• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Walking through hunting land

essdub

I just spent some time walking through the lower portion of the property behind the house to the creek. I thought I'd make a quick couple videos to show you guys some of the thick stuff and a few of my favorite spots on this side of the little ridge.
Here's a link to one video showing a small clearing where I screwed up a sure shot last season. Then you can click on the other videos if you want from there. A few show really heavy stuff and swampy areas near the creek that I hunt. Then by the clear cut. The videos Are mostly very short, only 30-45 second each, but there's a couple that are minute or three.

https://youtu.be/QswUwx2lMeI

Shaun

It's cool to see the areas different people hunt. Some are drastically different than others. Even within my own state some of my areas are very different. I think sometimes people forget when giving advice on the internet that what works for someone might not work for others due to differences in terrain.

redsquirrel said:
It's cool to see the areas different people hunt. Some are drastically different than others. Even within my own state some of my areas are very different. I think sometimes people forget when giving advice on the internet that what works for someone might not work for others due to differences in terrain.

This is so true.

I grew up hunting in the deep south - FL & AL. Then I transitioned out West to Colorado. Now I'm in the frozen Northeast. There is definitely a learning curve to being successful in the different environments.

Even within a few miles, things can be much much different. I hunted my land with fair success for years. Then I went with my buddy to his land and within minutes found a great spot that he never considered. He might do the same if he were to come here. I might be accustomed to game behaving a certain way here and then blame myself or something else if I'm not seeing any during a hunt. But it could be that the game animals have changed their habits. That is apparently what happened at my friend's. He swears that deer never came through that heavy thick stuff I hunted before and that it was too thick to get in there and hunt, also that he had his stands set up where they were because that's where they were seeing deer. But I know that here on my property, it's mostly very very thick and that the deer use that creek a lot as a corridor. And the land gets progressively more wet and marshy until it gets into the real swamp outside my hunting area. My friend hunted a farm and concentrated on the fields. But all I saw when we pulled up was that overgrown thick dense brush and small trees that formed a narrow but long boundary between the river and the fields. I think I'd love the opportunity to hunt in a different setting.I am looking forward to getting that chance this year in AriZona (hopefully) and at saddle Palooza. Maybe another state or two if I can work it out

Shaun

I'm with you Shaun. IMO, the thicker the better!

Back