• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The red squirrel climbing aider

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
So I've hinted at this a couple times (finally a project done @g2outdoors!), and I'm finally ready to go live with it. I've been tinkering with this system for a good part of the summer trying to figure out the best way to do it (for me!). @justsomedude posted something very similar to my aider, I think it was in his climbing stirrups thread.

The inspiration: the wild edge aider system. I did not like how it worked though. When I first tried it I wasn't good at putting the stepps on yet, and trying to put them on above my head was even more of a challenge.

I realized that I could put an ascender on a piece of climbing rope, girth hitch it around the tree and put an aider on it to climb and it would do the same thing. Plus having the ascender is HUGE. You can put your foot in it low and move it up and it will make it easier to get on the next step. Or you can do the opposite to lower yourself down coming down.

Options: I first started doing this with cranford rope steps. I can do it but it does require some athleticism to stand one footed on the step while you put your next step on. But the benefit is the rope steps are smaller and lighter.
The wild edge stepps work a little easier for this because you can stand with both feet while you put the next stepp on.
Rope steps: 0.5 pounds each, plus 2/3 pound aider so 6 steps is 3.66 pounds.
Wild edge steps 1 pound each, plus 2/3 pound aider, so 6 stepps is 6.66 pounds.

Height: 6 steps plus stepping up to my step platform will put me at 25 feet to my feet. I am only 5'7".
Advantage over sticks: This setup packs down compact and I can carry it in a pack.
Advantage over current wild edge aider: I'm only dealing with one stepp at a time and I'm not hanging an aider off a stepp.
Climbing time: With both the rope steps and the wild edge stepps I have been averaging around 10 minutes to climb.
Safety: If I'm a couple miles back I don't want to have to worry about things going south. I see some guys using the multi step aiders to get up a tree. If that works for you, great, but I've had aiders try to spin out on sticks and I just don't want to mess with it going all the way up the tree while I'm way back there.
Sidenote: It actually seems that the higher I get the aider attached to the tree, the more stable it is when I'm going up. You also don't want to mess with the side or low side of a tree, gravity will pull you that way.
Question marks: I still need to find a better bag for storing the system.

Technique: Girth hitch rope aider on the tree as high as I can above my head. Put stepp on tree at the level of my chest. Place foot into aider loop and pull the tag end of the rope to raise ascender as high as I can raise my foot. Step up on aider with toe against the tree and step onto the wild edge stepp. It is very helpful to use the rope to pull my body up also. Immediately raise the rope as high as I can reach above my head again. Lower ascender on the rope so it will be easy to put my foot in the loop next time. Place next stepp on the tree at chest level. Repeat this for all of the stepps. I am using a lineman's belt during the entire climb.

489a728c9612cc42afdba782fbfeade1.jpg

ed014e844e29bf20e2b2bbca84ae2522.jpg

31631cb74f79f2ac50385386a961f716.jpg

8efa08b6bcd3f2d0935f4d14df63dddf.jpg

Seems pretty simple. I like it.

I've always said the problem with the Stepp ladders is the setup time for 10-12 of them. Cutting that time in half by using an aider seems like a huge improvement. How long do you think it would take to setup 6? 15 minutes?

I've been trying to remember what it was you had posted about that I was so interested in all weekend. I like it. It allows you to get a good four feet out of each step. I can put my bottom step 5 foot using the aider but then my next step is only a couple feet above that. I may copy that idea and maybe add a prussik above the ascender with a small t handle or large carabiner. If I'm reading this correctly when you climb onto your first step it is the only one on the tree. Couldn't I just use my tether and attach a foot loop to it? Is that a kong ascender. If I used my tether you would only be adding the weight of the webbing foot loop. Then If I had a extra prussik I could use it to help pull myself up. I think I'm stealing this idea. Thanks for sharing.

How long do you think it would take to setup 6? 15 minutes?
15 minute is reasonable. Every time I have timed it from base of tree to top of stepp has been 10-11 minutes. So maybe add a few more minutes in the woods plus strapping on the platform.

