• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stepladder question

Treehugger32

Ok everyone I am fairly new to the site and haven't done a lot of digging through the forum so forgive is was already posted and I haven't seen it. So hear is a question I have in regards to the the stepladder setup. First I'm liking the way they setup and everything but they seem like they would be noisy so I was thinking about getting stealth strips for them or maybe putting a rubber coating of some kind on them.Has anyone tried that with any success? To me it seems like you would only have to do the back side of each step to keep them from banging together. With that in mind and assuming the stealth strips work good on them then it comes down to them fitting into the bag. If I get them I'm probably gonna get the the 12 step system and adding the stealth strips maybe getting a 16 step bag to account for the little bit of extra room need with the strips. Unless they still fit in the same bag with the strips on them. Any advise or comments would be appreciated

Wait until you get the stepps to decide if u need the strips. I don't think you'll need them. I'm new with them and can be pretty quiet.

Ok cool I will do that. There are so many options out there just trying to get a good setup right the first time and stick with that for a least a couple of years.

Yea I like the way the you can setup them to use a platform. Kind of a all in on setup. Compact and simple to use plus I'll have all summer to practice and really get it all dialed in with my sit drag.

If you do strip them I wouldn’t worry about space. It shouldn’t make any difference in packing. I did my sticks & platform, everything locks together just fine.

Yea I like the way the you can setup them to use a platform. Kind of a all in on setup. Compact and simple to use plus I'll have all summer to practice and really get it all dialed in with my sit drag.

That's what drew me to them, being an "all in one" system.

I'm curious to see how quiet they'll be. Hoping I can set them up without that "thunk" you hear in the videos.

The bag design keeps them tight I dont think you need to wrap them. They are an awesome run n gun system. getting 3 stepps somewhat level for a platform will take a lot of practice so plan for extra time first few hunts. Once set they are a great platform though.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Yea the "thunk" in the videos was what has a little worried, especially when setting up close to bedding but I'll see what they are like when I get them. I'm sold on them so I'll get them as I can.

I wrapped mine in camo vet tape just for an extra precaution.

I find them pretty quite, but I have had some clanking issues climbing down in the dark and putting them back in the bag. Going up tho I have not had an issue. One time I didn’t zipper the bag after a few stepps being put in and when I stepped down to next step they all fell out, not that quiet when that happens. Lol. I’m more aware of zippering the bag as I pack them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used them all this pasted season. I found that I still used my Lone Wolf sticks and then used three of the steps for a platform. I carry five of them, three for the platform and two for late season to get up a little higher.

I got my steps yesterday. Looking to play in yard tomorrow.

I find them pretty quite, but I have had some clanking issues climbing down in the dark and putting them back in the bag. Going up tho I have not had an issue. One time I didn’t zipper the bag after a few stepps being put in and when I stepped down to next step they all fell out, not that quiet when that happens. Lol. I’m more aware of zippering the bag as I pack them

Had that happen once too before using red’s aider and packing fewer. Yeah that was loud!

So I was thinking today after watching the aider video on the wild edge site has anyone tried a 2 stirrup aider on the bottom step? Much like diy sportmans video he did for his lone wolf stick. I think that would great and get you higher right from the start.

So I was thinking today after watching the aider video on the wild edge site has anyone tried a 2 stirrup aider on the bottom step? Much like diy sportmans video he did for his lone wolf stick. I think that would great and get you higher right from the start.
I’ve fastened a Stepp as high as I can reach, attached a 5 step big wall aider www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/climbing/aider/yates-big-wall-ladder to it climbed up to the top and repeated. It’s kind of a pain to reach down, disconnect the aider Below you to reconnect it on your new Stepp above you.

I can go 7 feet per Stepp. Super light setup. 4 Stepps plus the aider is less than 5 lbs and gets you 28 feet. Top Stepp is part of my platform. I don’t have it down to a fast or smooth process yet but it works. I haven’t seen anyone else post that they do it this way though.

That would work. I girth hitched a wild edge gear hanger around the aider and clipped that to the Stepp.

How many clips are you using? Great ingenuity. I know the clips on the site say they can handle hundreds of pounds.

Last edited:
Back