• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Using 1" Webbing and Cam Buckle for Tether?

Nutterbuster

SH Member
After hunting out of my Kestrel all season, I've started looking for ways to shave weight and bulk. I've already switched my lineman's belt from HSS rope to a lone wolf belt. I love the compactness and one handed adjustment.

Has anybody used a similar 1" Webbing for a tether? And how would you rate the safety of the cambuckle for adjusting tether length. I know you would want a stopper of some sort in case it slipped. Anybody know the weight limit on the lone wolf buckles? And has anybody experienced excessive strap wear?

Sure would be nice to stuff tether and belt into one cargo pocket.

I personally would not use a cam strap for a tether.
I read the Kong Duck is able to use 10-15 mm tubular webbing ,but I have not done any research on the subject of the rating.
Could be an option for you .... I'd do a little homework on it before you try it.
Good luck~~~

Why wouldn't you use a cam buckle? Asking because I don't want to overlook any negatives. It seems to me that if it is strong enough to safely hold you while you're climbing with your sticks, it should be able to hold you when you're dangling in the air. Also, from what I understand it works very similarly to a ropeman, which seems pretty popular with some folks.

Not saying that I'm ready to trust my life to one just yet, but if the weight rating was adequate my only concern would be inadvertently pushing the lever to release the strap. That, or nicking the strap with a broadhead.

If it could be done safely it would be more compact and lighter than anything I've come across. You could wrap the strap around the buckle and secure it with a ranger band. It would fit in a pocket. Cheaper too. You can buy the Lone Wolf stick strap and extension for about half the cost of a ropeman.

I'm going to play with it some this week at ground level. While the buckle seems pretty rock solid climbing my sticks, it might creep if put under pressure for several hours in a hunting situation.

Going to read up on the Kong duck too. Getting rid of one rope was awesome. I'd like to go solely with straps if at all possible.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as you have a RCH and hooks below it to tree for a fall restraint.

Why wouldn't you use a cam buckle? Asking because I don't want to overlook any negatives. It seems to me that if it is strong enough to safely hold you while you're climbing with your sticks, it should be able to hold you when you're dangling in the air. Also, from what I understand it works very similarly to a ropeman, which seems pretty popular with some folks.

Not saying that I'm ready to trust my life to one just yet, but if the weight rating was adequate my only concern would be inadvertently pushing the lever to release the strap. That, or nicking the strap with a broadhead.

If it could be done safely it would be more compact and lighter than anything I've come across. You could wrap the strap around the buckle and secure it with a ranger band. It would fit in a pocket. Cheaper too. You can buy the Lone Wolf stick strap and extension for about half the cost of a ropeman.

I'm going to play with it some this week at ground level. While the buckle seems pretty rock solid climbing my sticks, it might creep if put under pressure for several hours in a hunting situation.

Going to read up on the Kong duck too. Getting rid of one rope was awesome. I'd like to go solely with straps if at all possible.

This thing has a breaking strength of 2800lbs. still less than normal climbing equipment.... but a normal cam buckle is 800-1,100lbs breaking strength.
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/1-Inch-Cam-Buckle-WLL-933-lbs-p/609.htm

I think you could use 1" webbing for a tether. I suppose you could use a cam buckle. I don't see why it wouldn't work, aside from obvious safety concerns. I'd be interested to hear how the kong duck performs with tubular webbing. Ropes add considerable bulk to the entire saddle setup. I am probably going to run with a webbing bridge for next season.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea. I can't say exactly why, I just don't like it based off everything I have learned.

I have no problem using 1" webbing to hang off of, but I would prefer to use 1" tubular webbing made for climbing. I have a couple ideas using this that I'm going to work on in the off season along these lines.

The problem with the kong duck and webbing is that the maximum width webbing is 15mm. This equates to 5/8" tubular webbing. The problem with this webbing is it is a huge drop off in strength from 1" tubular webbing. 1" bluewater tubular webbing is rated at 17.8 kN, while 5/8" is rated at 9 kN. If you were using it doubled up in a sling, that would be fine but with a duck you would not be using it like that.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as you have a RCH and hooks below it to tree for a fall restraint.

I'd be in my Kestrel, so that part should be good. What kind of hooks are you suggesting?

