• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trail cams

Saddle9

I have recently had three of my camera's take a dirt nap on my this summer. I really like the Moultrie and Covert camera's. I am looking for a good camera without breaking the back. What is everyone using? What are you experiencing, good and bad? I don't use my cameras on video mode I want still pics if that helps. Suggestions or helpful advice on choosing a camera I will mostly be buying at least two.

I used to use the primos truthcam 35s. They were good for the money for a while, but then I started having lots of problems. I've switched to the bushnell trophycams (which I always put in a bear box). They've been just ok for me. Some of them have worked great, some I've had some problems with. I only buy them when I get them on a great sale, and in general I don't put too much into my cameras because I hunt public land. Although the bears give me more problems than other people lol.

I have beaten up some Moutrie's pretty hard and they do very well for me.
If you want an inexpensive cam, that's where I would start. I picked up a pair around this time last year at Cabelas with 7MP, IR flash, take AA batteries and were like $70.

I have 4 cams, only 3 in rotation. The fourth is a primos Cr which is black flash and meant for close range. Works great, but uses D cell and chews through them like candy.
My other cams are 2 browning dark ops and I forget the other brand. The brand X was a fluke and wish I had bought more. Its in the pocket cam size category and was available at Walmart for like $54 is camo and does video. I took a chance and when I realized I liked it, they were sold out.
The Browning's seem great, but limited use so far. Bought on sale at cabelas $99 each. One would not keep date/time, so had to contact them. Very fast customer service. Tried upgrading software on both cams, it didn't fix the bad one. They asked me to send it in and I just did. My buddy has same cam and loves it. He bought his dad a cheaper browning cam and it had problems. He said their customer service in A+ and quickly upgraded his dad to a better cam as the one he bought on clearance was out of production. Id buy another browning .

Back