• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey Permits!

bigcat93

SH Member
Just looked and i got the two permit choices i wanted for this spring! Pretty pumped!

...hopefully this year i won't miss.. :?

Got mine too. Gotta stop and pick them up this week!

Sweet! I cant wait for the season just abaout a month n a half away!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We had a youth hunTing started already. But the dang state doesn't consider you a"youth"if you're in your 40s. I feel I've been the victim of discrimination . It's not my fault I was born at a very young age

They did extend our seaSon this year though.
It's usually the month of April.
This year it starts March 20 (April 1 on wma) through may 5. So we get a little extra time. Hopefully I don't strike out this year. I am not real good at turkey hunting, apparently. Or I probably just need to find more productive hunting ground, but I see Turkeys here pretty much all year until I try to shoot them. I know they're here, but I've struck out 3 of the last 4 years

Shaun

My permits... well, I hope my buddy has some good properties in a month! Good luck, everyone.

Some of you are crazy like me... if you are looking to waste some money this time of year, check out Oldgobbler.com

It's a great turkey hunting site. And they have several amazing custom call makers. One in particular who I have purchased from won 3rd place in artistic and 1st place in hunting competition calling with the same call. Amazing stuff!!!

Ill have to check out that website Maustypsu.

Wondering.. How do you/have you guys been hunting turkeys? Does anyone ever use their saddle, or do most of you guys prefer hunting from the ground/blinds?

bigcat93 said:
Ill have to check out that website Maustypsu.

Wondering.. How do you/have you guys been hunting turkeys? Does anyone ever use their saddle, or do most of you guys prefer hunting from the ground/blinds?

I only hunt from the ground. Many will tell you that it isn't ethical (and in some states illegal) to hunt turkeys from an elevated position. If it's legal in your state, then the decision is yours. I personally have killed a few and now I love the challenge. I like to get them in really close - have had hens step over my legs like they were a log w/o busting. Amazing experience. But if you want an advantage, height is a good way to get one. And I won't knock you for anyway you can fool one of those old wary birds.

I love old gobbler too. I mostly just lurk on there but there is a lot of good info.

I only hunt turkeys from the ground.

Took the baby out for a walk in her stroller yesterday evening. She got to see her first gobbler! (well she was sleeping through it... but dad got to see his first solo gobbler of the season :cool: )

Yesterday I knew it was on. I was leaving my driveway in the truck and before I got to my neighbor's driveway I had to stop to let ten hens and a Tom cross the road headed toward my favorite hunTing spot.

Our season started today. Had turkeys responding from both sides. One side is the swamp and pine filed ridge and the other side is my small fruit tree orchard and hardwood ridge. I was by a cleaRing in a saddle (low point) between the two ridges set up between the five or six year old clear cut and the thick thick thick stuff by the creek. I had seen them feeding through the clear cut from the hardwood and into this area for the last week or so, but today they must've either seen me or been otherwise occupied. Because they would respond, but I never saw the first bird.

Shaun

Im going to hunt the late season here in Mi, allows you to hunt anywhere in the state the whole month of May.

I hunt the last season in southern Michigan also,cant wait till it gets here,been seeing lots of tom,s

I'm seeing lots of birds around home and on the way to work the past week. Of course not near where I can hunt :lol:

I see them on the road near home but not on my property. I call, they answer. But I haven't seen anything to shoot on my property yet.
I see this every day though. But I don't know where the rest are.
395e2b1d4a6033cdac5bea9af5e23e2c.jpg
21719715b80ca1a937b0ea25d0ce1762.jpg

SEeing a bunch of does though. That's encouraging.

Took my son out for the youth day yesterday. Started on a ridge top above where they normally roost and was surprised when they sounded off way up the valley about 500 yards from the normal spot. We dropped down two flats just above the creek and cut the distance to about 150 yards. We set up in a perfect spot and I started some light yelps. One gobbled and I could tell he was on the ground and on our side so I shut up. Ten minutes later he gobbled again, this time 50 yards away just out of sight! I told my son to get ready and sure enough here he comes down the logging road just perfect! He stops at less than ten yards and BOOM! He missed!! oh well was a fun morning. I'll be out tomorrow!

Bird was just behind the stump when he shot!
a4db2f2af664cbdb378949230cbe2705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essdub said:
Cool man. That's good times right there. How old is he?

He's seven. He's killed two bucks already and was with me last year when I killed my biggest gobbler ever. He's my good luck charm for sure!

Nice. That's a good time right there. I'm not sure what turkeys I have around me. Our season opened today. I found two of my private spots have some fresh sign and I bumped a hen off the nest yesterday. But I may have to drive down to Athens to get into a good number.

I have a spot down there now with a trailer with running water and electric with birds on it. Buddy hasn't put it on the market yet. 108 acres. I haven't seen it but he was there a few weeks ago and saw thirty birds in the pasture field. So if I make the 2 hour drive, it should be a good hunt.

essdub said:
I see this every day though. But I don't know where the rest are.

SEeing a bunch of does though. That's encouraging.

They split up to breed. She is likely on a nest near there, if I had to guess.

Back