• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Turkey season

Got all my gear by the door. Can't wait.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

We have been after them for almost 3 weeks. Me 0 - my son 3....he is done for the year. Scoot-n-Shoot decoy ended his year really fast. Turkey's reaction to the Scoot-n-Shoot........That is amazing to watch.
That decoy is mine for the rest of the season!

Season starts in 2 weeks for me. Patterning the shotgun and hanging cameras this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opening morning is here. Waiting on my hunting buddy now. Don't ya hate when they say 4am maybe earlier you get there earlier and here it is 5 min after 4 and he still ain't here?

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

IMG_1645.JPG
These guys are ready. Between my brother and I we have lots of places to go. Scouting is pretty easy. This was around 12:30 yesterday in Putnam County.

Last edited:
68e5f8429c201ad4dbfa1e762e88435e.jpg

Took my oldest daughter out with me this morning. Opening morning in VA. She didn't have a license so she was along for the fun. I decided if I had a chance I was going to take any legal gobbler. Sat up close to where I expected them to be roosting. It was 35 degrees and windy so the birds were really quiet this morning. But sure enough they were roosting there and finally one gobbled. They pitched down 60 yards away but over a slight rise. I called a few times and a hen popped over the hill straining to see the other "turkey". Slowly they fed into 30 yards with 2 Tom's strutting away but not offering a shot. They were coming in on my off side and there was a bush just to my right blocking me from swinging my gun that direction. We watched them feed for several minutes and I finally made a move to get my gun into position. That one hen caught me right as I got the gun in position and putted sending the hole flock back for the crest of the Hill. But the one gobbler cut through a shooting lane at a fast walk as he exited and that was his last and final mistake. Definitely was one of my smaller birds but one of my favorite hunts as I could share the fun with my daughter. Love taking my kids with me!
61a0fccffcf252b3a4181566ece52194.jpg
22baf24a741e7db208b8f04b5024b8b8.jpg
fe3a7e4d67f0f07af643f54a034920df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Patterned the 870 yesterday. Got a winner @ 20 yards with hevi shot magnum blend 3" 2oz 5,6,7 blend loads. 1st on left.

c9ed7340d56291c6645b99f61aa22aec.jpg

1e3755bdd3ed97415bdaa274748f2f63.jpg

Patterned the 870 yesterday. Got a winner @ 20 yards with hevi shot magnum blend 3" 2oz 5,6,7 blend loads. 1st on left.

c9ed7340d56291c6645b99f61aa22aec.jpg

1e3755bdd3ed97415bdaa274748f2f63.jpg

I'm using the mag blends in the 20ga this year. Patterns very well at 40 yards and the recoil is sooo much better than my 12 lol. Can't wait to try it
2e3b4d03635482923c049b6cc93f0e55.jpg

I'm using the mag blends in the 20ga this year. Patterns very well at 40 yards and the recoil is sooo much better than my 12 lol. Can't wait to try it
2e3b4d03635482923c049b6cc93f0e55.jpg

Nice. Last year I used Remington nitro loads but they kicked like a mule so I wanted to try something else. Well the hevi shot also kicks like a mule but the pattern was so tight I am willing to forgive some recoil. I didn't shoot out to 40 but am pretty confident I'd have a lot of bb's in the kill zone.

Also, if anyone is interested, I took the MIDNR printable turkey target and made it so it's easy to print at home on 8.5"X11" paper. Just download and print!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppqmd16g0kj62pk/turkey_target_8half_by_11.pdf?dl=0

I recommend Winchester XR Longbeards. The shell patterns unrealistic in 12 ga. and they have put out this shell in 20 ga also.
The cost is noticeably lower than the other upper priced shells.
I will be changing to the 20 ga next year cause I'm tired of the weight of the 12 ga. and I will be spitting longbeards out the killing end of it also.
The Longbeards are cheap enough to buy a box and give it a pattern try. Give it an honest try and you will change also.

I recommend Winchester XR Longbeards. The shell patterns unrealistic in 12 ga. and they have put out this shell in 20 ga also.
The cost is noticeably lower than the other upper priced shells.
I will be changing to the 20 ga next year cause I'm tired of the weight of the 12 ga. and I will be spitting longbeards out the killing end of it also.
The Longbeards are cheap enough to buy a box and give it a pattern try. Give it an honest try and you will change also.

Pretty much everyone I know is shooting the XR's. My buddies Benelli shoots unreal patterns with a 3.5" #5 load at 70 yards. I didn't even believe him when he sent a pic of it but he wasn't lying. I couldn't find the 20ga loads so I went with HeviShot Mag blends which costs way too much but they do shoot pretty good at 40. I'll be trying the XR's in it next year.

Great bird Flingin. How long have you hunted from a blind? Any tips or pointers?

Great bird Flingin. How long have you hunted from a blind? Any tips or pointers?

Honestly, I hate hunting from them lol. 98% of my hunts are run and gun with no blind and I prefer that method. Yesterday the rain forced me to use one and I'm glad I had it lol. For turkeys I don't think there's any real trick. They aren't like a deer and won't pay any attention to it. That's my experience at least. We have popped one up in the middle of a field with decoys and the birds will come right in most times and only focus on the decoys. The only tip I would give is only open the front windows and sit as far back as you can. They will never see you that way.

Back