This thing has a breaking strength of 2800lbs. still less than normal climbing equipment.... but a normal cam buckle is 800-1,100lbs breaking strength.
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/1-Inch-Cam-Buckle-WLL-933-lbs-p/609.htm

I was looking at that earlier I think. I'm going to call Lone Wolf and see if they can/will provide their buckles weight ratings. I think 2,800lbs would be more than adequate. I know climbing equipment is rated higher in case of a drop, but I can't see the tether ever being subjected to that kind of force.

My biggest concern would be making sure that the cam buckle couldn't slide off the strap. Guess I need to read up on ropeman backup rigs.

Ropes add considerable bulk to the entire saddle setup.

Yes they do. Next to the sticks that I'm replacing with wild edge steps, my ropes take up the most pack space. Cutting that out would be huge.

I'd be in my Kestrel, so that part should be good. What kind of hooks are you suggesting?

I was looking at that earlier I think. I'm going to call Lone Wolf and see if they can/will provide their buckles weight ratings. I think 2,800lbs would be more than adequate. I know climbing equipment is rated higher in case of a drop, but I can't see the tether ever being subjected to that kind of force.

My biggest concern would be making sure that the cam buckle couldn't slide off the strap. Guess I need to read up on ropeman backup rigs.

Yes they do. Next to the sticks that I'm replacing with wild edge steps, my ropes take up the most pack space. Cutting that out would be huge.
There is a big difference when falling... I'm outset sure their buckles are not rated for a static fall

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Red, thanks for chiming in. I'm in the same boat as you. I think it would work, but I distrust it for...reasons. Kind of a gut feeling thing.

I need to look at tubular webbing a bit more. I would feel comfortable with 9 kN I think. That's way below most folks' standards, but I just don't see generating that much force in a "fall." I never have more than a few inches of slack in my tether, and I'm not a big feller.

Maybe the better question is "What do you think is the lightest and most compact one-hand adjustable web tether option?"

No need to back it up. Every5hing is climbing rated for many thousands of pounds. Packs nice too.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I’m still running 11mm Yale bandit. Stuff is bulky. Don’t suppose you have any laying around to do a side by side with the 9mm cord? Doesn’t seem like that 2mm dia reduction would amount to all the much volume shaved off the rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m still running 11mm Yale bandit. Stuff is bulky. Don’t suppose you have any laying around to do a side by side with the 9mm cord? Doesn’t seem like that 2mm dia reduction would amount to all the much volume shaved off the rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does. I’ll take a pic when I get a chance.

Myself, I've had the cam buckles fail in the past. Not in a climbing situation but in tie down use. I've got top quality tie downs that I use to transport motorcycles and have had the cam buckles slip. Now any time I use a 1" cam buckle tie down transporting motorcycles, I tie a knot directly under the buckle with tail end of the tie down so if it slips the knot will keep the motorcycle from falling from the trailer. There's no way I'd trust my well being to one of them....:eek:

You guys have done gone and made me nervous now! I'll probably start looking into a lighter rope option, and maybe cut back on my tether length. That and my wild edge steps (when they get here) should get me down to an acceptable swamp-slogging package.

You guys have done gone and made me nervous now! I'll probably start looking into a lighter rope option, and maybe cut back on my tether length. That and my wild edge steps (when they get here) should get me down to an acceptable swamp-slogging package.
I'm guilty of pushing the limits. But I wouldn't use a cam buckle/strap for a tether. There are other options that are far superior in every way.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Myself, I've had the cam buckles fail in the past. Not in a climbing situation but in tie down use. I've got top quality tie downs that I use to transport motorcycles and have had the cam buckles slip. Now any time I use a 1" cam buckle tie down transporting motorcycles, I tie a knot directly under the buckle with tail end of the tie down so if it slips the knot will keep the motorcycle from falling from the trailer. There's no way I'd trust my well being to one of them....:eek:

I quit using cam buckles to tie down motorcycles for this very reason. I will only use ratchet straps now. I sure wouldn’t use one as a tether.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't even trust cam buckles to do what they were designed to do.

Has anyone compared the proposed setup of webbing and a cam buckle vs a ropeman 2 and a 8/9mm climbing rated rope? My guess is that the difference would be negligible.

Back