is incredibly rewarding and lots of fun to boot!

Roger

Awesome videos! :mrgreen: I can't believe the encounters with nice bucks in seemingly great light and wide open terrain. As for missing, it happens and the video is nice to see exactly what happened. Part of the allure for me and my trade bow is the uncertainty of where the next shot will go. Something magical about missing by 6" on 2 arrows and the third one sinking into the old arrow hole in the target you were starring at. You have to be amazed when you can hit something so small at say 20yds with nothing more than looking at it. Don't get me wrong, I still have a compound and hunt with it now and again, but its not fun to shoot unless Im back at 50yds or further. It took a lot of the fun out of hunting for me. I would be drawn back in a deer and so confident I was thinking about how I was going to get the deer out before shooting it. Ive missed a few with trade gear, missed more with my gun, and killed the most with my compound.

Ken

Curious as to what filming equipment you use - that's one of my purchases for 2016

DaveT1963 said:
Curious as to what filming equipment you use - that's one of my purchases for 2016

You should get in touch with bowhunter15 on HB, his footage is awesome.

Back