• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 3 Thread

Rg176bnc

Alright Loneranger and Upstate what states you guys hunting this year? I hunt KS and MO.

So we got 2 easterners and a mid-westerner, should go good ;)

Lets stack'em deep boys.

Full disclosure... Loneranger is my younger brother so there may be some trash talking between our teams :cool:

especially when he decides to sleep in :lol:

redsquirrel said:
Full disclosure... Loneranger is my younger brother so there may be some trash talking between our teams :cool:

This just makes it even better!!!!

Thanks,
Boswell

Boudreaux said:
redsquirrel said:

This just makes it even better!!!!

Thanks,
Boswell

:lol: This is going to be fun!

No entries yet, kind of surprised really though Im sure most guys probably aren't hunting yet. Team 3 will have an entry by next Friday boys.

Rg176bnc said:
No entries yet, kind of surprised really though Im sure most guys probably aren't hunting yet. Team 3 will have an entry by next Friday boys.

I think most seasons are still closed. We kick off here in NJ on saturday, gotta earn that buck with a doe first though!

Unofficially we're on the board boys. I'll get caught up in a day or two.

Rg176bnc said:
Unofficially we're on the board boys. I'll get caught up in a day or two.

Congrats! Can't wait to see some pics!

Ok, time to start some trash talking. First, RG176bnc you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

We are having "deer camp" this weekend at my parents house. Me and DVD22783 are spending the weekend hunting with my old man. I'm not even sure on the odds of the lone ranger showing up... and if he does... of him waking up to go out in the morning.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rg176bnc said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ

This is how I feel Team 3, where are you!

LOL. It is a long season. EAB ends saturday here so lone ranger could put some points up for you guys quickly if he comes out!

My team being awol kinda blows but not as bad as shooting a deer and getting it in the freezer before you realize you took ZERO PICS!

As you can tell from the Deer Contest Entry thread Ive been living right the last week or so!

The rut in KS and MO has been the hardest Ive seen in maybe 20 years. Ive seen so many bucks the last 10 days I cant remember them all. No mega monsters but some solid deer. Buck numbers going to be good the next few years.

First 8pt I posted is a KS public land deer. My buddy and I got to the area we were hunting about noon the first day after the really strong cold front swept thru the Midwest. We're set up about 150yds apart. He's down wind of me but the way the elevation and wind is in this spot we were pretty sure we were good.

Didn't even get in the tree good and had a young doe roll by going up the hill. Get settled in and had about 20 hens come in to 30 yds. Two had beards a tom would be proud of. No tag so they got a pass.

About 2:30 a nice 9pt comes out of the bedding area and is coming dead at me. I go to swing around to make the shot and my knee pad scrapes the tree. He hears it and puts his nose strait up in the air. Away he goes.

4:00 rolls around and a funky 6 with a huge fork comes down the hill. I decide I want to take a better look at him. Hit him with the grunt call and he comes to 7 yds before he sees me. He bounces out to take a better look stomping the whole way. I can hear another deer approaching behind me and I know its a buck by its gait so I take a chance and spin around now instead of waiting to make my move. Its another nice 9 that needs an arrow. He comes straight at me the whole way to about 10yds and sees me. He swings wide and just doesn't offer something Im comfy with. He's gone.

5:00 comes and I hear my buddy shoot THWACK! I hear running and a doe squirts out below me but no buck. Im assuming hes down. 5:10 and a doe with the 8 pt comes down the hill. He's headed to some water to get a drink and gets my wind and runs back up to the doe across my shooting lane about 35yds. No shot. He's snorting and wanting to leave but the doe wants a drink. She heads down and he's not going to let her get far. He stops back in the lane at 35yds and I let the Elite eat.

Shot was good he heads back up the hill and I hear him crash. Its getting dark so I head down to see whats up with my buddy.

He's got a 13pt on the ground that grossed 147". We take a few pics and head up the hill to find my 8pt right where I heard him fall. One of the best hunts ever.

Cant get his pics to load sorry boys.

Next buck was in Missouri. Got in the tree later than I wanted but 2:00 had to work. Had several doe enter the bean field about 3:00. Their going back and forth across the field into an isolated patch of briars. Catch a deer out of the corner of my eye and its the 13pt working a scrape about 200 yds up the field.

I hit him w/ the grunt call several times but I can tell he just cant hear me. He hops the fence and is out of sight. Look back left and theres a spike pushing the girls around down the field. He breaks off and heads to me. He hits 30 yds and I can see his eye is messed up and has drained down his face with some blood on the bottom of his jaw. His gets closer and I can tell its punctured and not functional. He hits the woods and catches my wind. He totally spins around to look out of the other eye. He decides all is good and goes on his way.

Look back down the field and now theres a huge spike with horns shaped like an s hook pushing the girls around. Im prepared to get on of the girls because this is a doe spot first and formost as far as the landowner is concerned. Look back up the hill and here comes the 13pt back and he's closer this time. Probably 150 yds. I hit him w/ some tending grunts and he is on a string!

He gets to where the blind buck hit the woods and stops to smell. Im slowly making my move, he's on my right and Im right handed. Bad news is IM IN A LEANER! I try to slowly get around to the awkward side of the tree and totally lose control. Now Im just swaying in the wind lol. I look and him and hes looking into the woods for the sound not at me. He starts slobbering hard core and comes into the woods into my lane but he's not stopping.

I made a bad shot at 30 yds and hit him right in front of the ham with a NAP Killzone. He goes about 20 more yds and stops. Stands there for 10min and walks down into the creek. Never did see him come out but I know where I hit him so I slip out at dark to come back tomorrow. Im certain Im going to find bones because there has been a male coyote challenge barking right above where the buck was all afternoon.

Get back at 7am follow blood for a bit. Find where he laid down 4 times right together. He gets up and heads to the creek. I figure that's where he'll be. Nope he goes right back up out of the ditch and headed to the grass. Ive still got decent blood but that grass will test the best of trackers.

About 30 yds into the short grass Im losing blood fast. Hes headed up hill and I figure he's bedded at the top for a good vantage point. Im easing up the hill praying for some help and low and behold there he is 25yds head up 16 hours later. I eyeball him for a few and though his head is up he looks dead. I decide to take the shot I have just incase. He was plenty alive after the shot and takes off but he's not very fast so I follow.

I get thru the brush and see him stopped at the bottom of the hill about 80yds. He slowly starts walking so I decide Im going to keep up with him. I see him lay back down between some cedars. I get the wind in my favor and get within 10 yds to end it.

Glad I found him but really hate that the ole boy went out like that.

Congrats on your last week bro!

That sounds like one hell of a time in KS, some great memories! After you made the bad shot you did everything right so don't beat yourself up. Its part of the sport and sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do to finish it, and it ain't pretty.

Congrats on taking the lead in the contest! ;) My bro was out over the weekend and couldn't get a shot an an 8 point, hopefully he can help you out a little!

Took a week off to trap a few coons. Back to the woods some time this weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Rg176bnc said:
Took a week off to trap a few coons. Back to the woods some time this weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Same to you. I'll be out at least a couple times the next few days. I have an itchy trigger finger right now too. I've been passing up a lot of deer waiting for a big one...

Back