• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The pack out when going light

wesfromky

For those of you that like to hunt light and farther away from your car/truck on public lands, how do you get the deer back to the parking lot?

I have a Kifaru Woodsman pack that I always use, so if I am successful, I have a pack with me that can carry a quartered out deer and my gear in one trip(unless maybe a really big buck might take 1.5 or 2). It is not ultralight, but it does compress pretty well with just day hunting loads.

I take all my hunting stuff out to the truck first, then come back with a couple of buddies and cart if it's a place where I can use it. I'm just hunting a couple miles back at most on public though. If I'm at my families land hunting, I come out and get a atv or tractor or some farm help.

To date I pack my gear out and come back with a jet sled. I'm going to try the gutless method at some point though.

I'm using Game Bags this year. I have an old Army ALICE frame pack that I can use. I'm not more than a mile away but sometimes in difficult to reach spots. I am considering getting a packable pack for meat

Bring trash bags,they serve as rain deterrents for the hunting sack and double as meat carrying sacks. I do this for hogs but deer I gut and cart out as required.

Lay animal on its side and split the hide down the spine. Fillet the skin off and debone as you get to each piece of meat. When finished on that side flip carcass over and skin out the opposing side and debone. This method keeps the meat from touching the ground. Two knifes work best for keeping hair off the meat when running water isn't near.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I am successful on public land I will be quartering and packing them out with my KUIU Icon pro 3200 pack. I've been training all summer, packing weight up and down hills every week. I am confident it will be much easier than dragging! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To date I pack my gear out and come back with a jet sled. I'm going to try the gutless method at some point though.
I do the same thing. I've tried a bunch of different methods and this has been what I've found works best.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I am no more then a couple miles so I usually just head back to the truck and grab my kill bag and roll up sled.

Usually I've got access to drag it then drive in. My pack is a Blacks Creek Cure, half framed hip style with a load sling for packing if necessary.

Field dressing is as far as we're allowed to process a deer in the field here on public land otherwise I'd use other methods. There are no "miles" from the truck here, the further you go in the closer you get to another access point so I hike my gear back and get the game cart. The extra hiking can make for a late night but I don't take enough deer in a season for it to be that big of a headache :)

I will be quartering and packing out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see you on here sir! Love watching your vids!

Thank you, flinginairos, I appreciate your interest. After ordering the Kestrel saddle kit, I thought it would be a good idea to try and educate myself with the world of hunting out of saddles. No better place than here to do so. I'm enjoying exploring the site getting familiar with members and format.

Thank you, flinginairos, I appreciate your interest. After ordering the Kestrel saddle kit, I thought it would be a good idea to try and educate myself with the world of hunting out of saddles. No better place than here to do so. I'm enjoying exploring the site getting familiar with members and format.

Good to see my old buddy here. He has taught me a lot over the years. Even got me started in traditional bow hunting. Lots of knowledge to gain from him and he is always willing to help anyone in anyway. Ever since I been on this site I've been thinking of him and his style of hunting. It would just fit him perfect. Just didn't know why he hasn't given it a try yet. His old super light locon must have finally given out!
Welcome Mr Warren. Glad to have you here.

I'm using Game Bags this year. I have an old Army ALICE frame pack that I can use. I'm not more than a mile away but sometimes in difficult to reach spots. I am considering getting a packable pack for meat
X2...!!!

My gambrel, throw line, and hoist line along with the A.L.I.C.E. and game bags are ready to go.
Try calling a couple friends on game day when you're a couple-few miles back and see what happens...kinda like telling people you need help to move...!!!

Good to see my old buddy here. He has taught me a lot over the years. Even got me started in traditional bow hunting. Lots of knowledge to gain from him and he is always willing to help anyone in anyway. Ever since I been on this site I've been thinking of him and his style of hunting. It would just fit him perfect. Just didn't know why he hasn't given it a try yet. His old super light locon must have finally given out!
Welcome Mr Warren. Glad to have you here.

Hello Jason, thank you for all the kind words. My old 6.5 pound Limit is sill working as good as ever. But, I'm always looking for something better and I believe that the Kestrel, that I have ordered, could be what I've been looking for. I'm thankful for a site like this to be able to shorten the learning curve. Hopefully this old dog can learn a new trick or two. lol

Back