• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT Guys?

justsomedude

Thinking about SRT with a GriGri2 and Ropeman or two Ropeman.
I don't climb high (recurve hunter) and have been interested in having this as an option but not sure if it is worth it.

I already have 40' HTP 9mm and 32' Yale Bandit 11mm (after knots), two Ropeman 1 and a GriGri2, aiders, slings etc.

I would be hunting trees where the anchor branch wouldn't likely be higher than 20' so I have decent back cover. So if I throw a line and pull my rope over a branch and pull my fig 8 knot over the branch and back down to the ground and girth hitch while leaving my throw line attached, Will that be an OK retrieval method?

I've used paracord gear hauling line to retrieve like this but that assumes I climb all the way up to the connection point (those, I set by hand). Or would I just go ahead and climb all the way up and attach my retrieval rope/hauling line after I set the rope?

This would be instead of Aider climbing, Climber Platform or Climbing Sticks or Tree Bolts. only makes sense if it is less work/weight. I would still have the aider anyway. When I first considered this, the big ropes, hand ascenders, throw lines and weights put me off the idea.

Am I literally barking up the wrong tree? I will experiment on my own but I know lots of you guys have already been down this path.

I don't understand.......why would you pull a figure eight knot over the branch? Pull the plain end over the limb and around the tree. Tie your paracord pull down/haul rope to your fig eight for retrieval. When the bare end comes down, thread it through the fig eight and pull the cinch up taking the pull down rope up with it.

A photo is worth a thousand words but a video approaches the National deficit!! Excellent video!

I've got one tree setup, lol I need some more parachute cord

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah.....I was gonna cheap out a few years ago and I used Poly binder twine instead of paracord. I bought a big roll of it (1000 yards). It cut into the bark so bad you couldn't get a rope up in the tree with it. Stick with paracord and buy bunches of it.

Yeah.....I was gonna cheap out a few years ago and I used Poly binder twine instead of paracord. I bought a big roll of it (1000 yards). It cut into the bark so bad you couldn't get a rope up in the tree with it. Stick with paracord and buy bunches of it.
Do you still use throw line?
I have a throw bag coming in the mail and already have some heavy Zing it laying around

Yes...for initial tree set-ups, but i don't leave it in trees to pull rope up. Paracord is cheaper. I also tried to use paracord as a throw line. I think you need about a 16 oz. or bigger throw bag to get it to come down.....it sucks.

I tried para cord and a tennis ball....it was horrible, the throw bag is worth it in my opinion, I got the 16oz and wish I got the 12oz but I plan on only using it to setup trees, or of I planned an all day hunt so I could move.

SRT guys how do you keep it quiet?

I think it takes practice. I haven't hunted yet using the method but played around in the yard. I though it was noise with all the mechanical devices.

Yeah seems kinda noisy, I got rid of the pulley which helps, and I've just been using pre-set spots but pulling up the rope and my ascender seem noisy to me. Also haven't seen a lot of deer so I think I'm spooking them.

SRT guys how do you keep it quiet?

With a little practice, you can streamline your equipment to the point were there isn't much mechanical noise at all. For instance, instead of a hand ascender with foot loop, carabiner and micro pulley I use just a ropeman 1 with a carabiner. This combo although harder to use, makes no noise at all. I also started out using a grigri 2 for descending and switched it out for the Mad Rock Lifeguard. To me the grigri side plates seemed very loose and made noise. The lifeguard is also slightly smaller which is a plus. My whole system consists of two carabiners, a ropeman 1 and the lifeguard. Very simple and no noise.

Yep. The GriGri rattles unless you carefully keep the load steady. And it springs open when unloaded and clicks.
The first time I tried all of this, a climber friend of mine loaned me a set of hand ascenders and foot loop etc. It was so heavy and noisy I immediately dismissed rope climbing for a while.

Back