• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target practice from ground vs tree

DC10

ive heard John Eberhart mention on several occasions that he never target practices from the ground because he doesn’t want to have to worry about bending at the waist to ensure that his form is the same as when shooting from the ground.

He said that if you target practice from the ground and then get ready to shoot from a tree, you must pull back on your bow and then bend at your waist (without slouching forward) before shooting or you’ll shoot a few inches high.

From the way he makes it sound, it has nothing to do with having a rangefinder with angle compensation but is a form issue.

I know John always seems to go the extra mile in everything he does, but does anyone else notice a difference in their shooting from a tree after having target practiced from the ground? Just wondering how vital it is to only target practice from an elevated position.

ive heard John Eberhart mention on several occasions that he never target practices from the ground because he doesn’t want to have to worry about bending at the waist to ensure that his form is the same as when shooting from the ground.

He said that if you target practice from the ground and then get ready to shoot from a tree, you must pull back on your bow and then bend at your waist (without slouching forward) before shooting or you’ll shoot a few inches high.

From the way he makes it sound, it has nothing to do with having a rangefinder with angle compensation but is a form issue.

I know John always seems to go the extra mile in everything he does, but does anyone else notice a difference in their shooting from a tree after having target practiced from the ground? Just wondering how vital it is to only target practice from an elevated position.
At short ranges, the vital area on a deer is big enough that it doesn't make much difference. But at 30(?) yards or more your shot gets funny enough when you're shooting from high up that you could miss. An angle compensating rangefinder helps adjust your expectation of the distance to your target and use the correct pin.

I just bought a rangefinder this morning, and have been looking into this myself. I'm going to use local 3D shoots' elevated platforms to practice this all summer. The first time I tried 3D shooting from up high, I missed even at a relatively short distance target, and that surprised me. John's practice of shooting from an elevation all the time, seems like it would break this bad habit instead of making it something I have to think about every shot.

At short ranges, the vital area on a deer is big enough that it doesn't make much difference. But at 30(?) yards or more your shot gets funny enough when you're shooting from high up that you could miss. An angle compensating rangefinder helps adjust your expectation of the distance to your target and use the correct pin.

I just bought a rangefinder this morning, and have been looking into this myself. I'm going to use local 3D shoots' elevated platforms to practice this all summer. The first time I tried 3D shooting from up high, I missed even at a relatively short distance target, and that surprised me. John's practice of shooting from an elevation all the time, seems like it would break this bad habit instead of making it something I have to think about every shot.
Yeah, I’m familiar with angle compensation on rangefinders but John wasn’t addressing that. He was simply referring to one’s posture on the ground vs your natural posture from a tree (crouched back leaning down/forward) and the difference that makes in your shot whether you have a angle compensating rangefinder or not.

I don’t see how it would matter if you have a front and rear sight like a peep that matches the ring around your sight. I never noticed a difference if those sights are lined up. Add a bubble level and even more so.

I think it’s great practice and intend to have a dedicated pole just for it soon.

I think it’s great practice and intend to have a dedicated pole just for it soon.

Definitely great way to practice. Foot work, balance, and trusting your saddle play a big role in holding steady and following through on a shot. I thought the question was will the bow shoot different down on an angle. It should still hit where the pin is if everything is still lined up.

Definitely great way to practice. Foot work, balance, and trusting your saddle play a big role in holding steady and following through on a shot. I thought the question was will the bow shoot different down on an angle. It should still hit where the pin is if everything is still lined up.

You’re right, techically there shouldn’t be a huge issue. I think there are a few more variables shooting from a saddle compared to standing on the ground, especially with trad gear. It just makes sense that if you practice the shot as you would take it in a tree that shot will be more easily made.

If you haven’t practiced from a saddle you really need to get out and do it BEFORE hunting. My first time practicing out of a Trophyline many years ago I was pulling shots about 4” right. Seems I was canting my bow and affecting my arrow impact. After adding a bubble level on my sight and making sure my bow was level the issue went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Trophy Ridge pendulums movable sight. I can lock it for ground shooting or unlock it set it on 25 yard mark and it's good out to 35 yards. To bad Trophy Ridge stopped making them it's a great sight.

When John E was on the Saddle Hunter Podcast. He said he never, never, NEVER shoots his bow from the ground. He always shoots from a saddle or on top of his roof.

I think good practice from the ground is important to get your shot mechanics engrained in your brain. After that it’s even more important to get in the saddle and practice the most awkward shots you can imagine while still executing a good controlled shot. The last few bucks I have shot from the saddle have been the most awkward, uncomfortable positions you can imagine but I was able to make it happen because I was comfortable knowing the gear was going to hold me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon E also hunts from 30+ feet. Whether it’s angle compensation or form it’s a good idea to practice from heights. The closer the shot the more angle.

I don’t see how it would matter if you have a front and rear sight like a peep that matches the ring around your sight. I never noticed a difference if those sights are lined up. Add a bubble level and even more so.

If using back tension, the shot won't go off as usual if the front shoulder is out of position. One can be in anchor, with the peep lined up and the shot won't go off.

However if all one does is practice from an elevated position and whatever form they have works then it doesn't matter as long as they're consistent.

If using back tension, the shot won't go off as usual if the front shoulder is out of position. One can be in anchor, with the peep lined up and the shot won't go off.

However if all one does is practice from an elevated position and whatever form they have works then it doesn't matter as long as they're consistent.
Never used a back tension release before. Thanks for sharing.

Just make sure you practice 360, I never really practiced 4 to 5 o'clock and guess where my first deer came from, yup, I totally wasn't prepared and couldn't get a shot off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When you are shooting from a tree and you don’t bend at the waist you will get high in the peep because of the different way you are addressing your string at anchor.Bending at the waist will keep you in that nice solid T that will allow for really consistent shooting.Also the closer the animal is the more crucial it is to bend.

I agree with Buckhole as I always try to keep the “T” when shooting, whether from the tree or the ground. Bending at the waist is critical to consistent form.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back