• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tree Saddle turkey hunt

I never even gave it a thought. For the past couple of years I've been using a DB blind with good results. It does sound interesting though.

I was thinking even if you stayed on the ground it might work for a comfortable seat.

I don't know i think you might run into a few hang ups with turkey hunting in a saddle.

First with calling, once they get into sight range they will most likely pick you right out and most likely get spooked. I know in the fall i have tried calling them to get closer and they have pin pointed the sounds and they know that something just isnt quite right and off they go.

Second and this is more my personal style but it doesn't give you much mobility. I don't even use a blind, ill slip in close to the roost and set up in my ghille suit and to just a little calling(birds in my area are very call shy). Often i find myself having to change my location to cut them off depending on where they are trying to go so i dont have time to climb down a tree not to mention they will be able to see a 6ft tall man coming out of a tree from a mile away lol! Also once you are up there you are stuck there until the birds relocate to a different section of woods/fields.

Lastly i am not sure what you are looking for either using your bow or a shotgun but i would think that hunting from the air with a shotgun would be difficult to get a good headshot and would end up putting more shot into the body of the turkey. On the other hand with the bow i think it would give you a greater advantage being that there eyes would be more focused at ground level than in the trees you may be able to draw back without being noticed. Although i know that there eyesight can see almost 360 around them!

I've hunted turkey from hang-on stands previously. It definitely helps to use decoys (whether you're using a hang on or a ground blind) but it will keep their attention focused on the decoys. If you're not using a decoy you have a very high chance of being picked off by those laser eyes. I haven't tried a ghillie suit but that would probably help a lot. I've only hunted them with a shotgun. I'm going to give it a go with my bow this year from a saddle. I'm kind of nervous because I definitely move around alot more in a saddle.

The best way to hunt them i've found is ground blind while wearing all black. Shot a nice tom with a 11" beard and 1" spurs last year with my cousin this way.

Question: Do you guys go for vitals or a decapitation when bowhunting turkey? Someone was showing me this "guillotine" broadhead with a 2" cutting DIA. Said he cuts their heads clean off with them.

Also - this should probably me moved to the other game animal forum.

If you have the guillotine style broadhead you will be better off shooting for a head/neck shot. But if you have a reg. broadhead you are better off shooting for the vitals. They say if its a broadside shot shoot to pin the wings, head on is not suggested but shoot for just below the beard, and from behind ive heard to "aim for the 10 ring!" although ive never shot at one from behind. I shot one broadside and had a pass through but high and lost it. Another i shot facing me and hit below the beard and he did a backflip and fell dead.

Anyone looking for a challenge i'd definately suggest it! Plus i have found the after the first shot they all just stand around dumbfounded as to whats going on!

Ive killed 5 toms out of the saddle in the last 4 years. All while deer hunting. Ive used a reg tree stand the previous 20 years and only had 2 shots period!

Calling out of the tree is defiantly a no no once they get to about 100yds. Simply from a mobility stand point I wouldn't do it in the spring but it would work w/ a decoy IMO. Once the leaves are on the saddle is deadly on birds.

Might have to try it this year.
Normally use a HammockSeat so I can stay still for a long time but be able to move as needed

Might have to try it this year.
Normally use a HammockSeat so I can stay still for a long time but be able to move as needed

Back