• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The ultimate ultralight saddle?

justsomedude

IMG_1154.JPG I have a small hammock seat where it is just a short/narrow hammock where you hang the foot end low. It doubles as a gear hammock and backpack cover ...cool piece of kit.

48" long 40" wide camo EpsIlon. Sew double stitched channels into each end and run Amsteel loops (tied or spliced) through each end and girth Hitch to give you a loop at each end. Weighs 3.25oz! Rolls up smaller than a tennis ball.

Well....
I just hooked it to my tether and wrapped it around my back. COMFORTABLE! You can sit in it like a SitDrag and expand the material up behind your back and way down your legs. I was using it without a bridge and just turning inside of it.

You would have to make sure you didn't snag on the material. It isn't silent but it isn't noisy like canvas at all. I didn't have my rock harness yet.

Because it is 48" wide and extends in front and it wraps around you there is zero hip pinch.

Definite possibilities.
I was thinking about making one out of fleece to be silent. I might still try but it won't be as small, light, strong or as easy to move it around for comfort. I would probably reinforce fleece at the channels with some webbing

My original thought was to wrap this in a fleece sock to make it silent but then you wouldn't be able to spread it out as much.

And having the thin nylon is what makes the ends able to gather so small

Another thought....

I think this is the perfect solution for back support. No bulk or weight like padded straps
I like this idea. I used a full length sling doubled under me the other day to give me a break from my leg loops and it was great but the hammock idea seems much better. How much did you end up spending to make it?

Looks real good. What about a mesh similar to the ambush saddle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen the Ambush. But if the material gathers well and spreads out without being heavy it could work.
I have a bunch of fleece. I am thinking about trying a 48"x30" or so (starting dimensions) and doubling up the channels and maybe just reinforcing the outer edges with webbing near the gathers.

That should still give good back support. But it will be bulkier but quiet.

Ripstopbytheroll is anywhere from $3.50-$7.00 a yard and they are 60" wide.
I have an email into them asking what their quietest material is.

They offer lots of different weights too and plenty of camo patterns like marpat and woodland
I like this idea. I used a full length sling doubled under me the other day to give me a break from my leg loops and it was great but the hammock idea seems much better. How much did you end up spending to make it?

That's pretty cool! So would this be safe 30' up?
Well...I would be wearing a rock harness so YES :)
But this is what people are making Hammocks out of (myself included). The only times I hear about these materials ripping is when they are strung on trees improperly and that angle of pressure wouldn't happen with our use.
The way the material is bunched up and we are laying ACROSS it instead of on it makes it very strong.

I would naturally gravitate to some of the 1.6oz weight fabric but I have Hammocks made from 1.1oz ripstop.
You wouldn't want to be intentionally bouncing on these (and theres no reason to any way) but hammocks are strong.
I would probably choose thicker amsteel 'just because' but I use skinny amsteel on my hammock suspension.

I am wearing an Alpine Bod with a 24" sling (the little yellow line in the top photo) girth hitched to the front and running straight to the carabiner/ropeman. There is weight loading on the Rock Harness with the Hammock Sling dispersing it. If the hammock snapped, I would just lose my balance a little but wouldn't fall more than a few inches.

If you spread the material out, it goes almost to my knees and under my arms

IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1212.JPG

Last edited:
Back