• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Trophyline Tree Saddle verses Kestrel (do I need to change?)

Billy Buck

I have 3 Trophyline tree saddles, I have both versions with different climbing/safety belt. I like my Saddles but I am wondering if I really need to spend $250.00 to get the Kestrel. Is it more comfortable? I know it is nice not to step through to put it on the Kestrel but what other advantages are there?

Only reasons I can come up with for MYSELF is;

Less bulk.
Adjustable leg straps.
A saddle that's experation date is valid.
I think the Kestral is a nice saddle for what I've researched but I have not ordered one yet as I think there will be several for sale used in the classifieds after the season ends.

If you're happy with the Trophyline saddle, there's no reason to change. The main reason I charged was ease of getting it on and off, no stepping through the leg straps and I didn't like the linemans belt on the Trophyline saddle. Less bulk was nice too.

The biggest advantage of any of the aero hunter saddles compared to trophyline is that they are adjustable. Sizing was very important with trophyline. If yours fits and you are happy and comfortable there is no reason to change.

Another advantage, maybe not for you, but for the saddle hunting community is that the kestrel is offered new and is currently being manufactured :D

To tell ya the truth that Kestrel is a Cadillac. Considering your uncertainty, the most logical thing to do would be to sell me all three of your TL's for $83.3333 each and then throw a penny on top of that $249.9999 and grab a Kestrel. Makes sense.

I have the leather and the neoprene; love and use them both. I've found ways to make them work well for me and wouldn't consider changing AT THIS TIME. There may come a time to change, but as long as my saddles are well maintained (and they are!) they will last a lifetime. If, however, I have any inclination that my saddles are less than 100% safe, then I'll change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering I have two treesuits which have their own advantages, three Trophyline, the leather, neoprene and the mesh, I guess I really have no choice but to try a Kestrel, because as we all know, we need more gear!

If your TL works for you don't change. The Kestrel is great . I had a TL NEOPRENE and sold it along time ago . The Kestrel is way more comfortable in my opinion .

You could buy a kestrel and see if you like it, you will still be able to get most of your money back in the classifieds. And if you prefer it, sell the TLs one for @huck72412 , one for @jryser and one for me :) I bought and sold the kestrel and went back to the TL. My kestrel was delivered the second day of the season Oct 2nd and I hunted out of it until the first week in November. And I hunt as much as I can so I feel like I gave it a fair shot. As everyone is saying super well made, light, comfortable ...its all of that. But for me when I was done adding what I like, suspenders (i have no ass and it would ride down as I walked), I didn't love daisy chaining the ropes so I added pouches, which made the suspenders even more important. I decided to sell it and go back to what works for me the TL. At the time I had the roadtrips leather. Honestly first sit in the TL in November, I shot a buck, the second sit I shot a doe, then a decent buck during rifle season. Maybe my Kestrel was cursed? I call dibs on the neoprene! I have 2 leather and an ambush.

I have acquired a kestrel clone and will be hanging it that this season also so the story does not have an ending yet. Turning into a saddle hoarder... well sort of I have sold a few, to buy a few others...smh

I have acquired a kestrel clone and will be hanging it that this season also so the story does not have an ending yet. Turning into a saddle hoarder... well sort of I have sold a few, to buy a few others...smh

Speak more of this Kestrel clone you acquired....... it wouldn’t happen to be one that was featured in a thread around here, would it?

Speak more of this Kestrel clone you acquired....... it wouldn’t happen to be one that was featured in a thread around here, would it?

It is, a trade was made! A box of HangTime for the clone. @ckossuth workmanship is amazing. Dude has some serious skills, I imagine he plans to tweak it to his wants on a second go round? I doubt there is anything he can't fabricate, by looking at his work. If you are into those shelters he makes, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.

I’m completely cashed out on discretionary spending for the year, so I will have to just be patient when it comes to purchases. It’s killing me though, with all the cool new climbing methods and stuff coming out right now.

Bud the "year" is only 4 months deep ... lol. Honestly I can use a budget, I am over spending for the last year. hmmmm I started this saddle thing last January, coincidence? I think not.

I’m completely cashed out on discretionary spending for the year, so I will have to just be patient when it comes to purchases. It’s killing me though, with all the cool new climbing methods and stuff coming out right now.

I have always kept a small tight budget for my hunting. And just like you, I keep reading these posts with new gear and techniques. It’s got my head swarming. I’m about to do something that goes against everything I believe in.... sell one of my guns, to feed this new addiction!!!!!!’ God help me

I have always kept a small tight budget for my hunting. And just like you, I keep reading these posts with new gear and techniques. It’s got my head swarming. I’m about to do something that goes against everything I believe in.... sell one of my guns, to feed this new addiction!!!!!!’ God help me

It is absolutely an addiction.
But, it is cheaper than a lease..... or cocaine.

Back