• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 8 - Better Late Than Never - Thread

d_rek

This is the official Team 8 Thread for the 2014 whitetail hunting season.

Current Team 8 lineup:
d_rek
NWFLbowhunter
Dwaters416

Dwaters416 has put points on the board with this fine 8pt: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=161&start=50#p2731

Hopefully i'll be scoring soon. I'm heading out both mornings this weekend, then all day after voting on Tuesday, and then I have a weeks worth of vacation starting the 8th through the 17th.

Good luck and shoot straight!

Good luck. I have killed a doe and a little buck already but it was before our team got started

Proverbs 27:17

Dwaters416 said:
Good luck. I have killed a doe and a little buck already but it was before our team got started

If you killed them out of a saddle and have pics of the deer you can submit them. I'm working partially on the honor system for this first contest :cool:

I have a pic of the deer hanging up but not with the saddle in the pic. I don't have any pics of the doe.

Send me the pic of the buck and we'll count it.

Good job. Hanging in a group of oaks I just found popping acorns like crazy. Hopefully add some #s to the team

Had a really exciting hunt end in disappointment this evening as I may have gutshot a nice doe. Going to track her in the AM will keep everyone posted.

Good luck! She will die. Blood might not be great so go slow and look for other sign like broken branches and kicked up leaves. Fingers crossed!

Been at it for 4 hours found a trace but frequent blood trail but the it died out. I've got a few more bodies coming to help look soon hopefully we find her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry everyone it just wasn't meant to be. We looked for 7 hours today but no recovery :cry:

Here's the story..

Shot a doe at 10yrds this evening. She was perfectly broadside. Thought I made a perfect double lung shot. Heard a dull thud after I released and saw her kick up, then run off 40 yards. Timed the shot at 5:07pm.

Found my arrow with blood, brown stuff, and white and brown hairs on it and on the ground about 5 feet away. No blood found where I shot her. Arrow didn't stink like guts though. Just kind of smelled like deer. And after smelling deer guts the weekend before last after my cousin cut the stomach while gutting a deer the smell was pretty fresh in my mind, so I don't think it was gutshot.

Waited an hour after I shot her to check for her. Went to the spot I last saw her and found bright red blood and some hair. Found three different places with blood but then that was it.

Uncle came out and searched with me for an hour but it was really dark, so we called it. I'm going to go back out early in the morning with my FIL.

Anyway, wanted to get opinions on if I made a good shot or not.

Here's the rest of the story... which may or may not provide some insight.

So this doe came in two fawns, with another mature doe and another set of twins. Two buttons and two doe fawns. I decided that if one of the mama's gave me a shot I was going to make good on it. Well they came in just before 5 o'clock at about 60 yards out. I watched them make there way along a ditch that divides the timber and the AG fields at the property I hunted. I threw a couple of soft grunts at them to get there attention, but they just went on their merry way. Well not 5 minutes later one of the buttons is making his way at me and is going to cross 10 yards in front of me. The other fawns, and the does followed. I waited until the last one, which was the mature one, was in my shooting lane, which was only 10 yards from my tree, then made a pathetic mouth bleat and hit the trigger on the release.

The doe I shot bounded off along with the rest of the deer. Well not but a couple of minutes later all of the deer came right back underneath my tree! Even the other mature doe! They were all scent checking and sniffing around where I shot the other deer, but never spooked. Well while this is happening I was looking over where I last saw the doe I shot and I see a big bodied deer standing about 60-70 yards away behind a tree. This deer didn't move at all and my first thought was "damnit please don't be the doe I shot!" Well I couldn't tell if it was or wasn't and eventually all the deer left. I wasn't out of my stand and packed up until 6:30, and was pretty positive I didn't spook any deer.

Also worth noting this would be my first archery deer. I felt like I may have punched my release pretty badly when making this shot, because I was so nervous and jacked on adrenaline.

All in all a super exciting hunt for me. Crossing my fingers I can find her in the morning.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. This would have been my first archery deer, and my first saddle kill. Just have to refocus and get out there and try again!

Bummer man! It happens so hang in there and keep at it. You did all you could, time to move on.

Did you find anything in the trail to confirm it was a gut shot? Stomach contents, watery liquid? When you say you had bright red blood and brown on the arrow, was the brown clearly stomach contents or was it yellowish.. could it have been fat? I am wondering if its possible you really had a meat shot.

Here are pics of the arrow about an hour after I found her, then the blood I found about 1.5 hrs, and the arrow after it had dried a bit.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

I looked for 7 hours today. The last drop of blood was found 250 yards from where I shot her. I'm pretty sure I fumbled the recovery by attempting to trail her so soon after. Outside of getting a tracking dog, which I tried to do (the guy I called was booked, and he didn't know anyone else in the area) there literally wasn't anything else I could do. We made a wide 3-man sweep in the general direction we thought she went, but couldn't find anything.

I'm super bummed, to say the least.

Sorry dude. Yea that looks like a gut shot to me. Better luck next time.

Back