• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Very rough set up

Waymore

well I just might've set the record for the longest time setting up three sticks with aiders hang a Tree stand. I am using some new CMI three-step Ater's and the first tree I attempted I found out that unless the tree is pretty straight those Ater's don't work very well. Not to mention my muddy pro sticks bottom would kick out. I just decided to abort that tree and go to another close by. The next tree while climbing one of my sticks fell. Climb back down. Then after sticks set pull up stand and hang. Climb down tie rope from stand to bow and backpack climb back up. Go to pull rope up and knot breaks on stand luckily bow still on ground. Climb back down. Make sure knot is good on bow climb back up. But I forgot to tie other end f rope to rc harness Climb down and up again finally settle in totally exhausted and frustrated. Realize there is a knot on tree in middle of my back but at that point I could care less. Now I remember why I stopped using tree stands. I hope you guys get a kick out of my story

I bet you'll get leg cramps tonight from all that up and down haha! My temper is too short, I would've thrown a little school girl fit and gone back to the truck haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happens to the best of us. Don't feel bad. When I was learning to use aiders and sticks I had a very rough few setups. It gets better and easier.

How are sticks with aiders tied to hang on badness? Gaining elevation is a separate issue than whether one uses hang on / saddle once elevation is gained.

I like my guidos web, but I do not drink the "saddle kool aid". Just not sure how your choice of gaining elevation maps to your "bad" choice of hang on.

Related, I am not so nimble and anything more than a one step aider at the first stick is beyond my comfort zone, regardless of GW or hang on.

A man has got to know his limits and operate within them. I am not a spur wearin, tree bolt drillin, no stick or one stick aider climbing tree ninja. I am at peace with this. Not saying that is the path for all, it is just for me. I carry three to five sticks and deal with the weight. It allows me to feel safe ascending the tree.

My best wishes for your safe and successful hunts.

Have you practiced with the sticks and aiders? Sticks and aiders definitely work better after you've practiced and developed a routine.

The first time I tried to use sticks (and hang a lone wolf Alpha) was in front of my wife.

Let's just say it was similar to your experience and she got a kick out of my story. Needless to say 60-75 minutes later I had my tree stand hung at about 15' with 4 sticks. I still laugh because I can get up to 25' in 10-15 min wit 4 sticks now!

The first time I tried to use sticks (and hang a lone wolf Alpha) was in front of my wife.

Let's just say it was similar to your experience and she for a kick out of my story. Needless to say 60-75 minutes later I had my tree stand hung at about 15' with 4 sticks. I still alight because I can get up to 25' in 10-15 min wit 4 sticks now!

She also watched me use a stick with an aider (after getting the awesome idea off of saddle hunter) and just about eat it 6' from the ground. She got a good laugh from that too.

I have practiced bt only a few times and on straight trees. I underestimated the difficulty as you gys make it look so easy. I am not giving up but agree about knowing your limitations and comfort level. It was just one of those days

I have practiced bt only a few times and on straight trees. I underestimated the difficulty as you gys make it look so easy. I am not giving up but agree about knowing your limitations and comfort level. It was just one of those days

Get knocked down 10 times, get up 11. That is success. Research others methods and find something that works for you. You'll do well. Just keep safety first, efficiency and quietness next, and you'll be fine.

She also watched me use a stick with an aider (after getting the awesome idea off of saddle hunter) and just about eat it 6' from the ground. She got a good laugh from that too.

I tried a 3 step aider. Once. on the way down, my foot swung right, my knee left. I pulled some muscle in my upper leg and could not pick up my foot to the right (for about 4 days). I did not inform my wife, as she is chock full of laughter at my other hunting escapades and I thought this experience would put her over the top.

Safety, efficiency and a routine. In no time, there will be success. Initial learning curve is steep, but relatively short.

I have a 5 step ertrier on bottom and 3 step ertrier on the next 2 sticks. Practice is all I can say. I still have a hard time every once in awhile. I usually pick a tree that's to large in diameter and it makes climbing tough for me

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

I feel your pain! I've had a few dumb hunts where I just had too many options and too much crap with me...

PRACTICE!

And sometimes you just need to sit on the ground

Sure sounds a lot like a few of my early hunts with the Web! We have all had those days and even now after getting my system nailed down I still have a hunt sometimes where nothing goes right. That kind of stuff happens, you just have to laugh it off and try again!

Every Monday this year seems to be like that for me. We're a one car house and in the weekend I become errand man so I have to take all my hunting stuff out of my escape to fit everyone and everything. (dog hair included) Come Monday I'm amazed if I can find my rope and harness.

I will prob ditch the multi aiders for now. The single homemade ones are not too bad. Have to add another stick and or steps to get to my desired height. Unfortunately can't use screw ins.

Funny thing. I will climb to height using ONLY aiders. But I find that using Aiders with Sticks to be harder more hazardous because f the transitions to and from the Sticks.
A single loop on each stick is way easier and I don't get 'greedy' trying to get too much space between sticks and Loops.
I will prob ditch the multi aiders for now. The single homemade ones are not too bad. Have to add another stick and or steps to get to my desired height. Unfortunately can't use screw ins.

Many of my hunts were like that. Very exhausting to say the least. Now that Im not lugging that heavy LW stand and 4 sticks, its easier, but still not lighting fast like some guys. It just takes some time. Also being able to carry the 2nd and 3rd stick on my back as I climb has eliminated several up.down trips, which is a life saver.

I'm only using single aiders on my sticks. 3 sticks plus anywhere from 3-5 cranford rope steps are not a bad option at all.

One question I have is my Muddy Pro sticks tend to kick out at the bottom. I'm think he it's because it's hard to get them real tight wth the rope and cam system. Do you guys have that problem?

One question I have is my Muddy Pro sticks tend to kick out at the bottom. I'm think he it's because it's hard to get them real tight wth the rope and cam system. Do you guys have that problem?
I have been using them for 4 years now and have never had problems with kick out.

Back