• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Suggestions - scouting public land piece

bigcat93

SH Member
So.. I plan on scouting and setting up in here sometime this week. State public land, I know it gets hunted but i think it gets hunted more on the south/western edge of the land. There are various trails for runners and joggers which cut all through everything. The open field is supposedly an air field for air shows and things of that nature. But the river catches my eye. The red are "would be paths" into the green stars which is where I think I would like to place my stands based solely upon aerials. Yellow is the closest parking space. It borders a golf course to the north, and horse farm to the northeast. The across south east side of the road is private property.

How would you guys go about it?

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 10.50.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-23 at 10.51.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-23 at 10.51.56 PM.png

here is a map of the land with all trails running through it

Attachments

• Allaire map .pdf
    433.1 KB · Views: 11
Have you been there? Is it used heavily by runners? If so, I wonder how the constant presence of non hunters would affect your hunt...maybe that will be an advantage because if they wind you, you're perceived as less threatening?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have you been there? Is it used heavily by runners? If so, I wonder how the constant presence of non hunters would affect your hunt...maybe that will be an advantage because if they wind you, you're perceived as less threatening?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Haven't hunted here but the area I'm more interested in does not have jogging/bike trails through it. But I know people who have hunted around those trails with success but I would like to stay away from the masses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigcat, I've hunted that piece in the past. It always held good deer numbers. I haven't been in there in years but farther back along the golf course was always good. I used to fish the ponds across the street also, good bass fishing.

Bigcat, I've hunted that piece in the past. It always held good deer numbers. I haven't been in there in years but farther back along the golf course was always good. I used to fish the ponds across the street also, good bass fishing.

Ah sweet, that's good news then I'll definitely do some quick scouting this week and set up for an afternoon hunt back there. Have you ever hunted closer to the river, maybe off a river crossing that seems to be well travelled?

Ah sweet, that's good news then I'll definitely do some quick scouting this week and set up for an afternoon hunt back there. Have you ever hunted closer to the river, maybe off a river crossing that seems to be well travelled?

Not personally, but my brother in law used to hunt somewhere along there close to the road and river. He always did very well. Good luck.

Thanks, sat this afternoon at the bottom of a ridge behind me and the river about 40 yards in front of me. Had a yearling come in with only one antler around 540.. was hoping some bigger boys would follow but they didnt. He did freshen a scrape on his way out though which was reassuring

That's great for your first sit in that spot. Stick with it, things are ramping up big time. 195 was littered with dead bucks this week so they're chasing.

That's great for your first sit in that spot. Stick with it, things are ramping up big time. 195 was littered with dead bucks this week so they're chasing.
Probably won't get back there until after this early bow seasons ends on monday. Going to sit my better spots sunday/monday where the wind is right.

Probably won't get back there until after this early bow seasons ends on monday. Going to sit my better spots sunday/monday where the wind is right.
The way you worded that wasn't clear to me, so I just want to make sure you know that Fall bow ended yesterday and permit bow starts today.

Back