• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey hunting

Yup. Killed two toms from the ground last spring in a guidos web The tree makes great cover
I sat about 18 inches off the ground and pushed off the tree to shoot.

First time I used a cedar tree for cover the second time I used three ash trees close together.
I used a shot gun but both were shot at less than 10 yards
I also killed one while deer hunting with a bow a few years ago. That was in a tree.
I carry a turkey tag while bow hunting just in case I see one. I had several close this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have always thought about doing that and never have. I'm always sitting at the base of the tree with a rock in my butt it seems a stock sit drag would be perfect and light weight. The tree would be a good rest for the gun as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been many times that I have hunted from the ground with my sit drag and a ghillie suit or leafy suit. Quite effective especially in a clump of trees or with a bush next to the tree in thicker stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After i get back from lostening to gobbles inthemorning, I'm gonna get out tomorrow and try the guidos web for a fake practice run tomorrow. Want to see how quick I can set up and see how I'll pack my decoys and calls. I imagine the Web will be good for long sits and run and gun.
@Ontariofarmer, how quick can you be set up? What do you do with calls?

After i get back from lostening to gobbles inthemorning, I'm gonna get out tomorrow and try the guidos web for a fake practice run tomorrow. Want to see how quick I can set up and see how I'll pack my decoys and calls. I imagine the Web will be good for long sits and run and gun.
@Ontariofarmer, how quick can you be set up? What do you do with calls?
I do not think I am an expert turkey hunter but a lucky one. I have three toms in the previous few years. All over 20 pounds nice beards and spurs. My best advice is use a tree for cover and safety from careless hunters.
I use a box call and primos gobbler call. I doubt I do it well.
I know turkeys see well so I think that what has helped me most is a bit of cover and a large tree in front of me. I believe most people sit in a ground blind or in front of a tree. I have also sat with two or three medium trees in front of me. So I think I have mostly defeated their eyes.
Another advantage... I have a farmer friend who told me where they were coming out each day ... my scouting was done by friends.
The guido takes seconds to set up.... less time than setting decoys and I have no tree to climb.
With decoys inside the folded guidos web you can walk for a long way. Or I ride my bike sometimes.
I wonder if the bike helps because if I pass any turkeys they hardly have time to think what went by.l
With the guidos sit as low to the ground as you find comfortable and when I took my shots I simply pushed my feet against the tree to come to a almost standing position. All my shots were at 10 yards or less. That is why I think the guidos works. They did not see me until I started to move to take my shot.
My comments on turkey hunting are simply comments about using a saddle to turkey hunt. I have a lot to learn about turkey hunting.

I expect turkeys have bird brains but amazing eye sight. That is my rookie and lucky thinking. Also it helps to have friends on tractors scouting farm land during turkey season.

There have been many times that I have hunted from the ground with my sit drag and a ghillie suit or leafy suit. Quite effective especially in a clump of trees or with a bush next to the tree in thicker stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe I should wear my ghille suit and use my guidos. I will try that.

I do not think I am an expert turkey hunter but a lucky one. I have three toms in the previous few years. All over 20 pounds nice beards and spurs. My best advice is use a tree for cover and safety from careless hunters.
I use a box call and primos gobbler call. I doubt I do it well.
I know turkeys see well so I think that what has helped me most is a bit of cover and a large tree in front of me. I believe most people sit in a ground blind or in front of a tree. I have also sat with two or three medium trees in front of me. So I think I have mostly defeated their eyes.
Another advantage... I have a farmer friend who told me where they were coming out each day ... my scouting was done by friends.
The guido takes seconds to set up.... less time than setting decoys and I have no tree to climb.
With decoys inside the folded guidos web you can walk for a long way. Or I ride my bike sometimes.
I wonder if the bike helps because if I pass any turkeys they hardly have time to think what went by.l
With the guidos sit as low to the ground as you find comfortable and when I took my shots I simply pushed my feet against the tree to come to a almost standing position. All my shots were at 10 yards or less. That is why I think the guidos works. They did not see me until I started to move to take my shot.
My comments on turkey hunting are simply comments about using a saddle to turkey hunt. I have a lot to learn about turkey hunting.
How do you store your calls during your set up?

Never tried as saddle but I do bow hunt turkey here's a few pics of for jake's that were in my backyard that chased a big gobbler away this morning.

Attachments

• 20180316_083056.jpg
    20180316_083056.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 32
Ive been thinking about using my SitDrag this year in a few set ups. I can think of a few situations that it may really come in handy.

Back