• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Squirrels from saddle

deleted_user01

This weekend didn't work out for chasin' whitetails like I had hoped. So I decided to do a dual hunt for squirrels out of my out of date trophyline in hopes maybe an unlucky deer would happen by.
Went to a preset Tree that hasn't had much activity for deer , but squirrels are . This has got to be the BEST practice senario for ANY saddle hunter...!!! You never know where the little buggers are going to come from.
I ended up with three greys for the afternoon sit. Should have had the fourth in the bag @ around a 5:00 position ( my weakest side ) @ about 18 yds...I was twisted hard with the tether tight to tree and only needed just a tish more articulation for the shot....missed only slightly...that was four arrows / three squirrels...had to save the good broadhead.
This will happen more frequently for me as I had a blast..
Give it a try sometime....best practice out of a saddle I could ever imagine...

Did you use your broadheads meant for deer? Or have a few arrows with small game tip on them?

Great idea! That's gotta be incredible practice in a target rich environment.

Hopefully @redsquirrel doesn't get offended if you kill too many of his family members.
lol.

I think it is a great idea. I've taken a few shots at squirrels from my saddle and they always seem to hop right as I let the arrow fly. I'm about to get a pellet gun to dedicate to squirrel hunting.

Did you use your broadheads meant for deer? Or have a few arrows with small game tip on them?
I've been using the old practice heads that come with the good ones for small game. I've hunted them out of stands before, but never the saddle.
I have an order in for some game claws that look somewhat like the G5 SGH, but cheaper.

I shot one with recurve a couple weekends ago. He was a trophy. Red squirrel with a black head, white face, and white tipped tail. I hit him and he crawled behind a tree. Seen one in the tree that looked just liked him eating acorns. When I climbed down I went look behind the tree and he was gone. Guess that was him in the tree with only a flesh wound. Man I wanted to mount him bad!

I'm looking into a ILF riser recurve build right now. I had and sold a couple recurves both one piece and decided I want a riser cut past center for arrow clearance issues I had with the older bows.

Red feather check out tribe archery I’m a big fan of there ilf risers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to take a blow gun with me when I hunted over bait and would take em out. Worked great and was a lot quieter then a bow.

I use to take a blow gun with me when I hunted over bait and would take em out. Worked great and was a lot quieter then a bow.
What kind of ranges were you using with the blowgun? I used to have oNe I was DANG good with. Used to hunt house sparrows and mice in barns with it.

Out to about 20 yards. I haven't done it in years and would have a hard time hitting anything that far now haha

Back