• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TL Ambush Saddle vs...?

JBDaddy

I'm new and haven't hunted out of a saddle yet. Looking for low-cost options to get in, since I need 2 of whatever - my 13yo likes hunting with me. We're both big - at or near 6ft tall, both over 240 lbs.

Friend-of-friend is selling an old Trophyline Ambush saddle, size XL... and also has a L he would sell. He's asking $75 each. They're both pretty used, one has a hole in the seat I'd have to patch.

Opinions wanted: buy 2 old Ambush saddles to get started? Or 1 new Kestrel (or something else?) and 1 DIY? DIY would probably be a SitDrag mod for me while I stick the manchild in something a little more overbuilt to calm his mother.

Also: Next week, John Eberhart will be at the outdoor show not far from where I work, and I wonder if anyone's seen him in a show - not seminar - to know if there might be test models of saddles (er, pardon me, John: "harnesses") present to try sizes/comfort/buy on site? If that's the case, I might wait until I go. I'm also hoping his handshake imbues me with super-powers for the year, but that'd be a different post.

Thanks.

(image credit: https://xkcd.com/1801/ )

Attachments

• xkcd - decision_paralysis.png
    xkcd - decision_paralysis.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 46
IMO $75 each sounds like a descent deal if they are in working condition and safe. Getting into a saddle(s) for a small investment may be a good option for a new saddle hunter. Get your feet wet at a low cost to try it out. Again, if they are safe, you could easily get your money back if it isn’t for you. If it is for you then decide if you want to upgrade. I would hold off until after you visit The Godfather. Maybe he could give you his thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know if the release of the kestrel combined with the age of these things would've swayed people.

Thanks guys

Didn't know if the release of the kestrel combined with the age of these things would've swayed people.

Thanks guys
The Kestrel has changed things considerably for the TL. Resale value being the biggest factor. Also, most people like the Kestrel more. All things considered $75 for a commercially made saddle that is as bombproof as a TL is a very good price.

JBDaddy, good advice from Huck. He may not be the sharpest knife in the draw...... but he does know his TL. stuff!

Hey Huck :D

The holy grail of pouches? Not on an ambush? Pre ambush I think @huck72412 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget SD and RC harness pretty safe and comfortable too. I’ve never been in a TL though huck72412.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm mot a small guy and when I bought the TL neoprene saddle years ago from Cabela's I got a large and it was way to big so had to exchange it for a medium . That are made big so I would try them on first to make sure they fit and check the webing and the stitching for wear .

The Kestrel has changed things considerably for the TL. Resale value being the biggest factor. Also, most people like the Kestrel more. All things considered $75 for a commercially made saddle that is as bombproof as a TL is a very good price.

I agree 100%!!

Buy the pair, after close inspection and get started in a saddle.

Don’t forget SD and RC harness pretty safe and comfortable too. I’ve never been in a TL though huck72412.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You can try one of mine anytime sir!

Back