• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spur climbing help

swampsnyper

My neighbor gave me an old pair he got at a garage sale. I tightened up the leather straps and they broke! Lol
So I sewed some straps together just to practice with.
No way I have them on right. I felt like a turtle upside down on a fence post trying to get 3 ft up the tree. The top of the metal uprights felt like they were gonna snap my leg off under the knee. I know they probably are the worse pads available but I just wanted to climb 3ft.

084832ac2e3c221fcab30626f6165ec8.jpg

c0ada1c8a0c4913549ae57088adb3860.jpg

How far are they below your knee?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ignoring the fact that those things look scary.. the first thing you need to learn to do with spurs is get comfortable balancing yourself on the tree on the spikes. This came to me much easier on my climb rites than the buckinghams FYI. I don't know why.

They look like you have them on rite you may want to adjust the height so they are a touch closer to your knees?
Getting used to them just takes time. I have climb rites and they feel real good. Just need my saddle. Didn’t feel good climbing with my guidos well.

Some may be the spur. I don't care for bucks

Just realized something. In my excitement to run up a tree like @flinginarrows, I didn’t even realize that I was on the learning side of a tree. It wasn’t much of a lean but was a lot easier on the other side. Still got the stabbing action of the top of the uprights digging into the bone under my knee. I’ll have a bruise in the morning.

Just realized something. In my excitement to run up a tree like @flinginarrows, I didn’t even realize that I was on the learning side of a tree. It wasn’t much of a lean but was a lot easier on the other side. Still got the stabbing action of the top of the uprights digging into the bone under my knee. I’ll have a bruise in the morning.
Bucks and T pads suck.

Those “pads” certainly don’t help I figure lol. I climbed in T pads once. That’s all I could handle haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got to pick up some paracord to finish out my climb right spurs. I sure did like how @Erniepower had his rigged up.
I also need to get a less slick webbing for the top strap.... the one I got to start with is slick enough I swear They’re going to come undone on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back