• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT with ATC Guide

Cameron

Im still working through my minimalist setup but had some good luck. I first was trying to just use some Prussik loops to ascend a rope by sit standing and it was a pain in butt. Luckily, my REI dividend hit and, after seeing some of treefool's youtube videos, bought an ATC guide. That made climbing up 100 times easier. Now I'm torn though. I had still been using a Prussik for my foot loop, but want to try a klemgeist knot or maybe a Bachman. I have plenty of 11mm rope, and over 20' of my 8mm PERS rope I was planning to use for prussik knots. The 11mm was a little tight to climb up and I really had to put my weight on the foot loop to descend. The 8mm flew up the rope, but the lines kept crossing coming down and I'd have to do a reset. Luckily it was only 10' up in my front yard, but still. Anyone have any recommendations? I don't want any more mechanical (heavy/expensive) parts since this isn't my primary method of hunting, but looking for some more SRT expert knowledge and experience. Thanks!

If your serious about climbing get a hand ascender and a foot sling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The atc guide is for belay/rappel only, its not meant for ascending and honestly very dangerous to use. I use a grigri2 backed up with klemheist friction knot on 8mm cordage while ascending my 11mm static line.

The atc guide is for belay/rappel only, its not meant for ascending and honestly very dangerous to use. I use a grigri2 backed up with klemheist friction knot on 8mm cordage while ascending my 11mm static line.

Are you using a hand ascender and a pulley? I just discovered the Bachman knot and thought it could almost replace a hand ascender and would like to add SRT to my tool back but without the 300 dollars worth of gear. Could you safely do this without the ascender, or if you need grigri, just go ahead and spend the extra cash on an ascender. Any recommendations on ascenders? Also, could you use a 5 step aider for a foot sling or will the extra steps just get in the way while you climb?

Are you using a hand ascender and a pulley? I just discovered the Bachman knot and thought it could almost replace a hand ascender and would like to add SRT to my tool back but without the 300 dollars worth of gear. Could you safely do this without the ascender, or if you need grigri, just go ahead and spend the extra cash on an ascender. Any recommendations on ascenders? Also, could you use a 5 step aider for a foot sling or will the extra steps just get in the way while you climb?
You're going to want a backup mechanical ascender/rope grab or a friction hitch as backup to the hand ascender. You could run the grigri2 by itself and be perfectly fine, as long as the rope your using is what the grigri2 is rated for.

Gotcha, grigri as a backup, it's nice that it auto-locks as you climb up.

I think I've kind of decided to go for a grigri, pulley, ascender setup, but was wondering if my climbing rope would work, it's a dynamic climbing rope.

Gotcha, grigri as a backup, it's nice that it auto-locks as you climb up.

I think I've kind of decided to go for a grigri, pulley, ascender setup, but was wondering if my climbing rope would work, it's a dynamic climbing rope.
You're better off with a static line by far if you can afford one.

I got a Sterling 9mm HTP rope and I just got a Grigri.............then saw the thread on rappelling and will be swapping it out for the Lifeguard but I realized that it's not rated for 8mm rope, it says 8.9mm-11mm, which is the same as the lifeguard. It did all work great today with the 9mm Sterling.

https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-GriGri...=UTF8&qid=1500946315&sr=8-2&keywords=grigri+2

https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Rock-Lif...1500946436&sr=8-1&keywords=lifeguard+mad+rock

I got a Sterling 9mm HTP rope and I just got a Grigri.............then saw the thread on rappelling and will be swapping it out for the Lifeguard but I realized that it's not rated for 8mm rope, it says 8.9mm-11mm, which is the same as the lifeguard. It did all work great today with the 9mm Sterling.

https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-GriGri...=UTF8&qid=1500946315&sr=8-2&keywords=grigri+2

https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Rock-Lif...1500946436&sr=8-1&keywords=lifeguard+mad+rock
Why the swap?

Sorry for the delay guys, had a kid and dropped off the face of the earth. I’m still unclear why the ATC guide can’t be used as the ascender. I tried this exact method https://treefool.com/climb/#budgetrads and it works really well. Plus the foot loop can be set up as stirrups. The rope sizes still seem to not quite be perfect for me but after the second test, both ropes went much better. I am considering an alpine butterfly below the ATC as a backup but nothing has slipped yet.

I haven’t actually hunted from the sitdrag yet but I may this weekend at ground level if the snow is too crunchy.

Sorry for the delay guys, had a kid and dropped off the face of the earth. I’m still unclear why the ATC guide can’t be used as the ascender. I tried this exact method https://treefool.com/climb/#budgetrads and it works really well. Plus the foot loop can be set up as stirrups. The rope sizes still seem to not quite be perfect for me but after the second test, both ropes went much better. I am considering an alpine butterfly below the ATC as a backup but nothing has slipped yet.

I haven’t actually hunted from the sitdrag yet but I may this weekend at ground level if the snow is too crunchy.
You can use it if youre a very experienced climber but there are much more foolproof ways to ascend and descend a rope.

Back