If I'm reading this correctly when you climb onto your first step it is the only one on the tree.
Yes
Couldn't I just use my tether and attach a foot loop to it? Is that a kong ascender. If I used my tether you would only be adding the weight of the webbing foot loop. Then If I had a extra prussik I could use it to help pull myself up. I think I'm stealing this idea. Thanks for sharing.
I don't see why you couldn't add a foot loop to your tether. Yes it is the kong duck.
I'm not following you on the prussik though? What are you thinking of doing with it?

Pictures are nice but video in action is better! When do we get the video. I ask as I have been using the Stepp Ladder as platforms in presets and I think this could be a solution!
I will see what I can do.

I like this idea. I made a fixed length webbing aider for mine. Hooks on the second step similar the Wild Edge aider. I just figured my max comfortable set height for the upper step and multiplied by 75% for my aider length.

I see some advantages to your approach. Big one being getting more height out of each step. I also am not a huge fan of hooking to the step.

I really have gone back and forth on how much of a benefit it is to have the aider adjustable. I like simple! Do you see the big advantage of it being adjustable on the ascent/descent/both? Curious of your thoughts on this.

Yes

I don't see why you couldn't add a foot loop to your tether. Yes it is the kong duck.
I'm not following you on the prussik though? What are you thinking of doing with it?
Just adding a handle. Something for fat tails like me to help pull themselves up with besides just grabbing the rope. I may just use the carabiner on my tether as a handle and add a ropeman or kong duck below that for the foot loop. Right now I'm getting about 18-20 feet with a set of 8 stepps. Using three at the top as a platform. The limiting factor has been how high I can tie on the second step above where I'm currently standing. You could also use the prussik loop to hook into your bridge while you move your linesmans around a limb. The aider would still be a pain to move around a limb. I know you can use a screw link but do they make a locking carabiner that is safe for hooking around a tree for the tether?

@skell the big advantage of the aider being adjustable for me is I can put my foot in it then adjust it way higher than I would be able to pick my foot up and fish it into the aider.

Do you see the big advantage of it being adjustable on the ascent/descent/both? Curious of your thoughts on this.
It is huge on both ways. Going up I can easily put my foot in it, and then raise the ascender up the rope so that my step onto the stepp is very easy. Going down I can put my foot in the loop and keep the ascender open with my hand while I lower my foot to where it needs to be in order to step down. When I let go it stays there.

Sooooo lets say I have my left foot in the aider, then I pull that up as high as i can. Take my right foot off the jim stepp and put it on the next jim stepp. Move the tether and install another step and repeat? So you are cutting down to one step instead of 2? or am I missing something?

Just adding a handle. Something for fat tails like me to help pull themselves up with besides just grabbing the rope. I may just use the carabiner on my tether as a handle and add a ropeman or kong duck below that for the foot loop. Right now I'm getting about 18-20 feet with a set of 8 stepps. Using three at the top as a platform. The limiting factor has been how high I can tie on the second step above where I'm currently standing. You could also use the prussik loop to hook into your bridge while you move your linesmans around a limb. The aider would still be a pain to move around a limb. I know you can use a screw link but do they make a locking carabiner that is safe for hooking around a tree for the tether?
Gotcha on the handle. I don't need it, and its a short pull but I understand why you might so try it out. I agree with you, when I was learning how to tie the stepps on, I could barely do it at waist level let alone above my head. That was what originally turned me off on that and led to this. Not a problem now!

The nice thing about the rope hooking on with all rope is how well it grabs the tree. Any time I use a screw link it wants to slide down the tree when I take the pressure off. I could see moving it being a pain if you had to move it every time, but if you just have to go around a limb or 2, its not bad.

Sooooo lets say I have my left foot in the aider, then I pull that up as high as i can. Take my right foot off the jim stepp and put it on the next jim stepp. Move the tether and install another step and repeat? So you are cutting down to one step instead of 2? or am I missing something?
That is how I do it yes. I'm not really cutting down steps, I think I'm making the process easier though and more efficient. My second step would be around 8 foot up instead of 6 . It is easier to install a stepp at chest height than above your head. And my aider is much easier to adjust with the ascender.

I'd be really careful about adjusting the aider step up to much for each step..... You do have to come down and in the dark that might be a bit troublesome if moved to far on the way up?

Last edited:
@redsquirrel how do you move the tether up if it is below the step that you are currently on? seems like it would need to be above the jim stepp, but the pics are seeming like you put the tether below the step.

Back