• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spreader Bar to prevent hip pinch

davesonic444

I am a big guy (42 Waist) sitdrags and saddles are too uncomfortable for me. I just had an idea for relieving hip pinch. By placing a pvc pipe between the contacts of the bridge to keep the seat open more. This would go in place after climbing and be wrapped with sound proofing tape. I am thinking a y fitting at each end with cordage to keep it in place so it doesn't slip off my lap. Has this been tried or what are your thoughts ?
Dave

These spreader snaps were often used with butt strap saddles to relieve hip pinch. I worked with guys that used them but I've never owned the type of saddle they'd be used with so don't know how well they work.

Sorry can't get the link to copy right on my phone. Look up spreader snap at an arborist supply house and you'll find them.

There are some threads on it. There is a big thread on doing it for a trophy line that @rickyracer started I think. You might want to look at making something similar to a onehair tree seat. The seat acts as a spreader bar.

Search "kickstand", there is some information that you ma want to read.
If your plan works be sure to post-up some pictures.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

When I made my board & cushion stand ( similar to onehairs) I used a strap bridge and placed grommets on either side. A broom stick with rounded spikes was inserted and worked well as a spreader.

I've wondered about doing this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use pvc though op. body weight plus gravity trying to turn your triangle bridge into a straight line is probably a lot of weight on whatever bar used

Instead of trying to spread my saddle, Ive wondered about trying to recreate the tether.....into something like

upload_2017-11-5_15-40-54.png
obviously not made out of chain, but id run my bridge through both carabiners (screw locks in the picture) to create a square bridge, instead of a triangle.
You don't even need a spreader bar if you can somehow use the tree to keep both of your carabiners separated by use of prussic loops off each side of the tree, daisy chains or something else.
Just stuff in my head though

Last edited:
Obviously, i will try mine on the ground first. I have a preachers seat, was looking at the bridge to reduce the bulk of things i carry.

I used pic, concept worked well. I used "T"s on each end. Also took some heat to the cross bar to form a bow in it to allow belly clearance. There was some pics on here, but photobucket screwed that up. I ended up designing a saddle that didn't pinch like typ saddles, so never hunted with the spreader bar

I wouldn't use pvc though op. body weight plus gravity trying to turn your triangle bridge into a straight line is probably a lot of weight on whatever bar used

Instead of trying to spread my saddle, Ive wondered about trying to recreate the tether.....into something like

View attachment 3241
obviously not made out of chain, but id run my bridge through both carabiners (screw locks in the picture) to create a square bridge, instead of a triangle.
You don't even need a spreader bar if you can somehow use the tree to keep both of your carabiners separated by use of prussic loops off each side of the tree, daisy chains or something else.
Just stuff in my head though

This is the concept of the treesuit, and why it's so comfortable. I have one stock and one I modified with a bridge. It goes from being super comfortable to moderately comfortable. However, the issue with connecting to each side of the tree is it severely limits your ability to turn and make shots. The treesuit is designed to where you can lean/stand, and turn inside the actual seat to make a shot behind you or on off side. That goes away with a saddle that has a belt and leg loops relatively tight.

If I can figure out my sliding tether idea, it should work with two sliding tethers, and then your idea would be in business.

If you don't care about the extreme mobility offered by a minimal saddle with a bridge, then what you're describing would work well. Otherwise, you need to stick to one point of attachment to tree to pivot from.

Back